[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Looks like we can...  (Read 4125 times)

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Looks like we can...
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:40:15 AM »
get the pen ready to cross Georgetown off the list of teams that have won 10 games in each season of the new Big East.  They need all 6 remaining games to get there:

@USF
Marquette
Louisville
@Villanova
@St. John's
DePaul

That'll leave just Marquette and Pitt on that list.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: Looks like we can...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 10:04:51 AM »
I know we had the 3 amigos for that run, but that is one impressive stat.
UConn can't claim it.
Syracuse can't claim it.
Looserville can't claim it.
Notre Who can't.
and now likely, GT can't.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 10:09:33 AM »
I know we had the 3 amigos for that run, but that is one impressive stat.
UConn can't claim it.
Syracuse can't claim it.
Looserville can't claim it.
Notre Who can't.
and now likely, GT can't.
Marquette's the only one that did it with more than one coach.  :D
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 10:32:34 AM »
Boy, Tom Crean was terrible wasn't he?

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 11:01:53 AM »
They actually brought that up during the UConn/Pitt broadcast last night....very impressive.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 11:20:41 AM »
It's entirely possible that both PITT and MU will not reach 10 wins next year.  PITT loses Young and Fields, and maybe Blair. 

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 11:28:26 AM »
I would be shocked if we came remotely close to 10 BE wins next year. Pitt will still be solid....as long as Blair returns.

nola03

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 11:53:43 AM »
It's entirely possible that both PITT and MU will not reach 10 wins next year.  PITT loses Young and Fields, and maybe Blair. 

Anything can happen, but don't bet on that.

The Panthers have done it eight years running. They've lost stars before and keep on winning. They've got some nice talent waiting in the wings and a very good recruiting class. What Dixon has done with that program since inheriting it has been impressive.

My money is on Pitt continuing the streak next season and becoming the only team to win 10 every year since the Big East shuffled the deck.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 12:01:48 PM »
The Big East should be down next year.  Besides us, UConn is losing a ton (Price, Adrien, probably Thabeet), assuming Blair moves on Pitt will be losing a lot, Providence has 8 seniors, etc.  The league is going to be very young.  A couple of the recent lower tier schools will have a good opportunity to make some hay.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 12:04:14 PM »
Agreed that PITT always seems to have players ready to come in and play.  I also believe that they haven;t had a kid leave early for the draft.  They tend to recruit and develop 4 year players.  If Blair leaves, I think that may leave a hole they weren't prepared to fill.  We'll see.  And as good as PITT has been, my friends and I have a joke: nothing is certain except for death, taxes, and PITT losing in the sweet sixteen.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 12:17:10 PM »
Agreed that PITT always seems to have players ready to come in and play.  I also believe that they haven;t had a kid leave early for the draft.  They tend to recruit and develop 4 year players.  If Blair leaves, I think that may leave a hole they weren't prepared to fill.  We'll see.  And as good as PITT has been, my friends and I have a joke: nothing is certain except for death, taxes, and PITT losing in the sweet sixteen.

Chris Taft left as a sophomore, but he's about the only one that comes to mind. But I tend to agree with those who think Blair is gone after this season.

Georgetown also stands to be down next year should Monroe and/or Summers opt to go pro.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 12:31:47 PM »
Next year may suck.   However, if Buzz actually IS a genius we will be competitive with anybody at home.   Those conference road games could be brutal. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 01:06:34 PM »
Chris Taft left as a sophomore, but he's about the only one that comes to mind. But I tend to agree with those who think Blair is gone after this season.

Georgetown also stands to be down next year should Monroe and/or Summers opt to go pro.

Yeah I thought of Taft, but for some reason, I thought he put his name in and then pulled out.  Either way, that kid was a head case...they may have been better off without him.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 01:24:25 PM »
next year will be unique to say the least...lotta new faces!!! 8-10 next year would be superb
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 01:28:49 PM »
Next year may suck.   However, if Buzz actually IS a genius we will be competitive with anybody at home.   Those conference road games could be brutal. 

Remember how 2004-05 was going to suck, having to rely on a bunch of freshmen and only one noteworthy starter in the Big East?
Let's hope history can repeat itself.
Either way, it'll probably be worth watching.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 01:29:44 PM »
Before we go too far down the "we'll suck next year" road, lets keep in mind that our current 4-year streak of 10+ win seasons began with 3 freshmen making significant contributions.  

If James, McNeal, and Matthews can flank Steve Novak to reach a 10-6 record, I have confidence that Cadougan, Buycks, McMorrow, Maymon, Williams and Roseboro can help Lazar Hayward get to 10-8.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 02:42:14 PM »
Before we go too far down the "we'll suck next year" road, lets keep in mind that our current 4-year streak of 10+ win seasons began with 3 freshmen making significant contributions.  

If James, McNeal, and Matthews can flank Steve Novak to reach a 10-6 record, I have confidence that Cadougan, Buycks, McMorrow, Maymon, Williams and Roseboro can help Lazar Hayward get to 10-8.

I am a fan but how can anyone have confidence in McMorrow (has he even started running yet), Roseboro (he had a good stretch and is a "sleeper", sleepers don't show up and tear it up their freshmen year), and Buycks (don't we recall that JuCo stats don't count).  Can anyone tell me a team that went to the Tourney (forget 10 wins for now) after losing close to 70% of the scoring and (I don't know the stat) a large percentage of the steals. 

Other than Jimmy Butler, no other player is developing.  The three amigos and Hayward each play around 35 minutes a game.  The fact is that we are going to have a brand new team on our hands next season that will be a young team.  Young teams make dumb mistakes, get freaked out in pressure situations, mismanage the clock, and will not understand situational plays. 

I think we will win 4 or 5 games next year.  There will be very few games that we "should" win, and we will lose a couple of them.  I think we will lose about every game we are suppose to lose.  IF the kids are as good as projected, we will win an upset because they will put it together for a game or two.  Don't get me wrong, I will still hope, watch, and cheer, but I have no confidence in anyone other than Hayward.

I am a guy that would rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.  All I know for sure is next year will be a bumpy ride.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 03:15:56 PM »
Michigan with the Fab 5.   I hated them and they cheated, but they were successful without any significant upperclass contributions.    Lazar is far better than any upperclassman on that team.    Not saying it will happen.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 09:24:26 AM »

Monroe can't be that stupid.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 09:35:34 AM »
I am a fan but how can anyone have confidence in McMorrow (has he even started running yet), Roseboro (he had a good stretch and is a "sleeper", sleepers don't show up and tear it up their freshmen year), and Buycks (don't we recall that JuCo stats don't count).  Can anyone tell me a team that went to the Tourney (forget 10 wins for now) after losing close to 70% of the scoring and (I don't know the stat) a large percentage of the steals. 

Other than Jimmy Butler, no other player is developing.  The three amigos and Hayward each play around 35 minutes a game.  The fact is that we are going to have a brand new team on our hands next season that will be a young team.  Young teams make dumb mistakes, get freaked out in pressure situations, mismanage the clock, and will not understand situational plays. 

I think we will win 4 or 5 games next year.  There will be very few games that we "should" win, and we will lose a couple of them.  I think we will lose about every game we are suppose to lose.  IF the kids are as good as projected, we will win an upset because they will put it together for a game or two.  Don't get me wrong, I will still hope, watch, and cheer, but I have no confidence in anyone other than Hayward.

I am a guy that would rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.  All I know for sure is next year will be a bumpy ride.

ErickJD - you come on here claiming you are a fan, however i have not read one positive post from you in the past 3 days... and you have posted a lot.  i guess the old saying, with fans like you who needs Louisville. 

i know this isn't the diener / novak thread, but i would like to add one to this.

People who claim being fans but can't say anything positive... Douches

with that being said, i have no expectation going into next year other than to hope for an exciting Marquette team.  i think these kids are going to give us something we haven't seen in a long time... a full athletic team.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 09:39:50 AM »
Monroe can't be that stupid.

As of Feb. 6 ESPN ranks Monroe the #2 prospect for the 2009 NBA draft, behind Blake Griffin.
Sports Illustrated ranks him the #5 NBA prospect.
NBAdraft.net has him going #8.
Draft Express has him going #3.

Methinks if he expects to be a top 5, maybe even top 10, pick, he's gone. And it would not be stupid.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 09:52:29 AM »

Other than Jimmy Butler, no other player is developing. 

Wrong.

Rob Frozena got in for a minute last night and that experience will help make him a better player.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 05:21:51 PM »
Boy, Tom Crean was terrible wasn't he?

Not terrible, just a bastard   ;D

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 05:24:07 PM »
As of Feb. 6 ESPN ranks Monroe the #2 prospect for the 2009 NBA draft, behind Blake Griffin.
Sports Illustrated ranks him the #5 NBA prospect.
NBAdraft.net has him going #8.
Draft Express has him going #3.

Methinks if he expects to be a top 5, maybe even top 10, pick, he's gone. And it would not be stupid.

Rephrase: NBA GM's can't be that stupid, can they?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

feedback