Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Last Night's Student Section = Weak Sauce  (Read 13999 times)

MUfan2

• Scholarship Player
Last Night's Student Section = Weak Sauce
« on: February 18, 2009, 05:51:06 PM »
Yeah, that's right, you're being called out.  You have a top 10-15 team, playing their 3rd to last home game of the year, against a quality opponent that has been playing well as of late...and you guys drop the ball.  Bottom level wasn't even completely full, we saw whole rows of the section behind the band open, and there were maybe 100 scattered in the first few rows of the upper deck.  You can't use midterms as an excuse as they are two weeks away. 

Very disappointing.  I expect nothing short of chaos next Wednesday.  You need to go and redeem yourselves. 

"If you are making your decision based on climate, you're probably not tough enough to play here." - Buzz Williams

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
Re: Last Night's Student Section = Weak Sauce
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 05:54:13 PM »
Yeah, that's right, you're being called out.  You have a top 10-15 team, playing their 3rd to last home game of the year, against a quality opponent that has been playing well as of late...and you guys drop the ball.  Bottom level wasn't even completely full, we saw whole rows of the section behind the band open, and there were maybe 100 scattered in the first few rows of the upper deck.  You can't use midterms as an excuse as they are two weeks away. 

Very disappointing.  I expect nothing short of chaos next Wednesday.  You need to go and redeem yourselves. 

I'm not even a student and I'm taking a half day from work to attend. Plus the UCONN game is already sold out so the crowd should be phenomenal.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 05:57:35 PM »

A thread like this is started every year.  You could yell whatever you want, but it will get you no where!  I would spend some time watching the first MU Big East game ever and get pumped for this one!

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 06:03:34 PM »
I'm not going to call out the students for last night, but I will say that I'm sitting in a night class right now, and from those I've talked to today so far and in previous weeks, there should be maybe 5 or 6 students here max next week.

I wouldn't sweat one bit over student turnout for next week. 
The General has taken on a new command.

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 06:09:36 PM »
I'm not going to call out the students for last night, but I will say that I'm sitting in a night class right now, and from those I've talked to today so far and in previous weeks, there should be maybe 5 or 6 students here max next week.

I wouldn't sweat one bit over student turnout for next week. 

+1. Everybody I know is skipping class...except me because i have a midterm. i'll be there by 5:30ish  :-\

dcmk89

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 06:46:17 PM »
The ones that were there stepped up for the two technicals. It got really loud.

And no, the showing wasnt that bad. The bottom bowl was filled, which on a tuesday night against a team everyone thought was bad (Seton Hall isn't that bad, but people think so), isn't that bad.

GuyIncognito

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 06:57:10 PM »
If only all the fans were as excited as this guy...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/VqMAziLYe_U&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/VqMAziLYe_U&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 07:07:53 PM »
Clearly, we gotta stop the announcement about the "Best Student Section in the Country" before games, after showings like last night. 

MUWeb7

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 07:23:44 PM »
Excited marquette fan = mucrew.     

There ya go kyle...;D

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 07:36:25 PM »
oh Kyle...

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 08:50:56 PM »
I have to agree with this thread.  Those students that were there did a nice job....but where was everyone else?!  I don't get it.  Top 10 team, 3rd to last opportunity to watch an amazing group of seniors and there were barely any students in the upper deck....baffling.

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 08:51:24 PM »
honestly?....I'd cut the student section by 1500 seats.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 09:31:51 PM »
Just pathetic, what exactly would it take to get the students all there?  as stated already, top ten team, three games left!  They are so predictable, of course next week its a big name top rated team so they will all show up.  Well last nights game was important as well.  How many students have night classes, just pathetic!

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 09:39:28 PM »
I do and will be at the game anyway next week as I have for every other game this year when i was in the state. (a visit to Dallas around New Years are the only games I missed)  Hopefully the rest of the student body realizes that this is going to be a special run to the finish of the season.  The next two at home are absolutely HUGE! Win over Uconn would help a ton in the race for the conference title and senior night should be something special as well.

warrior_rugby15

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 09:57:51 PM »
Marquette students ain't what they use to be. They worry way to much about grades now. They don't even realize that these are the best years of their lives and be able to get hammered and root for your hoops team on a Tuesday night.
Plus Angelo's getting raided by the cops last night after the game isn't cool either.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 10:31:59 PM »
I actually had an alum come up to me during halftime and say there are some ppl in their 70's that were more energetic than parts of the student section. You're only here for a few years, unless you're Ahoya  ;), and it's worth it to miss a class or two to take in a game...but I guess if you have a test during that time slot there isn't much you can realistically do.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 10:40:08 PM »
Yeah last night was weak.  I honestly thought there wouldn't be a "We Are Marquette" chant during intros until someone in our row finally got it going just before they announced the lineups.  My sore throat didn't give me enough to start it up, only join in.

I honestly at least expected the upper bowl to have scattered pockets of students, if not fuller than that.  I was underwhelmed.  I'll be skipping class and heading to the BC at 2-ish next Wednesday, and plan to enjoy every minute of it.

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 10:49:35 PM »
The "best student section in the country" has always been laughable to me. Kind of like a local restaurant saying, "World's Best Pizza".

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 11:04:48 PM »
I was actually a bit surprised for the turnout on a weekday night.  I mean it wasn't full but it was very loud at times.

massmu

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 11:25:44 PM »
   as a current student i was disappointed as well but calling students out on this site isn't going to do much when you consider how few students are here. everyone here realizes the importance of each game and how much a home court advantage helps a team, however the majority of students can't even name ten big east teams and as a result they don't show up for weekday games against teams that arent ranked. that being said, every weekend game the student section will be filled and loud as hell. i mean, we are the number one student section in the country

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 11:44:50 PM »
My freshman year there was barely a student section at all.

Now it's full on the weekends and half-full during the week.  Sounds about right.   Marquette's tuition has skyrocketed in the last 10 years and these kids take class seriously.  About half of the undergrads have student season tickets which is a huge number.   It's reasonable to expect a large chunk of those students to study on a Tuesday night when a BE bottom-feeder comes to town.

As long as it fills up on the weekends and for huge weekday games, I'm cool with that. 

Desert_Eagle

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 11:56:25 PM »
Could we please stop this stupid thread from being started every year? Boo-hoo, the student section isn't the best in the nation (as if that is actually a serious claim or something we all believe). Do we not have better things to talk about?

And thank you MUsoxfan for stating the situation so well and thinking like a reasonable person. We students love basketball at Marquette, but it's not the only thing we do.
"Marquette is bigger than any one person. Marquette is Marquette."

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 12:04:23 AM »
We students love basketball at Marquette, but it's not the only thing we do.

Heh - you know, I think a lot of the angst from alums comes from the fact that nearly everybody attending MU could take 6 hours out of their week too go to a Big East basketball game (assuming 2 home games per week, 3 hours per game including travel time).

Seriously, skipping a max of 6 hours of sleep in a week for an 18-21 year old college kid?  I spent more time than that playing video games when I was in college.  Did I go to every home game? No.  Do I wish I would have now?  Yes.

The students are great, but we're like pushy parents, we always know you could be better.  :D

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 12:05:09 AM »
Dickey Simpkins was at the game last night and he told me MU's student section = Hot Sauce.

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 12:12:17 AM »
You don't know what you've got until you don't have it anymore.

I'd give anything to go to every game MU game (and have my front-row Band seat back), but I'm a poor alumnus now  :(

Keith