Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buycks leads team to playoff win  (Read 3559 times)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

lab_warrior

• All American
Re: Buycks leads team to playoff win
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 03:12:17 PM »
Maymon is clearly the jewel of this  next class, but I really like what I am hearing about Buycks (and EWill, too)...sounds like this dude Buycks can score, and handle the ball.  Just what we need with all of those "aircraft carriers" we're getting.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 03:38:35 PM »
Maymon is clearly the jewel of this  next class, but I really like what I am hearing about Buycks (and EWill, too)...sounds like this dude Buycks can score, and handle the ball.  Just what we need with all of those "aircraft carriers" we're getting.

With the loss of James I really think Cadougan might prove to be our gem.

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 04:31:49 PM »
With the loss of James I really think Cadougan might prove to be our gem.
What's the connection I'm missing here?

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 05:22:22 PM »
I think Cadugan needs to get into much better shape before he makes any decent impact on the team next year.  I do have high hopes for Cadugan once he achieves that.  Buycks is the real deal and will be an impact player right away on both ends of the floor.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 06:31:18 PM »
What's the connection I'm missing here?

James is a great PG.  With his loss we will have a huge hole, but from what I have seen Cadougan in due time could be just as good a playmaker and leader. 

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 06:34:11 PM »
During the UCONN game Dukie V. mentioned Maymon and Cadougan.  He also said to "remember the name Dwight Buycks because he's going to be a good one!"
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

HarryBalczak

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 06:57:44 PM »
I will leave Erik Williams and Brett Roseboro out of this since I haven't seen them play in person.  I have seen Maymon, Cadougan and Buycks play THIS winter and this is how I would rate their impact:

1). Buycks - Has really become a complete player and is the extension of Indian Hills coach Jeff Kidder on the floor even though he often plays the off-guard.  Indian Hills is extremely well coached (D1 college system) and Buycks has bought in totally.  He calls out the offense and the defense and is constantly pointing to guys to be in certain spots on both ends.  Plays hard on both ends and will be a starter from day one, no doubt.  Is now hitting over 80% of his free throws and nearly 50% of his three pointers this year and averaging almost 5 assists a game.  His ability to make the right read at the right time is uncanny for this JUCO All-American.  Whenever Indian Hills needs a play, Buycks is the man.

2). Cadougan - May be the best natural passer recruited to MU since Sam Worthen.  Weight may be an issue to some extent, but I think it's overblown as he has very quick feet on offense and if Levance Fields can guard in the Big East, Junior can do it as well.  Really, really solid ballhandler who can play in the uptempo or halfcourt game and shoots it decently from mid-range to the three point line.  Won't have to be a scorer like Dominic was as a freshman, so I think he'll do fine running the team and that's his strength anyway.

3). Maymon - Has had a good, not great, senior year and I'll have to see him play in the exhibition season to see how much he'll impact the team next year.  Combo forward who will need to go back to being a dominant rebounder to get a starting spot next year and I want to see him guard college players as he tends to play too high on the defensive end.  Has played inconsistently and in spurts this year and as the post-season approaches, I want him to get his old mind set back for the regional tournament this coming week.  I think he'll come off the bench early at Marquette, but could earn a starting spot if he comes in with a good mindset.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 07:08:43 PM »
50% 3pt shooting from Buycks? wow... If JC is good at the point and Buzz can develop Otule and McMorrow into productive 5's, we could be pretty solid.  Regardless, we are definitely going to lose some games because of our youth but its all part of the process.  If we make the tourney next season, it would be a major accomplishment for Buzz and his staff. 
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 08:47:48 PM »
50% 3pt shooting from Buycks? wow... If JC is good at the point and Buzz can develop Otule and McMorrow into productive 5's, we could be pretty solid.  Regardless, we are definitely going to lose some games because of our youth but its all part of the process.  If we make the tourney next season, it would be a major accomplishment for Buzz and his staff. 

50% but that is against JUCO defenders so it won't translate.  right murf?

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
James is a great PG.  With his loss we will have a huge hole, but from what I have seen Cadougan in due time could be just as good a playmaker and leader. 
Ah, loss to graduation, not injury.  That makes sense now.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 10:40:47 PM »

I think we have the talent and depth next year to be a tournament team.  But we have to expect some of the newcomers to struggle, and have to expect that they will have a ceiling in their first seasons.  McNeal was even more turnover prone, often got his shot blocked in the lane, and a poor three point shooter as a freshman, and look at him now.  The thing is, you can expect the former of a lot of the newcomers next year, and if they're close to as good as our seniors now were when they were freshmen we should be pleased.  

The success of the team will largely depend on the veterans.  When Hayward goes from the afterthought behind the "Big Three" being the "Big One", will he be able to take advantage of that opportunity to be "The Man" when every team knows who the MVP is and will prepare accordingly?  Will Butler continue to improve and develop into a team leader?  And can Acker gain some momentum this year and be able to produce next year?  With a freshman point guard and Juco transfer in the backcourt, we will need Acker to put up 6 points and 2-3 assists in 15 minutes, which is a lot bigger role than being a stopgap like this year.  And the last factor, especially with so many newcomers, is will they play defense?  That's what will keep us in games, and losing some of the best defenders in the Big East will be tough.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 10:43:13 PM »
I will leave Erik Williams and Brett Roseboro out of this since I haven't seen them play in person.  I have seen Maymon, Cadougan and Buycks play THIS winter and this is how I would rate their impact:

1). Buycks - Has really become a complete player and is the extension of Indian Hills coach Jeff Kidder on the floor even though he often plays the off-guard.  Indian Hills is extremely well coached (D1 college system) and Buycks has bought in totally.  He calls out the offense and the defense and is constantly pointing to guys to be in certain spots on both ends.  Plays hard on both ends and will be a starter from day one, no doubt.  Is now hitting over 80% of his free throws and nearly 50% of his three pointers this year and averaging almost 5 assists a game.  His ability to make the right read at the right time is uncanny for this JUCO All-American.  Whenever Indian Hills needs a play, Buycks is the man.

2). Cadougan - May be the best natural passer recruited to MU since Sam Worthen.  Weight may be an issue to some extent, but I think it's overblown as he has very quick feet on offense and if Levance Fields can guard in the Big East, Junior can do it as well.  Really, really solid ballhandler who can play in the uptempo or halfcourt game and shoots it decently from mid-range to the three point line.  Won't have to be a scorer like Dominic was as a freshman, so I think he'll do fine running the team and that's his strength anyway.

3). Maymon - Has had a good, not great, senior year and I'll have to see him play in the exhibition season to see how much he'll impact the team next year.  Combo forward who will need to go back to being a dominant rebounder to get a starting spot next year and I want to see him guard college players as he tends to play too high on the defensive end.  Has played inconsistently and in spurts this year and as the post-season approaches, I want him to get his old mind set back for the regional tournament this coming week.  I think he'll come off the bench early at Marquette, but could earn a starting spot if he comes in with a good mindset.

Jim....Jim, is that you?

nola03

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 08:54:56 AM »

Wasn't he assured of a starting spot when he committed?

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 09:16:23 AM »

That Madison team is just loaded with talent, playing against teams with way lower talent.  My guess is that it is hard to bring every night against teams that you should dominate and that is why you see a lot of the ups and downs with that entire team.  I think Maymon will be a stud next year and that is based off of what he has done against top competition in the State tourny and in the NY summer league that he played in last summer.  Oh and here is hoping that that Madison Memorial pipeline keeps coming to MU.

romey

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 09:26:05 AM »
Just curious, is Madison Memorial a public or private school?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 09:32:07 AM »
the former
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MarquetteDano

• All American
Tournament team
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 11:31:30 AM »
Reading this thread I was surprised that people are mentioning the tourney next year.  I have not seen a single one of these new recruits other than some YouTube videos.  We lose four of five starters and people think this class can get us to the tournament next year?  I just find that very surprising.  Like I said, I haven't seen them but this would have to be an amazing class to get to the tourney next year (ala the three amigos four years ago).

I had set my expectations on the NIT next year with a good run in it (Elite 8 or better) as a great sign for the future.  I would be quite happy for the expectations to be exceeded but I will keep them there for now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 06:18:33 PM »
That Madison team is just loaded with talent, playing against teams with way lower talent.  My guess is that it is hard to bring every night against teams that you should dominate and that is why you see a lot of the ups and downs with that entire team.  I think Maymon will be a stud next year and that is based off of what he has done against top competition in the State tourny and in the NY summer league that he played in last summer.  Oh and here is hoping that that Madison Memorial pipeline keeps coming to MU.

Madison Memorial has a relatively easy path to state.  Madison East is the only team that will present a challenge, although Waunakee is playing pretty well, but not in MM's league.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 06:35:38 PM »

Aren't teams also primarily focusing on Maymon as well? I thought I remember hearing he has been facing costant double and sometimes triple teams, so he has deferred to the other D-I talent on that team. 

feedback