Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What if we didn't lose to South Fla?  (Read 2257 times)

86Warrior

• Walk-On
What if we didn't lose to South Fla?
« on: February 22, 2009, 10:32:42 AM »
It's crazy to play what if games, but with so many in the top 10 losing the last few weeks, where could we be ranked had we not blown that one. I guess if we can win three of the next four, it won't matter. With every game, I keep believing we have a great shot at a special March!

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
Re: What if we didn't lose to South Fla?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 10:50:28 AM »
Would it matter if UCON had not lost to Pitt this week? Pointless question.

The season is the season. We are doing great and in control of our own destiny. Can't ask for more. No team is perfect so why waste energy wishing we were.

A better question would be how have we made so few miss-steps this season. I only count two - SF and Dayton. Compared to most other MU seasons, this is incredible!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 11:00:26 AM by Ruby »

mviale

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 10:56:54 AM »
what if we split the series with georgetown or lost against ND?  Lets not worry about that - 4 more!
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 10:57:29 AM »
Rarely do I think in 'What if ...?'.  It is pointless.

I don't know where we'd be in the rankings, probably only slightly better than where we are now.  What I do know is that no matter who we win against and what we've accomplished two things will remain true
  • The east-coast bias will forever prevent ESPN for talking about MU for >30 secs
  • ESPN will never figure out that we are the Golden Eagles and have been for >15 years

Sorry to the older alums on the 2nd point and I don't mean to spark that debate again.  My point is only that those two points would still be true even if we beat USF.

Keith

EDIT:  On a side note ... I like that we are flying under the radar, but I don't like when ESPN people talk about how extremely overrated we are.  Slightly overrated (based on rankings), true, but not extremely.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 11:00:08 AM by krocheck »

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 10:58:31 AM »

I don't think it's a pointless question...as I rack my brain thinking about it.  1 freaking point!

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 11:09:04 AM »
Wow. If that is the way you want to deal with life, go ahead. "One freaking point!" of regret!

But to put it in perspective, let's look at the facts. At the time of the loss to SF we were ranked 8th. We lost another game that week and dropped  a grand total of 2 or 3 points in the rankings.

We are currently ranked 10th & 11th. Not a big deal in my book.

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 11:19:17 AM »
Fact is, we couldn't have picked a better week to loose, especially to a poor team, than that week.  More than 14 of the top 25 teams lost at least one of their games that same week and a bunch of them being semi-major upsets.  As I recall, though, the USF upset was the worst of the week, but still one of many.

Fact is almost every good team has a bad loss.  Dayton isn't too bad since they'll make the tourney and it was early in the season.  My advice ... forget about USF.  It does no good for us to linger over this 'fluke' of a loss.  It happens.  We know we're better than that.

We can and have bounced back.  I'm optimistic about UConn and Syr, but not the two remaining road games.  Those will be rough and we all know it.

Stop lingering on USF.  The only people who seem to care about it are US.  The benefits of flying under the national radar.

Keith

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 11:21:31 AM »

I think the reason the question was asked is because a loss to Pitt is explainable.  None of the top 4 teams have a loss to a bottom four team except MU.  Nevertheless, MU still controls their own destiny which is a great spot to be in.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 11:28:34 AM »
agrred we picked agreat week to lose but the contra to that is what a great week it would have been to win.  we most likely would have been #5 on that Monday, and this coming Monday would be Top 5 again with tremendous press about being a #1 seed as we would be winning the Big east by 1 game clear.  Sucks we lost when one contemplates was beating freaking So. fla would have done for our program in regards to notoreity and free publicity. 

Now with that all being said, beat Uconn this week and and those things happen too.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 01:15:48 PM »
I think the reason the question was asked is because a loss to Pitt is explainable.  None of the top 4 teams have a loss to a bottom four team except MU.  Nevertheless, MU still controls their own destiny which is a great spot to be in.

While USF has the worst conference record of those teams that beat the top 4, I'm sure that each of those four (UConn, Pitt, Louisville and MU) cringe about at least one of their losses. The G'town win over UConn is looking like something the Huskies could be kicking themselves about, as is ND's victory over Louisville and MU's loss to USF.

Hindsight is 20/20.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 01:23:44 PM »
I don't think it's a pointless question...as I rack my brain thinking about it.  1 freaking point!

And two missed layups... but oh well.  Its put up or shut up week.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 01:49:15 PM »
What if we recruited just one big like JaJuan Johnson in 4 years. 

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 02:21:41 PM »
Ifs and buts.
Candy and nuts.
Merry Christmas.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews