Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What result will be more satisfactory for MU this season?

Big East regular season championship
56 (37.8%)
Big East tournament championship
13 (8.8%)
Sweet 16
78 (52.7%)
none of the above, but some nice individual honors (Buzz BE Coach of Year or Jerel BE POY First team All-American)
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 145

Voting closed: March 05, 2009, 11:22:36 AM

Author Topic: What will you be more satisfied with?  (Read 4583 times)

Coleman

• All American
What will you be more satisfied with?
« on: February 23, 2009, 11:22:36 AM »
Obviously every team wants to get to the Final Four. But for the sake of argument, which accomplishment is the next most significant?

chapman

• All American
Re: What will you be more satisfied with?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 11:38:56 AM »
Hard to say.  I think I'd actually say Sweet 16.  Because winning the BE or BET and somehow not even getting to the Sweet 16 (as a 3 seed at very worst) would be extremely disappointing.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 11:39:46 AM »
BE Championship gives us a banner and we are long overdue for a conference championship banner.

Partly serious, partly TC'd.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 11:51:03 AM »
BE Championship gives us a banner and we are long overdue for a conference championship banner.

Partly serious, partly TC'd.

Also goes a long way towards getting a great NCAA seed which in turn helps our run in the tourny this year.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 12:03:27 PM »
To paraphrase Herm Edwards, you play to win NCAA Championships.  The closer you are to that goal the more satisfying it is.  Conference results don't really mean much IMO.

I'd rather make it to the Sweet Sixteen with a team that barely got into the tournament than have a team win the conference and BET but not make it out of the first round. 

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 12:15:09 PM »
To paraphrase Herm Edwards, you play to win NCAA Championships.  The closer you are to that goal the more satisfying it is.  Conference results don't really mean much IMO.

I'd rather make it to the Sweet Sixteen with a team that barely got into the tournament than have a team win the conference and BET but not make it out of the first round. 

Agreed.  Banners are nice, but I'll gladly give up the banner for a nice NCAA run.

Keith

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 12:31:24 PM »
I understand the idea, but this poll depresses me.  Not that finishing in the sweet 16 would be bad after the season's over, but capping it there right now :(

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 12:38:50 PM »
+1
It's hard to choose.  My thinking is that winning the regular season title in the deepest conference in the country would give us a high seed for the tourney.  Once we get to tournament play a lot depends on our match ups.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 12:39:45 PM »
Sorry I depressed you. I'm just curious where people's priorities are. I would take the BE regular season Title over a Sweet 16. I think it would be more remembered.

But really, this poll is flawed because winning the BE regular season title (with our final stretch of games) would almost guarantee at least a 2 seed which would mean being out of the tournament before the sweet 16 would be a total collapse (losing to a 7 or 8 seed)...which is unlikely.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 12:41:54 PM by ReneeRowarrior »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 12:41:35 PM »
If we win one of the greatest conferences ever assembled I would be pleased. I'd take it over a Sweet 16.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 12:42:27 PM »
I would have to say the big east reg. season championship would mean SOOO much to me. Although, the big east tournament championship would do more for us. If we won that, a 2 seed would be ours, and then the sweet 16 would be a no brainer.

but in all seriousness, a big east reg season championship, with the way this season has beeen, and the teams involved, would be nothin short of spectacular
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 12:46:46 PM »
I agree on the the conference title,  we will always remeber the 1994 team, partly due to the conference title, and the 2003 team as well.  Also if we winn the confercne title it will cover us for the post season awards.  mark my words if Mu wins the conference reg season titel Jerel is POY, BOM, Jerel, Wes, and ZAr might all be 1st team and BUzz is COY.  Also helps witht he sweet 16 as we are playing a 7 seed in the second round. 

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 01:02:20 PM »
Also winning the Big East does not give us a banner.  At the AL they have up the new banners and all conference championships are on a single banner. 

Look for something similar at the Bradley Center sometime in the future.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 01:14:17 PM »
As far as we can go in the NCAA tourney - that's what I vote for. 

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 01:18:13 PM »
If we win one of the greatest conferences ever assembled I would be pleased. I'd take it over a Sweet 16.

It would be nice, but on the flip-side of that it would be a total bummer to win the greatest conference ever and then crap out before the Sweet 16. 

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 01:19:08 PM »
Big East champs gets us a banner, but the most important thing is getting wins in the Big Dance.

Ball2003

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 01:27:42 PM »
I can say this because I don't believe in jinxes: Getting to the Sweet 16 is almost expected at this point, considering that we will be the higher seed in our first two tourney matchups.

Winning the Big East regular season title would likely require winning at least two of the next three (and of course, taking care of Syracuse on Senior Day. Again, that's kind of expected).

In general, tournament runs are more fun, but a full season of winning is definitely more satisfying, especially after the pre-season predications had us finishing #7.

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 01:34:11 PM »
I chose the regular season title.  But if the NCAA tournament choice was changed to Elite Eight, I would choose that. 

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 01:40:15 PM »
Agreed.  Banners are nice, but I'll gladly give up the banner for a nice NCAA run.

Keith
+2. No one outside of that individual school remembers conference championships, its what you do in the tournament that matters. All of my favorite hoops memories are from the tournament. Very few are directly related to conference championships.
We Are Marquette

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 01:42:49 PM »
Also winning the Big East does not give us a banner.  At the AL they have up the new banners and all conference championships are on a single banner. 

Look for something similar at the Bradley Center sometime in the future.

The biggest injustice is that the '94 team shares a banner (in size 10 font) with the '97 conference tournament championship team meanwhile the '03 got its own banner...I wonder why
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

HylianHero

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 01:51:16 PM »
Definitely the Sweet Sixteen. Yeah, winning the Big East would be great and if we were one game away, I'd probably change my mind, but right now definitely the SS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 02:25:32 PM »
No one outside of that individual school remembers conference championships, its what you do in the tournament that matters. All of my favorite hoops memories are from the tournament. Very few are directly related to conference championships.

But, I don't think anyone outside the individual school really remembers sweet 16 runs, either.  As much as I'd like a Sweet 16 run, I don't think anybody remembers Sweet 16 runs by high major programs.  I think people remember low majors who make a 16, but not high.  Honestly, I think that a BEast regular title would have better lasting impact than a Sweet 16 -- but only slightly.  Like another poster said, if the choice was Elite 8, I think I would have picked that, but not Sweet 16.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

nola03

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 02:36:58 PM »
We should want the Big East title for one simple reason: to be the first school from the expansion to win. This would gain much more credibility then simply winning two games against a creampuff and an average high major in one weekend.

Besides, it'd be nice to accomplish some of these things prior to Louisville. Their coach and fans are pompous enough. They don't need more ammo.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 03:42:43 PM »
One reason for my selection (Big East Regular Season) is that at this point I really think Marquette ought to make the Sweet 16.  I think that in light of their performance so far, and their likely seed, that is a very realistic and achievable goal.  If they do it, I think most people (including me) will see that simply as doing what is expected.  But winning the Big East regular season when No. 1 and No. 2 (current) and other ranked teams, I think that will make some waves.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 03:47:30 PM »
The biggest advantage to a sweet 16 run is that the season lasts longer than if we won the Big East but lost in the second round.  Win that second game in the tournament and you get a minimum of 4-6 extra days of excitement.  But I chose winning the Big East Regular Season title because to me that is the most impressive feat on the list.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.