Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Only time it is acceptable to rush the court......  (Read 2707 times)

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
Only time it is acceptable to rush the court......
« on: February 25, 2009, 12:51:28 PM »
1. You are an unranked and you knock off a top 3 team in a meaningful game (ala Providence last night)

2. You are unranked and you win on a buzzer-beater in a meaningful game

MU does not fall into either of these categories.  In other words, DO NOT RUSH THE COURT*.

*Not like BC security would let you do it anyway.  I still have fond memories of my pal getting laid out by BC security on his way to the floor after a win over cincy in the late 90's. 

RawdogDX

• All American
Re: Only time it is acceptable to rush the court......
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:56:24 PM »
What if winning a game wins the conference championship?

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 01:00:42 PM »
If you have not won a conference championship in quite some time, then rush the court in my opinion.  Only if it was a close game though. 

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 01:02:15 PM »
Big East champions??...rush the court.

Win tonight...no way, unless we rally from 50 down with 5 minutes to go or something equal.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 01:13:03 PM »
What if winning a game wins the conference championship?

I have always thought that rushing the court was attributed to the victory of that game, not the fallout of it. By this I mean that my unranked team beats a top 5 team, that the upset of it and the celebration of that upset is the reason you storm. If my 10th ranked team beats the #2 team... then you dont storm becuase while the win is great, it was by no mean unexpected.

winning the conference championship, i assume you mean regular season title, i dont think storming the court is appropriate. If a team needed other teams to lose in order to win the title, you wouldnt storm the floor, because your game and your opponent didnt have anything to do with the winning of the title. I.E. We need to beat Syracuse and need Louisevill to lose to WV to win the title, you shouldnt storm the floor because your win didnt secure you the title and it wasnt syracuse that you ultimately needed to beat to win. can you follow my logic? Do others feel the same way? In fact, if this turns out to be the case... I will be storming the bars afterwards!!!
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 01:32:35 PM »
Every student should get to experience rushing the court at some point during their four years.

That time isn't tonight, but it should occur more frequently than you guys are suggesting.

It's college basketball, let the kids have some fun.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 01:36:30 PM »
I still have a Milwaukee Sentinel photo of Tony Miller celebrating, in the middle of a flooded MECCA floor, plastered on my childhood bedroom door. 1995, the headline was NEW YORK, NEW YORK! Was that acceptable??? I would guess many people would find celebrating the NIT like that as uncouth. Let me tell you, the players looked like it was the happiest day in their lives. There is no definition of when it is OK to rush the court.

OregonWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 02:44:27 PM »
Agreed. I was on the floor of the MECCA that night and it was one of my best hoops memories, most likely because Deane was the coach for all four years while at Marquette, but still. Putting definitions on when and why students rush this court doesn't make sense. They're 18- to 22-year-olds. Let them have some fun. Soon enough, they are going to be stuck in offices and working full-time like the rest of us.

It seems like there are a lot more posts about how we should act if we win rather than how the team is going to win this game. Of course, I have responded, so I  feel into the trap.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 02:49:36 PM »
I, too stormed the MECCA floor that night.  We made the Final Four of the NIT on our home floor.  It was a big deal at the time.  It was a blast.

Tonight would not be a floor-stormable game.  This MU team is so good, leave the floor storming for a major upset.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 02:55:50 PM »
Storm the court if they win...you get a couple of chances in a lifetime. I remember being on the court at Dade County after beating Duke and when Doc drained shot to beat ND!!! Great memories. I stated two months ago this might be a season to remember, why not storm the court?

I was talking to a former MU great today and he stated this is his favorite MU team of all-time. I would say this team is my favorite post Al team. If an MU legend is fawning over this team the students can bring down the baskets in my opinion.

OregonWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 03:05:36 PM »
As a 32-year-old alum, yeah, my gut says no court-storming tonight if we win. But, if it was a decade ago and I'm sitting in the student section when we just knocked off No. 2, my mind is going in a different direction. Either way, I just hope this is an argument we can have after the game tonight instead of it being a moot point.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 09:52:32 AM »
Is there a cut off in the age of the person storming the court? Reading TheGymBar's post of storming the court against Duke and then when Doc hit his shot to bead ND, made me think of this. Is it restricted to only students or can the middle age, lower-bowl fan get out there?
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 02:23:48 PM »
Is there a cut off in the age of the person storming the court? Reading TheGymBar's post of storming the court against Duke and then when Doc hit his shot to bead ND, made me think of this. Is it restricted to only students or can the middle age, lower-bowl fan get out there?

When I stormed the court in 1995 I was 33.  It was awesome.  Now, at 47, I would do it again if properly inspired.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 02:26:53 PM »

It can be anyone, but I really only recall non-students in 1995.  There were all sorts of kids, and alums in their 70s on the floor of the Mecca together while "New York, New York" played.

feedback