Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: what a great scene in DC  (Read 7967 times)

ecompt

• All American
what a great scene in DC
« on: February 22, 2009, 01:41:38 PM »
I almost felt sorry for the Georgetown fans. We absolutely ruled the 400 sections of one half of the arena. Tremendous "WE ARE MARQUETTE" chants in the final minutes. Seeing dano and the other MU fans all in gold made it a memorable experience. Wonderful afternoon for the 3,000 or so MU fans at the Verizon.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
Re: what a great scene in DC
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 02:00:10 PM »
Not to mention the mob scene at Penn Quarter Sports Tavern after the game.  Reminded me of college with everyone flowing onto the sidewalk and drinking along with the games of flip cup on the front patio.

Yesterday was an absolute blast.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 02:01:33 PM »
It was great to hear the loud and proud "WE ARE MARQUETTE" cheer dominate an opponent's arena for the third time this year.

I wish that I could have been there.  It looked like a blast on television.

P.S. Ecompt, please keep on picking Marquette to lose in the prediction contest.  I think that is jinxing the other teams.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 02:07:31 PM »
oz, I;ll be glad to help if it means we go the Final Four.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 02:56:05 PM »
Heard from more than a few last night that Kelly's Irish Times was basically Murphy's/The Gym East later in the evening like it was back in 2007. 

Sounds like an even bigger turnout than it was in 2007 from what ecompt and others I've talked to have been saying.  I can't even imagine what a weekend game in NYC vs. St. John's at the Garden would possibly look like in terms of MU alumni turnout.  As much as many of us would like to go to the BET, not all of us can quite commit the time and money to 5 days in NYC yet, but a weekend in NYC would be very workable for many of us IMO.
The General has taken on a new command.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 03:25:50 PM »
going to the bathroom at halftime was like the men's room at the BC. Everybody in there was wearing bold or blue. One Georgetown fan came in and said, "Man, what is this, the Marquette bathroom?" to which a MU fan said, "Yeah, you're in the high-rent district now." The We Are Marquette chants in the final minutes were very, very loud. Hope everyone could hear it on TV.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
Great job to all who represented MU loud and well.

You made the papers! ;)

From the The Hoya (Georgetown's Students Newspaper):

"With a chant of “N-I-T’ drifting down from the visiting fans’ section and fifteen seconds left to play, Jessie Sapp and Chris Wright shared a dejected low-five that seemed to convey a shared respect for an all-out effort that was just not enough."

http://www.thehoya.com/node/18015

Snippets from their live game blog (a really cool idea):

1:59   Bailey Heaps:  Quite a few golden shirts in the upper deck.

4:11   Jamie Leader:  For at least the second time this season the Hoya fans are getting outcheered by the visiting crowd.   West Virginia a(n)d now the Golden Eagle faithful.

4:13   Jamie Leader:  An "N-I-T" chant is coming down from the Marquette section.   Ouch.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 04:08:03 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 04:05:30 PM »
I really love how well Marquette travels.  I've been to several MU-ND games and MU-DePaul games and am always impressed at how many Marquette fans show up, and also how we are well represented nationally.  You wouldn't expect a mid-size Catholic school in the Milwaukee to command that type of following, but it is fantastic to see and makes me even more proud to be an alum.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 04:59:23 PM »
that's awesome...i started that NIT chant.  That was a great game and an absolute blast. 

MonsterWebWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 05:10:11 PM »
I flew in for the game yesterday and I was shocked how many gold t-shirts there were.  We absolutely dominated the upper deck.  It was awesome.   I was very proud how Marquette represented yesterday, on the court and in the stands.  It felt like a DePaul game at Allstate Arena up where I was sitting.

The arena felt like the United Center, big and expansive, but not very loud.  I think the BC is much louder.  Their intros were weak.  I thought it was funny that they had to have someone other than their PA guy do the intros because their PA guy was so uninspiring.  Student section was kinda unimpressive too.  About all they did was yell Hoya Saxa back and forth.  Otherwise, I didn't think there was anything crazy or unique about them.  Just painted faces.  No crazy costumes (that I could see), nothing like our heads, nothing.  From what I saw, I'll take our student section over them any day of the week.
"We need to get back to eating hamburgers."  - Buzz Williams

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 06:01:59 PM »
Would love to see the clip off of the ESPN broadcast where the "We Are Marquette" chant was audible....

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 06:21:56 PM »
we made the short, 1700-mile, drive over from milwaukee and can honestly say it was one of the best weekends i've had in recent memory. the verizon center is actually a really nice arena, and that area down around 7th st. in D.C. is amazing. if anyone's out in D.C. during a game the Penn Quarter Sports Tavern is a can't-miss establishment for pre-, post-, and during-game festivities.

GuyIncognito

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 07:29:10 PM »
Definitely a great game, way more satisfying then the game two years ago. Had a great crowd and atmosphere for the game, and had a lot of fun at Irish times later in the night. Since I wasn't at the game, I'm not sure when the chanting was most notable, but I grabbed this sample which was easy to hear. The "NIT" chants were there but not super audible.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QHEvLLe1Nu4&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QHEvLLe1Nu4&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 07:38:46 PM »
Beautiful....thanks for the clip!

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 08:00:38 PM »
AWESOME. My friends and I were front row, upper deck, behind the Marquette bench, and from our seats, the "WE ARE MARQUETTE" chant was LOUD! Awesome to hear it on TV.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 10:17:12 PM »
Got back tonight... my second MU-GU trip.

-Might have even been a better MU turnout than 2 yrs ago. Huge turnout, the upper deck was almost all MU.
-Their arena is too big for them... the crowd sounded a ton louder on TV than it did upstairs, the Georgetown fans take some time to get into the game.
-Penn Quarter was nuts after the game... they ran out of Miller Lite!
-Casa de foreverwarriors was home to a great pregame party.
-My liver hurts a bit.

Another great weekend... the game is almost secondary to seeing friends and festivities, but it's more fun to walk out with a win :)

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 10:26:38 PM »
we made the short, 1700-mile, drive over from milwaukee

Did you go via Atlanta?

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 11:11:01 PM »
Apparently having 3,000+ fans from the opposing school is a "terrific" home crowd for G-town:

http://hoyatalk2.proboards48.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=18873

I'd go ape crap if we let in that many opposing fans at the BC and demand all future games be played at the AL.

If you are a major D-1 program, 3,000+ from the opposing school should be an embarrassment for any game, let alone a big one like this.

G-town better pray that Monroe and Summers stay otherwise I could see more than half of the fans at the VC being from the other team next year.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 07:11:02 AM by SCdem@MU »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 11:54:45 PM »
Definitely a great game, way more satisfying then the game two years ago. Had a great crowd and atmosphere for the game, and had a lot of fun at Irish times later in the night. Since I wasn't at the game, I'm not sure when the chanting was most notable, but I grabbed this sample which was easy to hear. The "NIT" chants were there but not super audible.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QHEvLLe1Nu4&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QHEvLLe1Nu4&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Watch at the 15 second mark, and you can see a GU player lip "Georgetown" to the "We Are" chant! LOL!
SS Marquette

GuyIncognito

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 06:23:42 AM »
Anyone else at the game find it hard not to get excited when they started playing Zombie Nation?

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 06:58:55 AM »
was that you behind me, dwaderoy? I was the guy in the blue MU hockey jersey.

Marquette06

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 07:44:36 AM »
I just want to thank all the Marquette Alumni and fans for making that such a great game.  It was awesome to be there!  And thanks for the clip of the We Are Marquette chant.  Love it!

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 08:02:53 AM »
Just a spectacular weekend overall - with friends and family in from all over the country, the pre and post game celebrations were terrific. Add in the great win and how awesome it was to see so many Marquette fans streaming down 7th Street from the Verizon Center to Penn Quarter -- all in all, just the perfect combination for a winning weekend.

Thanks to all those who took the trip out!

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 08:04:56 AM »
section 401 row h, "georgetown blows" shirt
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 08:09:35 AM by dwaderoy2004 »

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 09:14:49 AM »
It was nice of ESPN to show a suite filled up with excited MU fans! Nice to hear "We are Geo(rquette)" over the tv! Wish I could have gone this year!
"We have the blues on the run!"

feedback