Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OK, I admit it. I love Jimmy Butler.  (Read 9179 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
OK, I admit it. I love Jimmy Butler.
« on: February 17, 2009, 08:54:12 PM »
This guy had to take on a completely different role this year as compared to his JUCO role last year... what a freaking workhorse. 

The guy just flat out works, but at times you can see that scoring ability.  Lazar will do his thing, but if the youngsters aren't scoring next year, no reason Jimmy can't be a 12-14... maybe more?!  point per game scorer. 

Anyone think he's benefiting because of who he's playing with?  I think if anything its weighing his stats down, but I'm very confident he can be a scorer in this league if that's what he is asked to do.

"...the J the I the M the M the Y the J the I the M... its JIMMMMMMYYYYY, its JIMMMMYYYYY"
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

DonCornholeone

• Starter
Re: OK, I admit it. I love Jimmy Butler.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:12:02 PM »
I'm getting a Butler jersey next year.  8 points and 7 REBOUNDS!

BUTLER IS THE MAN!

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
Remember when some were saying Butler was going to be a "waste?" Hmmm...

MUhoops12

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 09:21:11 PM »
Jimmy is a solid basketball player with a lot of potential and even more heart. His development from his first minutes at MU to his performance against SH does not only show how much talent and potential he has, but it also shows how well the coaching staff has done in developing Jimmy. Bright future for Marquette.

nola03

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:21:52 PM »
Remember when some were saying Butler was going to be a "waste?" Hmmm...

Always felt he'd be the surprise player this year. That was helped by injuries to Otule and Fulce but he's really grown the last two weeks.

Also says a lot about Buzz that Butler committed sight unseen to MU.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 09:22:28 PM »
Fulce was suppossed to be the better player between the two.  So maybe next year won't be quite so dismal as some might think.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 09:28:08 PM »
I am kinda curious to see what happens when he is going to have to make his own shot and/or when teams will gameplan for him.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

OregonWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 09:29:44 PM »
I'm not worried about next year - this year, he's really developing into what this team desperately needs - some production off the bench. He works hard, hustles and is becoming more aggressive on the offensive end. He's developing with each successive game, which is a great sign for when March rolls around.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 09:55:20 PM »
Stud.

Of.

The.

Game.

He HAS to be!

(or Wes)
SS Marquette

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 10:18:38 PM »
Jimmy's got the rebound.  Jimmy can jump.  Jimmy's new in town. ;D
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

wheresthecake?

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 10:20:04 PM »
Jimmy's got the rebound.  Jimmy can jump.  Jimmy's new in town. ;D
DON'T TOUCH JIMMY!! ;D

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 10:21:43 PM »
DON'T TOUCH JIMMY!! ;D

Jimmy is sweet on MU.
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 10:45:28 PM »
He's become one heck of a player.  From a limited bench role into what has to be one of the better sixth men in the country. 

With all the variables involved, I'd be willing to bet that Butler starts next year, at least at the beginning.  Buzz saying the 2-4 are interchangeable, the frequency of our newcomers getting injured, Buycks being a Juco which always require some adjustment period, the fact that he just keeps getting better and more comfortable, etc.

DonCornholeone

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 10:58:50 PM »
AHH!  Now I can't decide what to theme the t-shirts around...

"The BUTLER did it"

or

"Jimmy's new in town"

I guess I could make both!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 11:12:16 PM »
The biggest jump a player takes is usaully between his first and second year. He should be stronger next year, which will also help his game. Here is my prediction for him this year. He will take and make his first 3 point shot in the NCAA tournament when a team does not cover him, because he has not taken a 3 point shot all year.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 11:16:01 PM »
The biggest jump a player takes is usaully between his first and second year. He should be stronger next year, which will also help his game. Here is my prediction for him this year. He will take and make his first 3 point shot in the NCAA tournament when a team does not cover him, because he has not taken a 3 point shot all year.

I could've sworn you said that we were going to finish 11-7 and be in the NIT after the Villanova game. What happened to that?

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 11:32:28 PM »

The announcer said something like "He is not a threat out there."  First thing I thought, who knows.  He might be decent from out there.  I would like to see him try one out (if he can actually hit them) before it actually matters. 

I know he is not the "show" but I hope his teammates are encouraging him to take a shot.  There were at least two instances where he drove and had some room to pull up for a 4 or 5 footer but he threw it out for a three point shot.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
Just got back to Chicago from the game.  His team mates are encouraging him alright: he passed teh ball to James after he had an open 3, and James passed it back to him immediately - as if to wsay shoot!  He took a few steps in and shot and hit!

Then the ally oop - beautiful!  Yeah they want him to shoot - he has a pure clean stroke - very nice!!

Go Jimmy!

GO MARQUTTE!!

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 12:17:01 AM »
I started a thread months ago about how he should be somewhat of a scoring option and he is slowly proving to be one.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 06:14:00 AM »
The Butler did it in the BC with the basketball. 

Very pleased with his improvement thus far in league play.  My only request for him thus far is to take it strong to the hole, and draw contact...not avoid it.  It appears that when he drives the hoop/goes up for a shot with a defender on him, he tries to recreate his shot to avoid contact (and often gets blocked or puts up a errant shot).

I will admit that he's gotten much better at doing this as of late, but when you're as good a free throw shooter as JB is (and have the potential to always take it to the hoop), would love to see him take it right at the defender.  Hope he's taking notes from Wes/Jerel while they're here.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 08:37:13 AM »
The Butler did it in the BC with the basketball. 

Very pleased with his improvement thus far in league play.  My only request for him thus far is to take it strong to the hole, and draw contact...not avoid it.  It appears that when he drives the hoop/goes up for a shot with a defender on him, he tries to recreate his shot to avoid contact (and often gets blocked or puts up a errant shot).

I will admit that he's gotten much better at doing this as of late, but when you're as good a free throw shooter as JB is (and have the potential to always take it to the hoop), would love to see him take it right at the defender.  Hope he's taking notes from Wes/Jerel while they're here.

I don't know, I like when Jimmy drives and then pulls up 5 ft from the basket and nails it.  While you have a point, the problem is that:
1. Referees don't call the foul, hence, wasting a nice clean shot with throwing up garbage hoping for the call.  Hence, wasting what may have been an easy 5 footer with no contact.
2. Having the referees call an offensive foul.

I like Jimmy's style just fine.  Everyone had a couple shots blocked last night, Lazar, DJ, etc.

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 08:40:36 AM »
Jimmy Butler become my hero last night.  He was spectacular ... if only he could have scored two more.  So long as he can stay consistent I want to see a lot more of him.

Keith

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 08:43:43 AM »
Cain,
I'm at work and can't access the youtube link.  Is that his alley-oop highlight?  The announcers were showing some stupid graphic and cut to the play late so I kind of missed it.

Jimmy is a great addition.  I think next year he'll look for his shot more as he knows his role isn't to look for his shot like the big 4.  I still think he needs to work on his perimeter defense but he'll definitely be a threat for us next year.  Great player

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 09:20:01 PM »
MUArmy....its a link to Jimmy the basketball guru in seinfeld

feedback