Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tiny Little Mention for MU  (Read 4198 times)

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
Tiny Little Mention for MU
« on: January 18, 2007, 04:18:07 PM »
I've been a long time lurker (ever since someone handed me a MUScoop business card in KC) and I've liked what I've been reading so far. I used to read the JSOnline message board, but all they do there is bicker about who is and isn't a fan. It gets old pretty quick.

Anyhoo...

I was reading ESPN's power 16 and Andy Katz had this to say:

I've morphed into a subjective snapshot of who I think is playing the best ball and has the potential to be top-16 seeds. Really from 11 on down, the teams will rotate in and out of this mix, with Butler, Tennessee, Marquette, Clemson, Air Force, Duke, LSU and Alabama all having a potential turn. I feel strongly, though, about these being the top 10 teams in America. I still like the way Nevada is playing, so much that I considered moving the Wolf Pack into the top 10. Texas is a team to watch throughout the next few weeks as the Longhorns get better and better. Don't think for a second that Texas is out of the picture for a potential appearance in Atlanta. Freshmen Kevin Durant and D.J. Augustin could end up carrying this squad deep in March. I finally relented on Kentucky after the Wildcats pasted South Carolina on the road and I've fallen back in line with Memphis, despite the Tigers playing in an incredibly weak league. The loss at Stanford didn't scare me off one bit from Washington State. Carry on.

So, there is a little love :)

nate
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Tiny Little Mention for MU
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 04:51:04 PM »
After Pitt, Marquette has a very manageable schedule of 4 games, with the more difficult ones coming at home until Gtown.  That stretch will tell us a lot about this team, and whether they deserve to be part of a power 16.

For those interested, Here's the link to the original power 16 notes.

Also, welcome nate - glad those business cards weren't just littered around KC illegally :)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 05:18:04 PM »
After Pitt, Marquette has a very manageable schedule of 4 games, with the more difficult ones coming at home until Gtown.  That stretch will tell us a lot about this team

I think the current stretch has already shown us more -- lets hope it continues.   Since starting out 0-2 with their backs firmly against the wall, MU went into a brutal stretch of 3 of 4 on the road -- where 3 of their opponents were ranked.

Heck, MU is in the midst of a month where they play only three home games against 5 roadies....stretches like this are where u learn more about a team, IMHO.  this is when the slate is the toughest.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 05:30:25 PM »
I, also, hang out on the jsonline board.   Sometimes, I actually enjoy the anarchy.   However, for pure MU discussion, this is my first choice.  Kudos to our moderators.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 05:31:16 PM »
Well, I guess you learn the most about a team over the whole season.  My point was, if we come back home and drop a couple of those games - then all the road glory will be lost.  We've played well and gotten a couple good road wins, but unfortunately, this year 3 of our 4 losses have come at home  :( 

Can't let that happen anymore, and need to protect our house. 

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 05:59:53 PM »
Sometimes, I actually enjoy the anarchy.

I just get tired of the Abe v. Jugdish battle. Those two do not like each other. We get it :) Yet it seems to come up in every conversation. Ack. Anyway...don't want to start anything like that here :)

I was actually just thinking -- it would be cool for MU to make the Power16, since it gives the guys some national exposure, but, at the same time, I like flying under the radar.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 06:22:35 PM »
we were in the power 16 earlier this season, reachign as high as a 3 after beating duke.  i agree, it's cool to see our name up there.  if we beat pitt, i think you'll get your wish.

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 08:17:43 PM »
I am probably the newest memeber of this Forum.  It is great to go to a Marquette forum and actually talk about Marquette basketball.  I got so sick of Badger fans invading the MU forum on JSonline that I had to find somewhere else to go.  They are so pathetic, they are having a great season, yet all they can talk about is a lack of respect, they have the worst inferiority complex of any fans Ive ever talked to.  That said I love the site, keep up the good work!

I hope MU stays out of the ranks and power polls for at least a while yet.  Flying under the radar and getting "disrespected" are very good motivators.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 10:31:55 PM »
I am probably the newest memeber of this Forum.  It is great to go to a Marquette forum and actually talk about Marquette basketball.

Well, you're in the top 10 at least  ;D
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?action=mlist;sort=registered;start=0;desc

Glad you guys found the place, and are jumping in to contribute as well.  The more the merrier   8)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 06:10:58 AM »
Rocco, I liked your work at jsonline.  Are you honestly going to miss the insanity?   No, this is a much more focused group.  Welcome.   grfdlt
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 12:01:10 PM »
Tower, didn't realize you were Grfdlt.  I liked your posts at jsonline.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 12:48:55 PM »
Gracias.  Me, too.

feedback