Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is it me.....  (Read 5359 times)

classof70

• Team Captain
Is it me.....
« on: February 17, 2009, 08:02:59 PM »
or does Gonzalez and his team complain about almost every call?!!  Geez.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
Re: Is it me.....
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 08:06:04 PM »
NO WAY... They don't complain about the no call travel, double dribble, and backcourt violation  :D
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
not only do they complain but he's out there on the floor the entire game. That look at DJ's three-pointer was comical.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:07:57 PM »
If Seton Hall was good, Gonzalez would be one of the most hated coaches in America.  

romey

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 08:11:08 PM »
not only do they complain but he's out there on the floor the entire game. That look at DJ's three-pointer was comical.
Yeah, what's the deal with that?  Can a coach "challenge" that any time he wants?  Did he call a timeout?  I know it's a pet peeve of Jay Bilas'.  It's ridiculous a coach can stop a game for that.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 08:31:41 PM »
Finally a T on that whiner. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

classof70

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 08:42:57 PM »
No kidding.  This coach and team are the worst I've seen since watching Lutz of UNC Charlotte, who I always thought was the worst whining coach I've ever seen.

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 12:43:10 AM »
Yeah, what's the deal with that?  Can a coach "challenge" that any time he wants?  Did he call a timeout?  I know it's a pet peeve of Jay Bilas'.  It's ridiculous a coach can stop a game for that.

They said during the telecast that they will review a play as a courtesy to the coach if only one official had a good view of the play.  On the DJ three only one official said he had a good angle so they decided to look at it.   Seems kind of bogus to me.  Essentially the coach can steal another time out or two by asking the officials to review a play

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 06:19:31 AM »
Gonzalez bitched at every single call.  Drove me nuts to watch his ugly mug on tv all night long.

Refresh my memory...why was he in hot water last season?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 08:37:13 AM by Wade for President »

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 07:51:49 AM »
Because he went off about the officiating in a game.  He is a massive tool.  I sat behind their bench at the BE Tourney and he bitches at the refs the entire game.  They push and slap and knee and hip check from whistle to whistle.  As soon as they are called for it the entire bench goes ballistic.

He is in arguably the best basketball market in our country and he can't win.  He blows.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 07:53:38 AM »
Finally a T on that whiner. 

I thought the 2nd T was on Garcia, but given to the bench since he had fouled out. (1st T on Hazell)
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 07:54:52 AM »
that's what they said during the telecast, but both the AP story and Rosiak's story say it was on Gonzalez.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 07:57:22 AM »
He is in arguably the best basketball market in our country and he can't win.  He blows.

So is St. Johns...Rutgers...etc, etc, etc.

College basketball in the New York metropolitan area is amazingly bad.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 08:10:41 AM »
NO WAY... They don't complain about the no call travel, double dribble, and backcourt violation  :D

Erik, the ball and both feet have to be established in the front court in order to be called a backcourt violation....I'd forgive you if you weren't such a moron.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 08:20:46 AM »
I think SoCalwarrior's post might be one of the funniest in a while...insulting, on MULTIPLE levels.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 08:33:14 AM »
One call occurred last night that I didn't fully comprehend; maybe it was explained on TV.  I don't recall the Seton Hall player but he saved the ball from going out of bounds, then reestablished himself inbounds and picked up the ball.  It seems to me that is passing to yourself.  Roger, on the whole reestablish piece but I think that the self pass was a turnover.  Does anyone remember the play and can help with the rule?  Were the refs right?  Also was it at Seton Hall last year when DJ took the elbow in the face and the guy was ejected?  I think that the officials lost control of last night's game.  I am glad that we didn't have any injuries.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 08:39:25 AM »
The announcers were saying that the "re-establishing" thing was some sort of minor, archaic difference between college ball and pros...very strange call.  Apparently, they just called it an "inadvertent whistle".
And yeah, Seton Hall last year, we played them twice, the first time Jamar Nutter elbowed DJ, then the thug fouled him and undercut him on a dunk, that's when he injured his wrist.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 08:39:52 AM »
One call occurred last night that I didn't fully comprehend; maybe it was explained on TV.  I don't recall the Seton Hall player but he saved the ball from going out of bounds, then reestablished himself inbounds and picked up the ball.  It seems to me that is passing to yourself.  Roger, on the whole reestablish piece but I think that the self pass was a turnover.  Does anyone remember the play and can help with the rule?  Were the refs right?  Also was it at Seton Hall last year when DJ took the elbow in the face and the guy was ejected?  I think that the officials lost control of last night's game.  I am glad that we didn't have any injuries.

Bob Valvano explained it and what he said indicated the refs got it right.  You can save the ball, re-establish yourself in play, and pass the ball after re-establishing yourself in play.  If the player had tried to dribble it again it would have been traveling but because he immediately passed the ball it was a legal play.  I never heard of that rule and I too thought it should have been MU's ball.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 08:49:29 AM »
Bobby V is a awful announcer....yes you can dribble the ball, go out of bounds and reestablish yourself before dribbling again.  But under no circumstances can you save the ball by passing it, then reestablish yourself and catch the ball.  Its called traveling. 

Think about it, you could be trapped in the corner and just throw the ball over the defenders, run out of bounds, reestablish and catch it to avoid the trap!  Its a travel, and the fact that he defended it after the replay is astonishing.  There were several other times where he was misguided as well, once when burke wanted a TO not a foul and he couldn't understand why he was upset, another where the replay showed Hayward get completely slapped across the arm for a turnover and he said it was a clean play. 

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 09:02:16 AM »
Those refs were not at all good ... or they were getting paid off (good thing we're that superior to Seton Hall).

There were just a number of questionable calls that were handled poorly.  I saw a number of travels that turned into jump balls instead ... one where clearly both of the SH player's feet came off the floor, but no we run in to strip the ball and its a jump ball.

It was the worst BE officiating crew I've seen to date.  But hey, we won.

Keith

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 01:56:52 PM »
If Seton Hall was good, Gonzalez would be one of the most hated coaches in America.  

God only knows we already have one: Bruce Pearl.
SS Marquette

romey

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 08:03:01 PM »

I wondered about that too, but I don't think I saw the whole play.  From what I gather, he was dribbling, was forced out or somehow was heade out of bounds and tapped the ball in ("saved it"), came back in, re-established position (both feet down) then picked the ball up.  From what Valvano said, it was legal as long as he didn't dribble again.  I think it's the same as if he was dribbling downcourt and "poked the ball ahead, with ONE hand, then went after it and retrieved it without dribbling.  Not a pass, per se, if he doesn't pick up his dribble.  Anyone else?

Carl Spackler

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 11:04:59 AM »
I assume that the key is whether the dribble was stopped before losing it.  That is the difference with the being trapped by two defenders.  If you stop your dribble, you cant throw and go catch it again--but if you are dribbling and lose your dribble, you can go after it, whether you fall out of bounds or not, save it with two hands, NOT DRIBBLE and pass off. 

feedback