Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SportsCenter this morning: "Maurice Acker...it's up to you."  (Read 8710 times)

Wade for President

• All American
SportsCenter this morning: "Maurice Acker...it's up to you."
« on: February 26, 2009, 02:37:28 PM »
Less than 24 hours removed from one of the most heartbreaking moments in recent MU history...SC Live anchor Josh Elliott, finished off the MU/UCONN highlights by saying, "Maurice Acker, it's up to you."

Given the success of the team this year, we know that statement isn't entirely true, but for the basis of my post, it is. 

It was painfully obvious how hesitant Mo was from pulling the trigger last night and much of this season.  I don't know about you guys, but after Mo's 3 hit the rim for what felt like 50 times before bouncing in, I believe (and hope) that that was a sign that Mo's struggles this year are in the past.

I've stayed away from this board for much of the day, in pure shock and sadness at what transpired with DJ last night.  What's done is done.  Can't do anything about it, but pick up the pieces, and move on.

With limited options at the point, it's time for Mo to step up.  His time is now...and this team needs him to perform with confidence.

No excuses moving forward.  As echoed on this board by many...this season is not over.  We have a lot to play for, and it resumes this Sunday in Louisville.

In the epic words of Damon Wayans...Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money!

MUWeb7

• Starter
Re: SportsCenter this morning: "Maurice Acker...it's up to you."
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 03:18:24 PM »
Talking about those threes. Last night that first one scared me, the 2nd three...I knew it was going in and he swished it. I think he might get some confidence if he is given a larger role (starting PG), which could lead to him knocking down threes like we've seen in the past. This is the only positive that we might see with Mo over James...there is a possibility to have a threat behind the arc from our PG.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 03:24:38 PM »
Agreed completely!  Time for Mo to step up.  We're looking for limited turnovers, enough defense to get by, and some offensive production, no matter how small (can't have another guy getting big minutes who's not a threat to score even a couple).  There's no reason he can't do it.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 03:31:44 PM »
I was very glad to see MO get a couple shots knocked down...if he can regain the late season from he had last year, it will be a REALLY big boost.  I think the same way about Cubes, too, he just needs a shot or two to go down, and get it going. 

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 03:55:35 PM »
Agreed completely!  Time for Mo to step up.  We're looking for limited turnovers, enough defense to get by, and some offensive production, no matter how small (can't have another guy getting big minutes who's not a threat to score even a couple).  There's no reason he can't do it.

+1.  Give us 20 minutes a game, knock down a couple open looks, hit your free throws, don't turn the ball over, and play decent enough defense like you did at the end of last season and we should still have a decent chance. 
The General has taken on a new command.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 06:51:37 PM »
Give us 20 minutes a game, knock down a couple open looks, hit your free throws, don't turn the ball over, and play decent enough defense like you did at the end of last season and we should still have a decent chance. 

Who plays the other 20 minutes at the point?  McNeil?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

MUhoops12

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 07:32:05 PM »
Who plays the other 20 minutes at the point?  McNeil?

McNeal?

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 09:13:10 PM »
McNeal?

And Matthews.  20-25 minutes, whatever; I just don't think that Acker is going to be that effective, particularly defensively, if he's gotta play 30+ like he did last night.  Squeeze 5-7 out of Cooby right now, and find a few minutes to throw Hazel/Fulce in there at the 4/5 so we don't have to wear Lazar or Butler out at the 5 spot too when Burke goes out.  We can survive. 
The General has taken on a new command.

MUhoops12

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 09:20:06 PM »
And Matthews.  20-25 minutes, whatever; I just don't think that Acker is going to be that effective, particularly defensively, if he's gotta play 30+ like he did last night.  Squeeze 5-7 out of Cooby right now, and find a few minutes to throw Hazel/Fulce in there at the 4/5 so we don't have to wear Lazar or Butler out at the 5 spot too when Burke goes out.  We can survive. 
I agree 100 percent

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 10:11:07 PM »
And Matthews.  20-25 minutes, whatever; I just don't think that Acker is going to be that effective, particularly defensively, if he's gotta play 30+ like he did last night.  Squeeze 5-7 out of Cooby right now, and find a few minutes to throw Hazel/Fulce in there at the 4/5 so we don't have to wear Lazar or Butler out at the 5 spot too when Burke goes out.  We can survive

I'm so tired of statements like this.  "we will survive" "the world isn't over", "we still have a chance"  Can you people put some thoughts into actual basketball language? 
I don't even know if i disagree.  Yes we won't all be dead.  Yes the sun will rise.  Yes we aren't mathematically eliminated.  BUT we aren't making a final 4 with a 5'7 pg and no frontcourt. 
What the hell does "We can survive" mean in actual literal basketball speak.  That we will win one of our final 3 regular season games?  That we will win 1-2 in march?  Or are you just letting us know there is a chance that most or all of the team will not be dead by next fall?

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 10:34:19 PM »
I think Buzz will have to let the team fall back into zone more often. Also, I think if he can get Acker to do what a lot of people on this site - me included - said they wanted James to do. That is, run the offense and don't be a shoot first PG. Obviously he doesn't have the athleticism of James, but if he runs the offense and plays like a "system" QB in the NFL, the team will be fine.

I'm thinking Acker gets 25 mpg now, Cubi plays 5 at the PG and that leaves 10 to Matthews or McNeal. Cubes will have to step up and get some time now...I hope. I think. WHo knows what goes on in practice though.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 11:11:33 PM »
Let's not forget that Reese was an MVP of sorts for a couple of games early in conference play. Granted, we weren't playing the likes of Loserville and Pitt, but still, we can be OK here...

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 11:21:27 PM »
Tom Crean brought in Acker because he was thinking that James would go to the NBA after the sophmore season.  Acker can play, no doubt.  Him and McNeal being buds will help.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 11:26:07 PM »
I believe in #2.

I also believe it will be hard for #2 to deal with double teams.
SS Marquette

mug644

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 07:41:01 AM »
I'm wondering if Maurice is seeing the remaining games of this season as his opportunity to stake a claim on starting at PG next year. If he plays solidly, almost regardless of how the team ultimately fares, I think it builds his confidence for next year and lessens the pressure on Buzz (and Junior) to toss a freshman into the fire from the get go.

EDIT: spelling correction
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 08:12:56 AM by mug644 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 08:03:29 AM »
I think Rawdog is right.  They will probably drop to #5 in the BE and win a game in the BE tournament.  Probably end up as a 5 seed and may slip into the Sweet 16.  Too many holes on the team right now.

But that being said, that doesn't mean we can't enjoy the next few weeks.  Our expectations just have to be realistic.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 08:20:44 AM »
Disagree.  I think we'll win at least 1 of our remaining BE games, get the double bye and be a 4 seed in the NCAA tourney.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 08:24:24 AM »
To enlarge on that point, at the beginning of our final 5 BE games many posters said they would be thrilled if we went 2-3.  We are    1-1 with every opportunity to still make that prediction.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 08:33:47 AM »
I'm so tired of statements like this.  "we will survive" "the world isn't over", "we still have a chance"  Can you people put some thoughts into actual basketball language? 
I don't even know if i disagree.  Yes we won't all be dead.  Yes the sun will rise.  Yes we aren't mathematically eliminated.  BUT we aren't making a final 4 with a 5'7 pg and no frontcourt. 
What the hell does "We can survive" mean in actual literal basketball speak.  That we will win one of our final 3 regular season games?  That we will win 1-2 in march?  Or are you just letting us know there is a chance that most or all of the team will not be dead by next fall?
That's funny, because I'm getting tired of statements that say we can't win this year anymore.  There's plenty of talent on this team to continue winning games.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 08:39:34 AM »
To enlarge on that point, at the beginning of our final 5 BE games many posters said they would be thrilled if we went 2-3.  We are    1-1 with every opportunity to still make that prediction.
I'm still hoping for 3-2.  This team was leading UConn with like 5 minutes left. Given time to actually prepare for the situation, are they really going to do worse?  Steal a road game, win the home game and go into the BE Tournament with a 3-2 record through the "gauntlet."  That would have been acceptable even with a fully healthy team.

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 10:26:04 AM »

Sometimes things happens that defy logic and cannot be explained in words.  Having a team inspired and driven to win (1. to stick it to Crean, 2. now, to win it for 'Nic) can be more powerful than how short the new point guard is or anything else that's changed for the 'worse' now that we don't have James ON THE COURT.

Those movies you watch about sports teams winning against all odds ... many of those are based on true stories.  Sometimes teams win when logic would tell you to count them out.

Am I optimistic ... yes.  Do I think it's going to be a lot harder ... yes.  Do I think our guys can rise to the occasion ... yes.  Have faith my friend.

Keith

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 11:36:29 AM »
I'm still hoping for 3-2.  This team was leading UConn with like 5 minutes left. Given time to actually prepare for the situation, are they really going to do worse?   Steal a road game, win the home game and go into the BE Tournament with a 3-2 record through the "gauntlet."  That would have been acceptable even with a fully healthy team.

That works both ways.  Other teams will now be prepping for our team sans James.  Lou will be pressing every time up the court.

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 12:54:34 PM »
I think Buzz will have to let the team fall back into zone more often. Also, I think if he can get Acker to do what a lot of people on this site - me included - said they wanted James to do. That is, run the offense and don't be a shoot first PG. Obviously he doesn't have the athleticism of James, but if he runs the offense and plays like a "system" QB in the NFL, the team will be fine.

I'm thinking Acker gets 25 mpg now, Cubi plays 5 at the PG and that leaves 10 to Matthews or McNeal. Cubes will have to step up and get some time now...I hope. I think. WHo knows what goes on in practice though.

1) I doubt very strongly that Acker will get 25 minutes a game.  His minutes will probably increase 5 fold, but that still probably gives him only 10-15 minutes a game, max.  If I'm wrong, I think we are really going to struggle, barring some miracle turnaround in Acker's 3 point shooting percentage when he's forced to take open looks.  He's simply incapable of playing defense against Big East guards.

2) Can we PLEASE stop with the Cubillan nonsense?  He's not a PG, and he will NOT see any time there.  Honestly, we would be much better off with Butler at the point.  Cubillan is not the same player he was 2 years ago, meaning that he can't shoot anymore and can't really play defense, despite his "pesky" demeanor.  His contributions are not going to change just because James went down.  I wish Cubillan nothing but the best, but that's reality.

I would be very surprised if Matthews doesn't see at least 25-30 minutes of running the point, with Acker and McNeal sharing the rest.  We are probably going to be even more of a 1 on 1, slash-to-the-hoop offense now.  Matthews will still be guarding the opposing 3 or 4, but I suspect we will see a lot more zone.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 01:41:32 PM »
What an opportunity for Acker though...if he can come in and play well and help keep this thing rollin', he could reach legendary status at MU, and position himself well for next season.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 09:08:39 PM »
I think there is less presure on Aker now as far as shooting goes. He does not have to worry about Buzz sending him to the bench for the rest of his life if he misses.

feedback