[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by BobWildLoyalist
[Today at 10:36:31 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN called them warriors  (Read 6487 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Re: ESPN called them warriors
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 07:44:54 PM »
I'm ashamed of the unoriginal, lame___ Golden Eagle name.  It should be relegated to po dunk schools in Mississippi.     I love the Marquette name.   I love the Warrior name.   It works too good and makes too much sense, the Priests/liberal propaganda had to ruin it. 

And I'm in my 20's.   

golden Eagles is patheticaly lame. The whole Gold thing is a bust. The fans don't even wear Gold to the game. Should have stuck with Blue.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2009, 07:46:31 PM »
Digger just called them the Warriors in College GameDay Final.

LovinCrowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2009, 07:52:03 PM »
golden Eagles is patheticaly lame. The whole Gold thing is a bust. The fans don't even wear Gold to the game. Should have stuck with Blue.

Totally agree - Navy blue, to me, is much classier - and easier for people to wear

MUWeb7

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 07:56:13 PM »
Should-a would-a could-a...
Support your team now. Wear gold and ignore the nickname. We are Marquette.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 08:02:58 PM »
+1

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2009, 08:23:54 PM »
Let's Go Warriors!! Clap-Clap.  Clap-Cap-Clap-Clap.

Obvious from my handle where I am on this topic.

Note: When attending games, I wear gold (OK - its really yellow)   :)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 08:42:43 PM »
+1 to brewtown Andy's comment. I really like hearing the Lets go Warrior's chant, even if they were only 5 or so years old when the team changed names. I think it's fun to annoy uppity PC students that think 'warriors' are a racist term.

I'd also add that I would think it'd be cool if we got every student to wear a gold(yellow) shirt to the game (a Gold out?)m even though I'd still wear my Wes Matthews Jersey. In fact I didn't mind that they called the student section "The Gold Rush" even if it was for just one season just before the Gold debacle. -Don't hate me I just think student sections with names are cool see: Izzone at MSU, Cameron Crazies, Grateful Red. Though I wouldn't mind a powder blue or navy out. Doesn't have the same feel as a whiteout or blackout but you get the concept

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2009, 08:55:20 PM »
In fact I didn't mind that they called the student section "The Gold Rush" even if it was for just one season just before the Gold debacle. -Don't hate me I just think student sections with names are cool see: Izzone at MSU, Cameron Crazies, Grateful Red.

I don't get why they went through the effort of getting the student body to pick a name for the section and then abandoned it immediately.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2009, 04:56:36 PM »
+1 to brewtown Andy's comment. I really like hearing the Lets go Warrior's chant, even if they were only 5 or so years old when the team changed names. I think it's fun to annoy uppity PC students that think 'warriors' are a racist term.

I'd also add that I would think it'd be cool if we got every student to wear a gold(yellow) shirt to the game (a Gold out?)m even though I'd still wear my Wes Matthews Jersey. In fact I didn't mind that they called the student section "The Gold Rush" even if it was for just one season just before the Gold debacle. -Don't hate me I just think student sections with names are cool see: Izzone at MSU, Cameron Crazies, Grateful Red. Though I wouldn't mind a powder blue or navy out. Doesn't have the same feel as a whiteout or blackout but you get the concept

..... isn't that why everyone gets a Fanatic shirt?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2009, 08:39:06 PM »
90%+ of MU fans would love them to be the Warriors.  Most of the rest just don't care.

Every MU fan just grins and bears it when they hear the "Golden Eagle" nickname...realizes its dumb...but cheers for the team anyway because its our school.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 12:24:20 AM »
this tree-hugging moderate (I think everyone should pay for his own tree) also wrote in Warriors, knowing that it was a 'non-counter'- I just couldn't bring myself to vote for any other choices.  I do wear some type of gold shirt to every game (had my bumblebee stripe on at Seton Hall), occaisionally under my old, blue, Marquette Warriors jacket.  I often greet friends with the question "...how 'bout those Warriors?", and never hear back"...you mean Golden Eagles".

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 06:07:45 AM »
I'm a young alumnus and did not know MU existed until my senior year of HS.  I realize that there are people at MU today who feel a connection to the Warriors name, having lived in Milwaukee and/or having parents who went to MU.  I understand the history of the name and the program during that period.  I have a little different take on this, if you'll indulge me for a sec.

When we went through the whole nickname thing the last time (Lord help us if 'Gold' stuck) I was telling my mom about the whole thing and I came to the conclusion that I was a Golden Eagle.  I came to Marquette to be a Golden Eagle and if they changed the name I'd embrace it.  Years later, though, I would identify myself not as whatever, but as a Golden Eagle.

Names are significant ... an identity.  The Warriors identifies a specific period in Marquette's history that many of you were a part of.  No one is telling you to forget that, and no one is telling you that YOU are a Golden Eagle.  Your identity is stuck in time, just as mine would have been if the name changed.

My point is simply that today the school identifies itself as the Golden Eagles.  It is no insult to you or your time at MU ... it was simply a change that a group of people thought was important 15+ years ago, however stupid or non-unique the name is.  By all means, wear your 'Warriors' t-shirts and cheer your heads off.  I just wish we all could get over the fact it changed and concentrate on what's important ... winning the NCAA.

Keith
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 06:13:32 AM by krocheck »

GuyIncognito

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 06:23:02 AM »
With like a minute to go the announcer called MU warriors.... as soon as there is a video we should find that

Here's the video, plus that sweet dish from McNeal to Butler.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tn8QKCYz8Eg&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Tn8QKCYz8Eg&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 08:46:21 AM »

{clip}

When we went through the whole nickname thing the last time (Lord help us if 'Gold' stuck) I was telling my mom about the whole thing and I came to the conclusion that I was a Golden Eagle.  I came to Marquette to be a Golden Eagle and if they changed the name I'd embrace it.  Years later, though, I would identify myself not as whatever, but as a Golden Eagle.

Names are significant ... an identity.  The Warriors identifies a specific period in Marquette's history that many of you were a part of.  No one is telling you to forget that, and no one is telling you that YOU are a Golden Eagle.  Your identity is stuck in time, just as mine would have been if the name changed.

{end clip}

I think you make some excellent points and yet, you miss one key ingredient.  Many of us felt as though we lost our identity with Marquette, the institution, when they changed the name.  I like your "stuck in time" idea, and yet, it still misses the mark.  They stole our identity when they changed the name. 

This also is the reason why I did not want them to switch from Golden Eagles a few years back, it would have stripped another segment of Marquette graduates of their identity. 

Face it, messing with school identity is not a good idea.  That is what you do when you mess with the nick.

-SE

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2009, 09:33:32 AM »
They stole our identity when they changed the name.

Your identity is your own.  You are a Warrior.  You can be proud of that fact, just as much as I am proud of being a Golden Eagle.  Without going through it myself, I can somewhat understand how you can feel a certain disconnect with the University now.

Here's a question.  Would it matter to you as much if MU did not have such a great athletics run in the 70's and they changed the name?  Is it Al that you attribute it to so much?  Is it because of Al's legacy and passing that you want it 'immortalized'? ( 1. Stupid questions, I know because that's how it happened; 2. Purely to gain a personal understanding)

I completely agree that changing the nick is not something that should be done, but its too late now.

Keith

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2009, 10:04:45 AM »
For me, I did not identify with MU until I got there, which was Fall of 1982.  Prior to that I did not follow MU Basketball or anything.  However, I did know that I wanted to go to Marquette.  My Grandfather graduated from MU's dental school and since I was in, I don't know, eighth grade or something, MU was where I was going. 

Once I got to MU I was a huge basketball fan.  Loved the name and the tradition.  So, I don't identify so much with Al or 1977 or anything like that.  I identify with MU (had since I was in eighth grade I guess) and the Warrior identity grew out of my experience at MU.

This is a very interesting way of looking at things.  Ever since they changed the nick I have felt the disconnect and your line of thinking is a new one for me.  I will have to further analyze it in my mind.

-SE

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2009, 03:30:55 PM »
As a tree hugging liberal who loved the Warrior name and wasted my vote by writing in 'Warrior' during the "Gold" debacle, regardless of what we all think, this ship has sailed.  However, I have a proposal.   Where two or more MU fans are gathered to watch the game, we institute the "Warrior" drinking game.   Every time an announcer calls them by that beloved name, and it happens once a game it seems, every MU fan in the place slams their drink. 

Love the idea if we substitute GE, after 8-10 GE's, I'll care less when I hear it.

I think we would get pretty thirsty the other way.

There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2009, 04:08:54 PM »
Your identity is your own.  You are a Warrior.  You can be proud of that fact, just as much as I am proud of being a Golden Eagle.  Without going through it myself, I can somewhat understand how you can feel a certain disconnect with the University now.

Here's a question.  Would it matter to you as much if MU did not have such a great athletics run in the 70's and they changed the name?  Is it Al that you attribute it to so much?  Is it because of Al's legacy and passing that you want it 'immortalized'? ( 1. Stupid questions, I know because that's how it happened; 2. Purely to gain a personal understanding)

I completely agree that changing the nick is not something that should be done, but its too late now.

Keith

This is a pretty good line of thought. 

Also, something to keep in mind is that I believe the "Hilltopper" name was abandoned as a marketing move to capitalize on the whole "Milwaukee Braves" coming to town.

Sounds crazy, but I think there are several articles that state this is true. (I can't seem to find them now, only more recent articles come up on google)

However, it seems like people clearly identify with "Warriors" more than "Hilltoppers" (probably because a lot of the pro-topper crowd is 6ft under).