[Today at 05:24:39 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by 4everwarriors
[Today at 05:02:22 PM]

2024-25 Roster by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[June 08, 2024, 07:42:23 PM]

Incoming freshmen by MuMark
[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 'McGuire' playing again in May 2009  (Read 7075 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
'McGuire' playing again in May 2009
« on: February 14, 2009, 10:29:22 AM »
From Buzz's press conference, he mentioned he wanted to go see the "McGuire" play when it returns in May of this year.

Didn't know it was scheduled again this year at MU.

Looks like it's also going on in April out in Hollywood. 

http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/archives/2009/02/mcguire-play.html

For those who haven't seen it .. it's a real gem.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bill_trocchi/03/29/mcguire.enberg/

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: 'McGuire' playing again in May 2009
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 12:19:41 PM »
To Chico (or any SoCal MUer):

How safe is North Hollywood - where El Portal is at?

I don't envision this coming up my way (NorCal), so I'm considering heading down.
SS Marquette

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 12:34:19 PM »

I don't envision this coming up my way (NorCal), so I'm considering heading down.

That part is totally fine. This summer I both lived and worked within about a half mile of there and drove past El Portal every day. Never went inside though so I can't tell you about the venue.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 01:42:36 PM »
"it's a real gem"

absolutely.  worth any effort to get to see it.  I will go again when it returns.

g0ldmember42

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 03:05:33 PM »
North Hollywood is a good spot.... spent the first 18 years of my life there before heading out to MU in 2002. never been to this venue, but it sounds like it's in the NoHo Arts District. If you come down, go somewhere in Studio City for dinner beforehand (Mexicali is a spot I'd recommend) and it's just a 10 minute drive or so from there.

So jealous. Really want to see this play and I'm in MKE now, so I guess I'll just have to wait for it to make its way back here.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 06:53:40 AM »
Perhaps we can get Dick Enberg and the guy who plays Al (sorry. forgot his name) to make a DVD. The we can all see it.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 07:59:45 AM »
You know, that's a good point.  It's a very simple production, one man, no scene changes.  Right around 60 minutes long.  Easily filmable.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 01:10:16 PM »
Anyone know when it will be in Milwaukee?  What dates?  And where?  I know Buzz said May.... thanks

ZMovieman

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 01:16:53 PM »
Just got on the board. I graduated from the theatre department last year. Yes, Cotter Smith is coming back to portray Al. Really a good actor and a good guy. The show is in May, and I can probably follow up with more details since I'm doing some work there now. However, I will say that I was under the assumption that this was not McGuire, but another show using the wisdom of Al. I'll check into it.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 05:53:13 PM »
Thanks Zmovieman - lok forward to more info!

ZMovieman

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 12:51:48 PM »
Alright. I'm back with some updates on McGuire. Here's what the official release says:

Don't Undress Until You Die: The Wit and Wisdom of Al McGuire
A One Man Play By Dick Enberg
Starring Cotter Smith

May 15 & 16, 2009
7:30 PM
Evan P. and Marion Helfaer Theatre
525 N. 13th Street
Marquette University

Tickets on Sale March 1, 2009
Call for more info at (414) 288-7504

It seems from talking to the people at the theatre that this is in fact the same show as before, just renamed. Regardless, it's definitely worth seeing (even if you've seen it already). I've met Smith before and he's a wonderful person and actor. If you are in town, definitely swing on by!

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 01:39:25 PM »
Any info on ticket prices?

ZMovieman

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 01:56:24 PM »
No word on pricing. But it's probably comparable to last time, for what it's worth.

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 03:47:42 PM »
Unfortunately, that does not help me. I am not from the Milwaukee area, but am considering planning to travel back to campus to see this.  So can you or anyone else tell me how much tickets were last time?  Thank you.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 04:31:38 PM »
pbs in milwaukee is working on a program on al...
will find out if it is based on the play

ZMovieman

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 06:14:15 PM »
Tickets are $30 each. Twice as much as student productions there, but on par with most of the professional theatre in the area (so not a bad deal at all). Only two performances, so plan ahead. I'm trying to find out if they are reserved seating or general admission though. Hope that helps Coach Dale!

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 11:39:05 PM »
Thank you for the info.  I will be calling on March 1st!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 11:01:30 AM »

You'll be fine.  I just bought two tickets for the show.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 11:13:23 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 11:27:02 PM »
I'm hearing this is in Chicago?

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 07:44:12 AM »
I'm going to see it Thursday in Chicago at the Greenhouse Theater Center 2257 N. Lincoln Ave. There's also a post-show question and answer session with Enberg and the actor for an extra $25. I'll report back on it after I see the show. Looking forward to it.

MauraDay

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 11:02:17 AM »
I'm going up to Chicago Thursday night (from Indy) to see the show. I bought tickets, but how do I get tickets to the post-show q&a? Do you have to buy those at the theatre? Thanks for your help.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 11:18:22 AM »
I'm going up to Chicago Thursday night (from Indy) to see the show. I bought tickets, but how do I get tickets to the post-show q&a? Do you have to buy those at the theatre? Thanks for your help.

This should help:

http://www.alumni.marquette.edu/cgi-any/activities.dll/show?bid=46&id=1000&template=event_register.htm

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 04:11:33 PM »
I'm attending by myself tomorrow - where are you all sitting that bought through the alumni association?  I just saw the post on that, e-mailed to see if can attend the reception.  I'll be in Row E, center, if you're nearby let me know! 

TJ

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 11:04:18 PM »
Just got back from tonight's performance.  I didn't know there was a reception tomorrow or I might have reconsidered which day to attend...

Anyway, it was spectacular.  Absolutely wonderful experience.  Funny, informative, heartwarming, etc.  Couldn't have been better.  Everyone on this board in the Milwaukee/Chicago area should make every effort to see it one of the next 3 days.

For people older than 30-35, I'm sure it brought back great memories.  For us under that age who didn't get to know him as well, it was like a chance to meet Al and get to know him.  The lead actor talked about Al's life and the "philosophy" he lived by, told stories from both the coaching and the commenting days (and from his personal life too), and gave us an idea of what Al was really like.

Dick Enberg and Cotter spoke for like 20 minutes after and I have to say that Dick telling Al stories was the best part.  Dick told this story that Al had told him:

Al and Billy Packer (and Dick, but he didn't participate in this) were doing a game in New York and they were both cheap.  So they told NBC to give them the money they would have spent on a hotel room for them and they would get their own hotel.  So they get a room at this crummy hotel on the west side.  Al, Billy, and Al's son Rob (I think) are staying in this tiny room with 2 twin beds.  Rob goes out for the night, but the other two stay in.  They realize that Rob doesn't have a hotel room key, so they leave the door cracked from him.  Al used to like sleeping on cold tile floors, so it turns out that Al's sprawled out in his underwear, lying on the tile bathroom floor, and Billy Packer is sleeping in his underwear on one of the twin beds.  The door swings wide open during the night and when a security guard walks by on his rounds he looks in and sees what has to look like a double homicide.  He yells into the room "what's going on in there" and Al sits straight up and says "We're waiting for Robby" and lays back down.

I'm sure it's not as funny typed out as it was when Dick Enberg told it, but he had the whole theater laughing.

So everyone, get out Thursday in Chicago or Friday or Saturday in Milwaukee.  It's totally worth it.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
I saw the show last night--outstanding. Lauged a lot and the slightly more than an hour show went by in a blink. Cotter Smith and Enberg were great telling stories after the show too. Bo Ellis and Joey Meyer were also there.

Meyer told the story of a someone ringing his doorbell at 8:30 one Christmas morning. His wife went down to get the door, and came back up and told Joey that Al McGuire was at the door. Joey responded that he would've gone down if it was John Wooden. Anyway, he went down and Al tells him he was staying in the neighborhood with a friend, and knew Joey lived in the neighborhood so he kept asking people until someone knew where Joey lived. Just wanted to say hi, stayed briefly and left.

Dick Enberg is very far from the washed up old announcer I thought he'd become. He was great, and it was surreal talking to him and hearing that so familiar voice.

Truly a great night.