Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

With James out, what seed will MU earn in the NCAA tournament

0 (0%)
1 (2.1%)
13 (27.7%)
18 (38.3%)
6 or worse
15 (31.9%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: What NCAA seed is MU heading towards  (Read 1508 times)

Coleman

• All American
What NCAA seed is MU heading towards
« on: February 28, 2009, 04:37:59 PM »
I'm thinking a 5. I think we will finish out the regular season 1-2 with a win against Syracuse and get a 4 or 5 seed in the Big East tournament. A win against Nova in the BET could move us up to a 4, but I don't see us drawing any higher than that.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 11:28:08 PM by ReneeRowarrior »

SERocks

• Team Captain
Re: What seed NCAA is MU heading towards
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 04:53:43 PM »
Seems to me it all depends upon how the team responds to losing its main stud.  Also appears that the coaches believe the drop off from James to anyone else was too great as no one else got significant playing time.  So, at least in practice, the guys have not shown the ability to play quality minutes.  IF any of them step up and are gamers, we could do some damage and be OK.  If so, we could retain a high seed. 

- Hopeful but not blind.

SE

Big Daddy Z

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 05:25:08 PM »
 5 if they win a game in the Big East Tourney...if not they drop to a 7

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 06:59:15 PM »
I say a 5, but ESPN's Mark Schlabach like many others will be seeing how MU performs - without DJ - during the rest of the gauntlet and BE Tourney before seeding:

Injuries are beginning to take their toll on a few of the country's best teams, which might play a big role in where No. 3 Oklahoma and No. 10 Marquette are seeded in the NCAA tournament. OU probably won't have forward Blake Griffin again when it plays at Texas Tech on Saturday. The Sooners can only hope Griffin has recovered from a concussion by the time they play at No. 8 Missouri on Wednesday night. Marquette won't have guard Dominic James for the rest of the season, after he broke his left foot in Wednesday night's 93-82 loss to Connecticut. The Golden Eagles won't have much time to adjust -- they play at Louisville on Sunday and at Pitt on Wednesday. I, and almost assuredly the committee, will be watching these two teams closely.
SS Marquette

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 06:59:50 PM »
Considering we get crapped on every year, 6 or 7.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 07:24:38 PM »
The committee will most definitley be watching MU closely...but they also need to consider the opponets MU is playing. Frankly, they probably would have lost to UL and Pitt anyway, so if they just get pounded they can take something from those games, assuming they don't however, I am not sure there is much to learn there. The Syracuse game and BET will be key for MU. I don't care where they come, if MU wins 2 games prior to selection Sunday, a 5 seed should be there absolute basement. If they lose to Syracuse, all bets are off...they probably go in as about a 7 seed.

As far as the Oklahoma comments go...assuming Griffin comes back at some point and they win as they have been, they might as well not even play the games he is missing as they won't count for diddly squat (at least they shouldn't). The only reason to watch Oklahoma closely is on the off chance Griffin doesn't come back at all.