Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: This is not the end of the world people  (Read 14554 times)

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
This is not the end of the world people
« on: February 25, 2009, 09:59:42 PM »
We nearly pulled it off against what will now be the #1 team in the country tonight without one of our better players.

Without James we were still pretty awesome on offense. The challenge we have ahead is to figure out how we are going to play defense without James, how we are going to limit turnovers, and how we are going to give players some rest.

The reality is these challenges aren't that different from when James plays.

With some smart coaching and some players that have been riding the bench and hopefully waiting for a chance to prove themselves stepping up to the plate, we can still finish in the top 4 in the BE and get a decent seed in the NCAA.

This team has a lot of heart (or as I said giant balls during the chat). They went to war against Uconn in the second half and they never gave up.

And they aren't going to fold up and waive a white flag against Louisville, Pitt, and Syracuse, we shouldn't either.

I still believe.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: This is not the end of the world people
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 10:01:25 PM »
The challenge we have ahead is to figure out how we are going to play defense without James, how we are going to limit turnovers, and how we are going to give players some rest.

The reality is these challenges aren't that different from when James plays.

??

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
??

My point is are these problems bigger without James?

Definitely, but it doesn't really create any new problems. Unlike when we lost Diener, we have semi-serviceable players to run the point who will allow McNeal, Mathews, and Hayward to do their thing.

IMO, the far, far, far worse thing would have been to have lost Hayward. Without Hayward we would have absolutely nobody that could reliably score and defend on the inside and lose another shooter.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 10:14:55 PM »
We'll need the bench to step up for certain. We'll also need a coach that throws guys in there left and right and trying to find the right combo. With three NBA players and scorers, we gotta have someone that can dish the rock and hit the open shot. That's it. We got Jerel and Matthews and Hayward to make the big shots. We need Acker or Cube or Jimmy to dish it out.

Acker played his giant balls off tonight I thought. Let's see how Buzz alters the lineup now.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 10:16:01 PM »

Definitely, but it doesn't really create any new problems. Unlike when we lost Diener, we have semi-serviceable players to run the point who will allow McNeal, Mathews, and Hayward to do their thing.

IMO, the far, far, far worse thing would have been to have lost Hayward. Without Hayward we would have absolutely nobody that could reliably score and defend on the inside and lose another shooter.

You are delusional if you think the loss of James doesnt create new problems.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 10:16:37 PM »
I agree that losing Hayward would be the death knell of this team.

As we all sit her and lick our wounds and think of the good times we had w/Dom and how none are left....if we look at the team in two days...we'll all realize the team still has a shot to do some damage.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 10:18:20 PM »
I'm sorry, but it is the end of the world if your hopes were for an elite 8/final 4 run.....there is NO way they make that run without James.  Now if your hopes were the second round then yeah hope is still alive!  

Really bummed tonight....awful.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 10:19:55 PM »

If you honestly think they aren't new problems without him then you haven't been paying attention.  There is no one on this team that is as good a perimeter defender as James.  Even McNeal the former Big East Defensive player of the year can't hold a candle to James' defense this season.  Price got his points tonight with McNeal guarding him, and McNeal was guarding him because DJ was out.  That was DJ's guy, and he would not have scored 34 with DJ there.  Having Acker or Cubillan in there is a disaster defensively, and that's the important thing.

We can still score a lot of points without DJ.  But defense wins games.  Defense gets you long post season runs.  Acker and Cubillan can't play defense like DJ.

Pardner

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 10:21:30 PM »
It is the end of the world as we know it...DJ was our only advantaged match-up vs. UL, Pitt and UL.  Mo and the Tremendous Three will give it their all...but now defenses can isolate on Rel and Wes like tonight.  We went from a Top 10 to a top 40.  DJ is a freak.  The BC was a trail of tears on the way out tonight.  Tough row...we will give it our all...but there is no bench to fill in.

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 10:22:09 PM »
I agree that losing Hayward would be the death knell of this team.

Hayward is also our zone breaker. Without Hayward teams would zone us to death.

We lost to the new #1 by 11 points and had several opportunities to win it. I still think this team can do plenty of damage, especially if we can win manage 2 out of our last 3.

The first two games of the NCAA will be drastically easier than our last three to close out the regular season.

We are still a sweet 16 team IMO. Which would still make this season special in my book.

Who knows, maybe some other teams in our bracket lose and we get favorable match ups...crazier things have happened.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 10:54:51 PM by SCdem@MU »

OregonWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 10:23:35 PM »
Our defense now drops another peg. I agree - this ends our run toward the Elite 8 or Final 4. Plus, as crazy as it sounds, DJ was decent grabbing boards due to his leaping ability. Very depressing...

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 10:29:32 PM »
Our defense now drops another peg. I agree - this ends our run toward the Elite 8 or Final 4. Plus, as crazy as it sounds, DJ was decent grabbing boards due to his leaping ability. Very depressing...

Why is not making the Elite 8 or Final 4 the end of the world?

Apparently I missed the memo about how not making that is the end of the world.

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 10:31:11 PM »
nm

bma725

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 10:32:56 PM »
Why is not making the Elite 8 or Final 4 the end of the world?

Apparently I missed the memo about how not making that is the end of the world.

Opportunities to make the Elite 8 or Final 4 don't come along often.  This team had the opportunity to be something special, to go down as one of the all time great MU teams despite the lack of size and inside scoring.  Now they will always be a team of what might have been.

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 10:37:09 PM »
Opportunities to make the Elite 8 or Final 4 don't come along often.  This team had the opportunity to be something special, to go down as one of the all time great MU teams despite the lack of size and inside scoring.  Now they will always be a team of what might have been.

Was that ever really that realistic to begin with? Even with James we would need a little luck to get to an Elite 8 or Final Four.

Now we just need a little more luck and some other players to step up. As long as we make the Sweet 16, crazy things can happen.

Keep the faith my friend. There is no way that McNeal, Mathews, and Hayward are giving up.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 10:38:46 PM by SCdem@MU »

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 10:42:13 PM »
That was DJ's guy, and he would not have scored 34 with DJ there.  Having Acker or Cubillan in there is a disaster defensively, and that's the important thing.

Price put up 5 points and an assist in the first four minutes of the game--when James was guarding him.

Extend that pace to the full 37 minutes that Price played, and you're right he wouldn't have scored 34.  He would have scored 45.  

Price was having one of those nights from the time the game started.  He scored just as easily on James as anyone else.

OregonWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 10:46:28 PM »
It wasn't a memo, it's just part of expectations when trot out three senior guards who have been playing since they were freshman. They've come up short in the tourney in the past and this seemed to be the year that changed. I'm saying it's disappointing that it most likely is not going to happen.

No one ever said the team on the floor is going to quit and neither will my support for them.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 10:46:50 PM »
Keep the faith my friend. There is no way that McNeal, Mathews, and Hayward are giving up.

And....James won't let them give up.  I'm with you SC - too much talent and experience left on this team for the MUScoop fans to be giving up on them.

We've got a collection of Marquette's 2500+ biggest fans here.  We know more about the team and get more emotional about the games than *most* season ticket holders.  An emotional loss no doubt, but hardly the "end" for this group of players.

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 10:49:13 PM »
Price put up 5 points and an assist in the first four minutes of the game--when James was guarding him.

Extend that pace to the full 37 minutes that Price played, and you're right he wouldn't have scored 34.  He would have scored 45.  

Price was having one of those nights from the time the game started.  He scored just as easily on James as anyone else.

Exactly. I actually kinda wonder if James was playing with a slight stress fracture the past few games. While he was tremendous on defense early in the season, he seemed to regress a bit recently, like he was a step or two slower.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 10:52:59 PM »

Another good point.  At the time James left (16:09 in the 1st half), Marquette was losing 10-5. We ended up losing by 11.

We *will* miss James, and I wish we had him for the rest of the season.  His defense had become his calling card.  However, on offense most hated him taking a shot.  We wanted him to be a dribble and pass PG.  

Introduce Acker.  He was 2 for 2 tonight with 4 assists and ZERO turnovers, 3 rebounds, and 1 steal tonight.  Everything Marquette fans have been asking for in a PG  ;)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 10:55:19 PM »

MU84,

If this post was supposed to be in teal it's one of the best and funniest of the year. If not, it's certainly the dumbest.

[/quote]

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 10:58:23 PM »

Introduce Acker.  He was 2 for 2 tonight with 4 assists and ZERO turnovers, 3 rebounds, and 1 steal tonight.  Everything Marquette fans have been asking for in a PG  ;)

That stat can't be right. Acker was careless on the inbounds following a made shot by UCONN that led to a turnover and a bucket.

But yes. 1 turnover is pretty good. I think the bigger issue will be getting McNeal to play within himself (which is always an issue anyway).

During UCONN's big runs it was McNeal playing out of control/like he had to win the game for that really cost us.

Hopefully he learns he just needs to play his game and not make up for James not being on the court.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 11:00:46 PM »
certainly the dumbest.

First, and final warning.  Everyone's a little emotional tonight.  Any further personal insults will get you a 24 hour cool-down period from MUScoop.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 11:05:40 PM »
That stat can't be right.

I'm just going by MU's official box score - I'm sure they use these same stats to fill the record books.  That's all I'm saying...

http://gomarquette.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2008-2009/mugame28.html

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 11:06:30 PM »
Acker did a great job coming in tonight - he really did - he played his heart out and played well.

But we will miss the Nic - his defense and passes.  But we must go on, perservere and do everything we can to win - and I am sure Domminic, as he was tonight on crutches, will cheer them on and enrourage them.

Go Marqette.

feedback