Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BET: 4th or 5th Seed?  (Read 2274 times)

Pardner

BET: 4th or 5th Seed?
« on: February 28, 2009, 01:57:59 PM »
So, with DJ out and our realistic chances of winning the BE slimmer...which is the better seed in the BE?  I say the #5 seed isn't so bad.  Here is why:

>>One less day off since our previous game on Saturday vs. Cuse.
>>Get one win under our belts post-season in an away setting on a national stage--against a #12 or 13 seed (SJU or SH?).  Gives our extended bench some needed minutes with DJ out.
>>Chances are we play Nova either way (4 v. 5).  A first game in the post-season tourney with that longer lay-off and idle time is tough sometimes (4 seed).
>>We get a good chance to get an extra win or two to positively impact our last 10 games for the NCAA seeding. 
>>We match-up okay vs. Nova compared to the other three ahead of us.  Debate of fresh legs (double bye) vs. longer layoff (Nova)...Nova's rust may get us into the semis especially with the way Nova has been playing.
>>Not likely to be one and done...continuing our momentum into the NCAA"s.
>>Likely chance at an extra rest going into the NCAA's--epsecially with a lower seed and travel west or east a possibility with DJ out.

Now, the third or fourth game in a row will be tough on the legs...but with DJ out, and us matched-up with UL, Pitt or UConn, chances are we lose anyway--but we get some NCAA shine coming our way and we get one more cahnce to show we still have a team who deserves a high seed.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: BET: 4th or 5th Seed?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 02:02:12 PM »
Here's how I would like to see it go.  ND continues to be a hot team and beats UConn today.  We are somehow able to pull out a victory over Louisville.  There is a 4 way tie for 1st in the Big East going into the last week of the season, and we take the last 2 games 1 at a time.

Optimistic?  Yes.  Possible?  Yes.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 02:03:13 PM »
I'll take the 4th seed and the double bye any day over the 5th seed.  Extra day of rest will help us and finishing fourth will get us a better shot at a high seed in the NCAA tourney.

Pardner

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 02:19:19 PM »
I'll take the 4th seed and the double bye any day over the 5th seed.  Extra day of rest will help us and finishing fourth will get us a better shot at a high seed in the NCAA tourney.

Our last 10 game span would start with USF (with one in the BET)...and with two road games against Top 10 teams, a hungry and desperate Cuse and a #12 Nova (sure to drop after today but still high)...that is not too Rosy an outlook for high NCAA seed...considering MU got dinged in their NCAA seed when Jerel was out.  If we win two of the last three regular season vs. backing into the four seed with Nova losses...then I'll take the 4 in the BET.   Otherwise, I am not so convinced a 5 in BET isn't better. 

romey

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 02:21:34 PM »
I thought someone mentioned on this board that the tournament committee will look at the last 12 vs. the last ten games this year.  Is that right or am i off base?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 02:32:25 PM »
I thought someone mentioned on this board that the tournament committee will look at the last 12 vs. the last ten games this year.  Is that right or am i off base?

That is correct....they started looking at last 12 last year. The last 12 for MU, not counting the BET right now would start with the @ Notre Dame game, and IF MU were to lose these last 3, they would be 6-6 in the last 12.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Pardner

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 03:45:39 PM »
That is correct....they started looking at last 12 last year. The last 12 for MU, not counting the BET right now would start with the @ Notre Dame game, and IF MU were to lose these last 3, they would be 6-6 in the last 12.

Thanks...that makes sense...especially with the expanded BE schedule.  Fingers crossed...still think a 5 seed not so bad for MU. 

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 03:55:10 PM »
MU always gets screwed. 6th seed

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 03:57:39 PM »
Our last 10 game span would start with USF (with one in the BET)...and with two road games against Top 10 teams, a hungry and desperate Cuse and a #12 Nova (sure to drop after today but still high)...that is not too Rosy an outlook for high NCAA seed...considering MU got dinged in their NCAA seed when Jerel was out.  If we win two of the last three regular season vs. backing into the four seed with Nova losses...then I'll take the 4 in the BET.   Otherwise, I am not so convinced a 5 in BET isn't better. 

It's now the last 12 games instead of last 10 that the NCAA looks at

muguru

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 04:23:35 PM »
Thanks...that makes sense...especially with the expanded BE schedule.  Fingers crossed...still think a 5 seed not so bad for MU. 

My problem with them getting a 5 would be they would then likely get shipped out to Boise or Portlans as opposed to being able to play in Minneapolis, Dayton or Kansas City. Though MU always gets screwed on seed AND location every year, so nothing will surprise me come selection Sunday.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 04:29:30 PM »
I think you have to hope for a 4th seed in the Big East tournament. 4th in the conference is given much more prestige (because of the double-bye status) and probably is the difference between 4 and 5 seeds in the NCAA tournament (or unfortunately even 5 and 6, either way I think we move down a notch in NCAA seeding if we don't get the double-bye).

That being said, the 5 seed in the Big East tourny is not a bad place to be. Picking up one more win (hopefully) would help our cause and we end up playing the same team (Nova) we would play as a 4th seed.  With James out, its not like we are gonna win this tournament anyway. I think getting to the semi's is our ceiling anyway, so the playing one more game isn't gonna hurt us too much in terms of our stamina.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 04:33:02 PM by ReneeRowarrior »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 04:30:38 PM »

My problem with them getting a 5 would be they would then likely get shipped out to Boise or Portlans as opposed to being able to play in Minneapolis, Dayton or Kansas City. Though MU always gets screwed on seed AND location every year, so nothing will surprise me come selection Sunday.
[/quote]

I thought we were talking about the Big East tournament....

I'm still hoping we can secure a 4 in the NCAA...

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 06:10:52 PM »
I dont want to finish fifth and only get one bye.  It provides a chance for us to get upset and really hurt our seed.  Do we really want to play Georgetown again, which very well could be a possibility.  I know I don't.