Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UConn's Offense  (Read 2780 times)

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
UConn's Offense
« on: February 21, 2009, 03:42:54 PM »
Just looking at some of UConn's recent scores...they have not cracked 70 in their last 6 games.  Anyone been watching close enough know why this might be the case?  Is it just a function of their offense being centered around Thabeet?  Or is it teams are keying in effectively defensively on one aspect of their offense?

If we can somehow make it a track meet on Wed., and knock down our 3s, I tend to like our chances a lot more.  If it's going to be in the 60s, not so much.
The General has taken on a new command.

Daniel

• All American
Re: UConn's Offense
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 09:05:39 PM »
How long has Dyson been out?  He was their second leading scorer

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 11:06:11 AM »
Not much outside shooting, especially without Dyson.  Opponents are concentrating on forcing them to play half court.  Calhoun has never been a tremendous half court offensive coach, especially when he doesn't have a great creator like Chris Smith, Ray Allen, Khalid El-Amin, Richard Hamilton, Caron Butler, etc.  Dyson filled that role this year and they are suffering for it without him.  They have a terrific quick on quick freshman in Kemba Walker, who is a little out of control and a tough fit for this particular team.

They play tremendous defense with Thabeet as the anchor, and are happy to slog it out Big 10 style with Thabeet, Adrien, Robinson and Edwards on the interior.  Didn't work against Pitt, but should be successful against most teams.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 12:06:37 PM »
They are one of the slower offenses in the conference even with all their athletic ability if i remember correctly.  I'm sure Henry Sugar could put together some stats for this upcoming game.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 10:34:30 PM »
They can't shoot the 3 pointer.  The Dyson injury has hurt them considerably at this point.  Pack it in, let them beat us from the arc.

MUhoops12

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 10:44:20 PM »
To get the W, shutting down Thabeet and Adrien in the paint will be key as well as limiting offensive boards. We're going to have force their offense to run on the perimeter, where they are much weaker now with the loss of Dyson. Being one of the weaker 3-point shooting teams in the BEast, limiting Thabeet and Adrien will be huge.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 11:03:03 PM »
The last couple of games MU has not shot the ball well from behind the arc and we are going to have to hit enough outside shots for UCONN to have to come out and guard us. Haywards jump shot at the top of the free throw line will be key, and if McNeal and Matthews can get Thabeet into foul trouble like he did against Pitt watch out. UCONN is like Georgetown in where they are very meticulous on offense and smother you on defense. Even though they have size on us our guards present just as much trouble for them. Will most definitely be the most interesting matchup this year, completely opposite teams.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 11:11:45 PM »
To get the W, shutting down Thabeet and Adrien in the paint will be key as well as limiting offensive boards. We're going to have force their offense to run on the perimeter, where they are much weaker now with the loss of Dyson. Being one of the weaker 3-point shooting teams in the BEast, limiting Thabeet and Adrien will be huge.

I wouldn't mind focusing on driving and getting those two into foul trouble.  If they get blocked, so be it.  I hope we don't just rely on the three.  I know we are good at threes but I feel like our team gets into trouble when they settle for the three instead of letting the three come within the offense.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 04:13:55 AM »
I think MU should try to make it a track meet.  Thabeet can't block it if he isn't down the floor yet.  Also, I heard he tires easily.  Run, Run, Run!

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 06:29:53 AM »
My Dad has made the comment that our games often look like track meets.  If the guys can hold the pace then that could work.

Keith

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 07:10:06 AM »
Thabeet was often caught up court in the loss to Pitt.  If we can make it a track meet we have a great shot against these guys.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 07:35:35 AM »
Depth sure would help---Cubillan or Acker will have to at least grab a few minutes. I don't think we want DJ and McNeal going 40 again

Eweconfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 09:36:14 AM »
We definately miss Dyson, on a number of levels. In addition to being our 2nd leading scorer (13.2 PPG), he's one of the teams emotional leaders, and our best perimeter defender. Of course, it hurts our depth as well.

I don't think UConn will mind a track meet. They like to run, although without Dyson, they like it a little less, and they're a little less quick. I think you guys are under estimating our ability to shoot a little, though....UConn is 4th in the league in FG% (47.5%) and 4th in the league in 3-PT FG5 (35.7%)....Marquette is right behind us in both catagories (47.0% & 35.0%, respectively)...So, our teams are very even from a shooting % perspective.

Here's some other stat comparisons is your interested...

Points per game:   UConn 76.6, MU 80.0
Points allowed:      UConn 60.7, MU 68.1
FG% allowed:        UConn 37.2%, MU 43.9%
3-pt FG% allowed: UConn 30.7%, MU 34.5%
Rebounds/game:    UConn 41.6, MU 35.8
Rebound margin:    UConn +8.4, MU +3.1
Blocks per game:   UConn 7.6, MU 3.2
Steals per game:   UConn 5.9, MU 8.5
To's per game:      UConn 12.3, MU 11.9
FT%:                  UConn 68.8%, MU 70.5

One other important stat....UConn leads the country in personal fouls committed per game @ around 12 per game. I only mention that because this game could be decided by free throws.

So, it'll be your better offense vs. our better defense. Homecourt can be the great equalizer, and there's no question our team is not the same without Dyson. Austrie and Walker have to really step up, and I think Robinson is our wildcard. You just never know which Stanley Robinson shows up game to game.

Against Pitt, we were up 6 points with 7 minutes to play....they're players made the plays they need to make down the stretch. We didin't defend the perimeter like we needed to against Fields....Blair and Young had monster games, yet it was close game throughout. It was agame that was certainly within our reach, but kudos to them....they're tough and they earned the win.

One thing that concerns me about UConn game in and game out is they tend to be very slow starters. Takes them awhile to get going. That cost us the game vs. G'town....they jumped out to 18-4 lead and we never recovered. We're been a 2nd half team team this year....I'd feel much more comfortable against MU is we were a 1st AND 2nd half team.

Your continued thoughts about our game?

feedback