[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Who is most likely to lose his job after this season?

Jerry Wainwright (DePaul) - Currently 0-13 in league; 20-43 career in BE
38 (37.6%)
Fred Hill (Rutgers)  - Currently 1-11 in league; 4-26 career in BE
32 (31.7%)
Norm Roberts (St. John's) - Currently 3-10 in league; 23-56 career in BE
20 (19.8%)
Bobby Gonzalez (Seton Hall) - Currently 5-8 in league; 16-32 career in BE
10 (9.9%)
Mick Cronin (Cincinnati) - Currently 7-6 in league; 17-30 career in BE
1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Voting closed: February 23, 2009, 01:12:26 AM

Author Topic: Poll: Big East's Hot Seat  (Read 3503 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Poll: Big East's Hot Seat
« on: February 18, 2009, 01:12:26 AM »
What says the MUScoop Nation?
SS Marquette

bma725

• All American
Re: Poll: Big East's Hot Seat
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 01:49:41 AM »
Honestly, I'm not sure any of them get fired next year.

Roberts has a decent class coming, and is still in the running for Lance Stephenson.  That's enough to save his job.

Hill has had some good classes, I think he gets another year.

Cronin shouldn't even be in the discussion.  He took over a mess and is turning it around.

Gonzalez is a nutjob, but I don't think SHU wants to spend the money.

Wainwright should be lock to be fired.  But given the way their AD normally acts, couple with this economy, I think they will wait it out because they don't want to spend the money.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 02:39:55 AM »
Honestly, I'm not sure any of them get fired next year.

Roberts has a decent class coming, and is still in the running for Lance Stephenson.  That's enough to save his job.

Hill has had some good classes, I think he gets another year.

Cronin shouldn't even be in the discussion.  He took over a mess and is turning it around.

Gonzalez is a nutjob, but I don't think SHU wants to spend the money.

Wainwright should be lock to be fired.  But given the way their AD normally acts, couple with this economy, I think they will wait it out because they don't want to spend the money.
+1
I don't think any will lose their job. Didn't DePaul have some announcement recently that Wainwright would be back next year? I couldn't agree more with Cronin. I say no coaching changes in the big east this off season

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 04:35:57 AM »
If anyone I'd say Hill just because of how good his classes have been. He's had some good ones, but that hasn't translated into victories. It's probably too early to pull the trigger though. I hate the trend in sports of firing as soon as there's a poor stretch. Coaches don't have nearly enough time to develop programs.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 02:02:09 PM »
I threw Cronin in there just to see if people would vote for him.

My vote is for Roberts because he has the longest tenure of all on that list. And this may be the 5th of 6 losing seasons the Johnnies will have under his supervision.

Despite his record, Hill's brought in Rutgers only AA, Mike Rosario. So that means he's not going anywhere.

Wainwright deserves to lose his job.

And I agree with BMA about nutty Gonzo.

[corrected]
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 03:22:27 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 02:16:23 PM »
Rosario is already there. Did you miss the Rutgers game? Rutgers is only 1-11 in conference with a McDonald's AA, so Hill better have a plan to get a few more studs in the program.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 02:28:10 PM »
I'm surprised that people are voting for Wainright given that DePaul has officially stated that they're keeping him.

Now; I agree that he should be fired, but the chances of that actually happening are pretty slim.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 02:32:49 PM »
It can't be Fred Hill.
He's got Bob Hurley's stamp of approval.
And we can all see why: He's letting one of Hurley's players to toss up 15 shots per game, never mind that he's hitting less than 40 percent of them.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 02:35:01 PM »
I'm surprised that people are voting for Wainright given that DePaul has officially stated that they're keeping him.

Now; I agree that he should be fired, but the chances of that actually happening are pretty slim.

DePaul may just be cheap enough to keep Wainwright, but when's the last time a mid-season vote of confidence meant anything? Seriously, what benefit would there be for Ponsetto to say anything but that?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 02:44:36 PM »
what benefit would there be for Ponsetto to say anything but that?

That sure would make their fan-base happy, and probably get quite a few alumni donors to pony up if Ponsetto mentioned that they needed more $$ if they are going to bring in a Big East caliber coach.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 02:47:23 PM »
That sure would make their fan-base happy, and probably get quite a few alumni donors to pony up if Ponsetto mentioned that they needed more $$ if they are going to bring in a Big East caliber coach.

She can have those discussions with the major donors in private, without throwing the current season (and team and staff and recruiting class/efforts) under the bus.

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 02:51:10 PM »
She can have those discussions with the major donors in private, without throwing the current season (and team and staff and recruiting class/efforts) under the bus.
I'm not sure there's much in their current season to throw under the bus.  Agree on the rest of it, in theory.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 02:57:53 PM »
DePaul may just be cheap enough to keep Wainwright, but when's the last time a mid-season vote of confidence meant anything? Seriously, what benefit would there be for Ponsetto to say anything but that?

I don't mean to get into semantics, but Ponsetto said that DePaul "planned" to keep Wainwright. That is much different than saying that he will be the coach next year no matter what. They keep losing games and they would risk losing that last of the 25 fans they still have left. 

I like Wainwright, but he was not the right guy to take over that program. They needed a young guy to give the program a boost. I think Chris Collins would be great, but I have not idea if he'd leave the Duke staff to come back to Chicago. I don't know if they could pry Gregory away from Dayton, but he'd be another great choice. If you look at what he has done with UD, I see no reason why he couldn't succeed at DPU.

Wainwright, by the way, is getting death threats. Seriously. I couldn't believe that anyone cared enough about DePaul basketball to actually threaten his life.
We Are Marquette

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 03:23:50 PM »
Rosario is already there. Did you miss the Rutgers game? Rutgers is only 1-11 in conference with a McDonald's AA, so Hill better have a plan to get a few more studs in the program.

Corrected. Brain fart. Thanks.
SS Marquette