[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Season is almost done, lets answer a preseason question  (Read 2066 times)

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
Season is almost done, lets answer a preseason question
« on: February 22, 2009, 06:22:24 PM »
Most improved...

I remember alot of posts about the topic and the players were asked.  I think Wes is the most improved without doubt.  At some point during the Georgetown game, I thought how irrecognizable 2009 Wes is from 2008 Wes.  I thought 2008 Wes deferred shots, never created his own shot, and was not terribly consistent at finishing.  Wes of 2009 drives can create his own shot, he is a consistent finisher, and a better all around shooter. 

I haven't looked at other stats around the league, but he seems to be a lock for most improved player in BE.  Every stat is up majorly.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

StillWarriors

• All American
Re: Season is almost done, lets answer a preseason question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 06:29:08 PM »
Jerel would also be in the mix, although he gave a glimpse of this year's play down the stretch last year.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 06:36:23 PM »
Jerel would also be in the mix, although he gave a glimpse of this year's play down the stretch last year.

Totally true statistically.  As fans, we kinda expected McNeal to pick up where he left off from the way all the other players were commenting on his play.  I thought Wes was going to be a role player like he was every other year but he is actually a stud.  I remember someone interviewed the team and asked who was going to be most improved and someone said Wes but I forgot who.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 06:40:40 PM »
i agreew with what you say stats wise,  yet I disagree with the most "improved" as far as the definition goes.  maybe he should have received most misused last year.  sort of like the old adage of the only one who could keep jordan under 20 a agme was Dean Smith

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 06:46:13 PM »
i agreew with what you say stats wise,  yet I disagree with the most "improved" as far as the definition goes.  maybe he should have received most misused last year.  sort of like the old adage of the only one who could keep jordan under 20 a agme was Dean Smith

That might be true about Wes but something had to click this year.  How else do you explain the 3 point percentage being up 10%?

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 08:11:33 PM »
This changes the scope of the question, but the most improved spot I think is the Blackledge/Fitz minutes going to Butler.  Butler rebounds, scores, inside and defends better than those guys and, though obviously not as good by any means, comes in and provides similar matchup probably as Wes.

We lose a lot inside without having Ooz and not really replacing him at all.

I have been disappointed in the backup play of Acker and Cube.  Someone needs to be able to come into the game and knock down shots.  Though their D is all right.

The Big Four I think have all improved and you could make a case for any one of them.  They have been outstanding. 

legacy

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 08:19:56 PM »

Wes' development has been strange.  In his first year, although DJ got more playing time and more attention, I felt like Wes was the best of the 3.  He shot well, made good decisions, etc.  Something negative happened in years 2 and 3 related to Crean, IMO, though I have nothing to back up this hunch.   I think the same with James... the player who destroyed Duke as a sophomore was simply a better offensive player than the DJ we have today, and I don't think it was just a string of nice games.   

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 08:31:53 PM »
i agreew with what you say stats wise,  yet I disagree with the most "improved" as far as the definition goes.  maybe he should have received most misused last year.  sort of like the old adage of the only one who could keep jordan under 20 a agme was Dean Smith

I couldn't agree more.  I would think Buzz's focus on paint touches would account for an increased shooting percentage behind the 3pt line, but that's to take nothing away from the obvious work they've put in on their shooting.  It's amazing what a coaching change can do for some players.

I still give it to McNeal because he has carried this team all year long.  Last year MU's success was often based on the streaky play of DJ.  This year, McNeal has taken games over.  While we saw it at the end of last year...he's done it all year thus far, and that's a major step to take.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 01:24:45 PM »
Can I get a vote in for Jimmy Butler... the man was lost the first few games and now slowly has turned himself into our 6th man, and a solid 6th man at that.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Ball2003

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 01:44:58 PM »
Wes is finally putting up the numbers he has always been capable of, thanks in large part to James relinquishing (mostly) his desire to be a shoot-first point.

That said, I think McNeal is the obvious choice. For the first time in the Big Three's careers, one of them has clearly emerged as the best of the three. The constant (justified) comparisions to Wade are a testament to Jerel taking the step from star to superstar, and he's done it in the toughest conference in the country.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 01:48:02 PM »
Can I get a vote in for Jimmy Butler... the man was lost the first few games and now slowly has turned himself into our 6th man, and a solid 6th man at that.

If its improved from last season to this season, I think Wes takes it because his numbers are way up.  If its who has improved from the beginning of this season to now, I think Jimmy takes it.  Its been fun watching him develop.  At first, he was very timid and would instantly pass away the ball when he first touches it.  Now, you can see his confidence slowly building and he is having success.  

PS.  Also the confidence the team has in him.  McNeal could have easily shot the ball at the end of the Georgetown game but passed it off.  It was a critical point of the game and that screams out the confidence McNeal has in Butler.

feedback