[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Two Big Games  (Read 2678 times)

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
Two Big Games
« on: February 12, 2009, 10:05:44 AM »
We've got a two-game homestand. It's time to right the ship. To get go back to playing "within character" as Buzz would say.

I wonder how many of the other desktop coaches on the board would like to see Buzz use the homestand against two relatively weaker teams to take a live look at the only two other big bodies we have on the roster. After this week, the stakes are higher and it gets incrementally tougher to give a little-used player a shot.

As far as Fulce goes, I think that - even after the injury - we were all hoping that his relative size and athleticism would push him into the rotation (at least a bit) by this point in the season.

For Project Chris, I can see how a freshman big would take more time to develop but how about giving the kid two minute stints 2-3 times a game?

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Two Big Games
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:25:46 AM »
Yeah, he should get those guys in for a few minutes.

Even more importantly, he needs to right the ship as you say, by improving the defense; improving the blocking out and getting them to make 70% of their FT's.

I am getting very frustrated by our annual tail end of the year fade, which seems to happen about this time every year.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 10:41:34 AM »
Doesn't know if this qualifies as a "tail end of the year" fade. We had an awful night in South Florida and still had two chances to win it. Tuesday we ran into a red-hot Villanova team that, let's face it, is better man-for-man than we are. If we "fade" this year perhaps it's because of the teams we're playing in the final five games -- three of those teams are legitimate Final Four contenders. Hopefully we bounce back at home with two winnable games and then take care of business at G'Town, which all of a sudden is not the loss we all thought it was early in the year.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 12:21:28 PM »
Doesn't know if this qualifies as a "tail end of the year" fade. We had an awful night in South Florida and still had two chances to win it. Tuesday we ran into a red-hot Villanova team that, let's face it, is better man-for-man than we are. If we "fade" this year perhaps it's because of the teams we're playing in the final five games -- three of those teams are legitimate Final Four contenders. Hopefully we bounce back at home with two winnable games and then take care of business at G'Town, which all of a sudden is not the loss we all thought it was early in the year.
Man for man Nova is better...?  I disagree with you other than Cunningham.  MU matches up well.  Nova was simply hot and took serious advantage of its superiority down low (although burke did control Cunningham on New Year's Day).  Playing in the Pavilion bandbox in front of a charged-up crowd helped as well.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 12:40:56 PM »

...."end of the year fade"..... what a joke.   If we go 1-4 or 2-3 in our last 5, people are going to be saying we are fading again.   UConn, G-town, L-ville, 'Cuse and Pitt, and <.500 equals a fade. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 12:50:02 PM »
One factor I haven't read about the NOVA loss was the difference in Scottie Reynolds' play.

He was out for blood Tuesday. I don't know much about Reynolds but he's been a solid BE player for a while. You've gotta assume he's a player with a lot of pride.

In January, DJ literally shut Reynolds out (0 points) and drew either 2 or 3 charges on him. It was an absolute domination that helped to grind a not-yet-hot NOVA team to a halt.

I'm guessing game 2 was personal for Reynolds. He must've gone into the game on his court looking to prove that he capable of scoring against DJ and directing his streaking team to a big revenge win.

That musta felt good. Case made Mr. Reynolds.

Rubber match in the Garden?

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 12:56:06 PM »
actually, reynolds had 15 points in the first game.  DJ shut out deonta vaughn in the cincy game.  DJ did foul Reynolds out by taking 3 charges.

DonCornholeone

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 12:56:57 PM »
Starting 9-0 and spending a few weeks in the top 10 was fun, and sort of dream-like, really... but reality is always waiting.  Everyone has a bad loss, and USF was ours.  Nova is red hot, and there is no way to overcome 60% shooting by opponent on the road...unless you shoot 61%...and maybe, possibly hit better than 50% from the ft line.  Reality is 12-6 at this point, which is an awesome record in the Big East this season.  Let's get back on track with drubbings of St.Johns and Seton Hall.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 01:19:24 PM »
actually, reynolds had 15 points in the first game.  DJ shut out deonta vaughn in the cincy game.  DJ did foul Reynolds out by taking 3 charges.

Reynolds scored 15, but according to the announcers after that game, none of those 15 came when he was being guarded by DJ.  He scored all of his points while being guarded by McNeal, Acker, or on some switch.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 01:22:56 PM »
I just don;t think reality is 12-6.  We should beat cuse at home.  and if there is any team that we have a chance to straight up outscore, it's louisville.  I can;t remember a game in which they've scored 70 recently, although I'm sure they have.  We have Uconn at home, and while they are the #1 team, I still think they can be beaten by packing in a zone and making them shoot over you, especially with Dyson out.  WE've already beaten Georgetown, and in a more convincing fashion than Nova.  hell, cincy beat g-town in DC.  That south florida loss really hurts but I think we have as good of a chance at finishing 14-4 as we do 12-6.  
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 01:24:28 PM by dwaderoy2004 »

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 01:23:24 PM »
Reynolds scored 15, but according to the announcers after that game, none of those 15 came when he was being guarded by DJ.  He scored all of his points while being guarded by McNeal, Acker, or on some switch.

fair enough

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 01:57:25 PM »
Perhaps I should not have said "man for man." Nova, I think, is better because they are as quick as we are and are much deeper. We basically are a 4-man team; Nova has seven guys who can burn you. I agree we match up OK with them at four of the five positions.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 02:00:05 PM by ecompt »

feedback