Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Don't count Marquette out just yet  (Read 2071 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Don't count Marquette out just yet
« on: February 26, 2009, 09:14:39 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3935901

No matter what your level of cynicism is toward college basketball—if you insist on pointing to the corruption, coaching salaries, or belabor the fact that Kevin Durant would be a junior right now and it's a shame the college game has turned into a factory of sorts—you still had to feel for Marquette senior Dominic James last night.

During a 92-83 loss to UConn, the senior point guard snapped a bone in his foot during a sequence that he's been involved in similarly thousands of times. It was a fluke, but potentially a dagger to Marquette's Final Four hopes.

Or…maybe there's still something there.

We'll be honest, we saw the James-McNeal-Hayward backcourt as one of the better reasons to turn on college hoops this year. Imminently fun to watch. Slashing, running, shooting. It kinda reminded us of the Bibby-Simon-Dickerson guard-dominated Arizona team that won a National Championship over Kentucky.

Despite this loss, we still think Marquette has reason for hope. For one, UConn played one of their best offensive games in the last two years, and A.J. Price simply shot out of his mind. Not every week will Marquette run into such an opponent, and come the Madness, wouldn't have to stop a performance like that until a Saturday or Monday in April. More, the Marquette backcourt is still dynamic.

If you read this piece about Jerel McNeal and Maurice Acker, you'll know that this team has a chemistry that extends off the court, which is exactly what they'll need in the absence of James. Secondly, Marquette may have just eliminated themselves from winning a 7-game series against any other team in the top five. But this is still a group with the ability to blow you away on the perimeter, and their ability to get in the lane and cause headaches for defenses, while hampered by the loss of James, isn't going to stop.

If teams overlook them based on the loss they've suffered, better yet. It's a shame for the senior, but James' injury just also gave every team an excuse, and Marquette a reason to play inspired. It can be a special combination.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3772477
Ludum habemus.

MUDPT

• All American
Re: Don't count Marquette out just yet
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:17:56 PM »
I don't know if anybody else saw this, but during the UConn timeout when Mo hit two threes, he ran over to DJ and was the first person to embrace.  This team has chemistry.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:23:27 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3935901

We'll be honest, we saw the James-McNeal-Hayward backcourt as one of the better reasons to turn on college hoops this year. Imminently fun to watch. Slashing, running, shooting. It kinda reminded us of the Bibby-Simon-Dickerson guard-dominated Arizona team that won a National Championship over Kentucky.

I assume they mean Matthews, not Hayward...  ::)
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 10:12:13 PM »
I don't know if anybody else saw this, but during the UConn timeout when Mo hit two threes, he ran over to DJ and was the first person to embrace.  This team has chemistry.

As great as it was to be at this game, atmosphere and all, there's part of me that wishes I could have seen the drama of it unfold via ESPN camera work.  It's stuff like this, stuff like James returning on crutches and cheering on the team with tears in his eyes, that you don't see from halfway up the lower bowl on the side of the benches.

TallTitan, or anyone, if you have a short clip of this moment or any like it you'd be willing to share, I'd love to see it.  If not, no big deal, 'Nic will be there at Louisville, at Pitt, and certainly vs. Syracuse as well.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 10:14:53 PM »
.... 'Nic will be there at Louisville, at Pitt, and certainly vs. Syracuse as well.

Think I read somewhere that if DJ has surgery tomorrow, he will not make the Louisville trip.

-SE

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:23:05 PM »
Think I read somewhere that if DJ has surgery tomorrow, he will not make the Louisville trip.

-SE

Aww that sucks. I think it would be really good for our team's motivation to see him cheering them on.

But I guess he's gotta get the surgery ASAP to be in shape for NBA workouts.

MUWARRIORS4ME

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 09:09:52 AM »
I too have heard the Dom will not be making the trip, but the man has a heart of GOLD! He'll make it down there and be right on the side line. He knows that he can't miss the game and I look forward to the applause of Louisville fans. They may be our rival, but they made the trip to the Big East with us. When you think Louisville, you think its rivalry with Marquette!

Our thoughts and prayers are with you Dom

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 09:24:01 AM »
As great as it was to be at this game, atmosphere and all, there's part of me that wishes I could have seen the drama of it unfold via ESPN camera work.  It's stuff like this, stuff like James returning on crutches and cheering on the team with tears in his eyes, that you don't see from halfway up the lower bowl on the side of the benches.

TallTitan, or anyone, if you have a short clip of this moment or any like it you'd be willing to share, I'd love to see it.  If not, no big deal, 'Nic will be there at Louisville, at Pitt, and certainly vs. Syracuse as well.

Yeah, they announced right away that he was out for the game....so you knew it wasn't good.  They showed him grabbing what looked to be his ankle so I figured he sprained it.  When they showed him after halftime with a confirmed broken foot you could tell he was extremely emotional, it was really hard to see.  I'm sure I speak for everyone when you just felt horrible for the guy.

feedback