[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is 620 WTMJ allergic to MU bball?  (Read 6833 times)

jpwi2004

• Walk-On
Is 620 WTMJ allergic to MU bball?
« on: February 22, 2009, 02:02:33 PM »
I rarely ever hear them talk about MU hoops. While I know they are the flagship station for UW bball I find it so lame they ignore MU hoops. I just listened for an hour where they said they were going to talk "college basketball". All they talked about was the Badgers. Yesterday when the scores came on they went thru all the top 25 scores. At the very end they said "And Marquette beat Georgetown today." Homer talks about UW all the time! Homer you're the man!

Daniel

• All American
Re: Is 620 WTMJ allergic to MU bball?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 04:17:32 PM »
I have always wondered the same thing.  I listen to 620 and 540 from Chicago, and always wiat to hear MU being discussed - but 620 hardly ever mentions us. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 04:20:54 PM »
Just keep giving your business to 540 then.   

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 06:54:05 PM »
I have always wondered the same thing.  I listen to 620 and 540 from Chicago, and always wiat to hear MU being discussed - but 620 hardly ever mentions us. 

It's the UW-Madison flagship, right?  Nothing more need be said.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 07:04:28 PM »
Who cares that station sucks anyway

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 07:20:20 PM »
WTMJ had Todd Rosiak on last week Thursday or Wednesday...not often but does happen.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 07:21:39 PM »
Its far and away the biggest station in Wisconsin, and the failure to recognize MU basketball is discouraging.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 08:36:53 PM »
Whats even worse is 540 The flagship of MU basketball, due to Bill Johnson's role as announcer for UWM, spends a significant amount of the time they do spend on basketball talking about that program that is always on everyone's mind, that is UWM basketball.  Then of course Homer would always rather talk about the 3rd string catcher the Brewers might sign then to talk about MU hoops.  Do they realize how unique this season and this group of players is?  There are stations in Lexington and Louisville KY who talk about college basketball ALL YEAR LONG.  Those stations would be talking about why Wes is doing better this year, Why DJ lost his shot, where Bulter came from.  There are a million things to fill the air with.  Watch lets see how much air time MU gets the day before each of these huge upcoming games.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 09:36:13 PM »
Rosiak is on because...I believe...TMJ is owns the J.Sentinel, or at least has a big stake in it. I may be wrong.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 09:43:05 PM »
Whats even worse is 540 The flagship of MU basketball, due to Bill Johnson's role as announcer for UWM, spends a significant amount of the time they do spend on basketball talking about that program that is always on everyone's mind, that is UWM basketball.  Then of course Homer would always rather talk about the 3rd string catcher the Brewers might sign then to talk about MU hoops.  Do they realize how unique this season and this group of players is?  There are stations in Lexington and Louisville KY who talk about college basketball ALL YEAR LONG.  Those stations would be talking about why Wes is doing better this year, Why DJ lost his shot, where Bulter came from.  There are a million things to fill the air with.  Watch lets see how much air time MU gets the day before each of these huge upcoming games.

Problem is, that MU even at it's best is the 6th most important sport in the state.  Packers, Brewers, Bucks, and the two Badgers sports are always going to come before it simply because of the number of fans.  MU doesn't have enough fans in the state for them to consistently talk MU instead of those topics.

Further, most of their hosts don't follow MU closely enough to talk intelligently about it.  Johnson went to UW-Stevens Point and works for UWM, all he really knows about MU is the one game a year the teams play against each other.  Drew Olson actually played basketball for UWM and was a pro football and baseball writer before getting into radio.  Dan Needles went to UW-Oshkosh and is really more of a football guy than anything else.

The only "MU guy" they've got is Homer.  But his show is also being broadcast in Madison on their sister station.  So when he spends a ton of time talking MU hoops, the Madison listeners and UW faithful complain like crazy.  Since there aren't enough MU fans to make up for that, they just don't talk about it much outside of the Buzz interview segments.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 12:02:37 AM »
when Al came to MU there were tons of empty seats behind the bench at every game.  He found out that the seats were all given to the Journal Company (620 AM-WTMJ, the Milwaukee Journal and Sentinel back then, and WTMJ channel 4 TV).  He took most of them away and gave them to Tom Snyder (his friend from Oconomowoc) to sell to alumni.  Ever since then they have had a hardon for MU.  Further exacerbated by most Wisconsin journalists being UW grads in a state where most listeners are either UW or UW extension grads.  I expecially enjoy hearing Jim Peck sneak in plugs for MU on Saturday mornings during the money show or whatever he's moderating.  Then the news comes on and they mention the UW game first, then UWM, then the Admirals or Bucks and that is all!  I have for years written to the sports editors admonishing them for not doing their jobs, as they are missing the most exciting sports team in Wisconsin.  No response, no letters printed, no mention of MU.

4thAndState

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 08:43:16 AM »
This has always annoyed me. Thanks for starting this thread. It is ironic that MU is the team from Milwaukee and TMJ is a Milwaukee station, yet MU always receives an afterthought mention, at best. Many times, not even word one. For a station that is supposedly the leader in sports, this is a joke. They continue to do their listeners a disservice by not even mentioning MU in the same context as the other area sports teams. Even if they are the "flagship" of UW, failure to mention MU shows TMJ has no credibility in sports journalism.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 09:00:02 AM »
lack of balance, yes.

credibility, no.

UW brings them the money so they cover UW.

Just don't read/listen/watch them if you don't want to not read about Marquette... In this day and age there is PLENTY of information out there.

jpwi2004

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 10:09:10 AM »
I think the only people that talk about MU hoops are the D List crew on 540 including Dan Needles who clearly likes MU and Homer. I hear those guys talk about MU plenty. Props to the D List. Great show! You know who really doesn't care for MU is Gary Ellerson on 1250. When the riff between MU and UWM was going down he was such a UWM apologist it was sick.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 10:33:28 AM »
They talked about MU on 1250 last week during an asinine 15 minute segment in which Gary mumbled his way into saying, "I mean really...what has dis Mah-ket team reallly accomplish? They've done nuttin to date. I mean ahhh yeahh, they are all good guy, but on the court, they've done nothing."

feedback