[Today at 01:43:07 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] A New 2009 Name...MU among final two schools  (Read 18563 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] A New 2009 Name...MU among final two schools
« on: February 08, 2009, 09:45:07 PM »
A New 2009 Name...MU among final two schools

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (bma725)

With the recent commitment of Monterale Clark, the focus for MU fans may have shifted a bit towards the recruiting Class of 2010, but that doesn't mean Buzz Williams and his staff have shifted their focus from the Class of 2009.

We all know the names at this point: Dashonte Riley, Sherrod Wright, Jeremy Adams, Darius Smith, Victor Rudd, Latavious Williams and of course Jamil Wilson.  Now it's time to throw a new name into the mix, because according to The Roanoke Times Marquette is in the final two for Glenn Bryant.

Who is Glenn Bryant and why haven't we heard of him before, you ask?  Good Question.  The shorter answer is, he's an athletic 6'8", 200 lb Combo Forward known mostly for his highlight real dunks.   At this point, we know he great leaping ability and is a good rebounder, but the rest of his game  is still a work in progress.  ESPN did a nice review a month ago,  but there's more to this story than just his leaping ability and shooting stroke.

Bryant is originally from the Detroit area, and through his sophomore year, he wasn't getting much high major love.  Michigan State and Syracuse were showing some interest but hadn't offered him a scholarship.  In an effort to get more exposure and increase his chances of going to a high major program, Bryant transferred to famed Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Virginia.  The move worked, and prior to his senior year he picked up offers from programs like Memphis, Syracuse, Michigan, Arizona and Xavier.  Additionally, according to ESPN he was receiving interest from Kansas, Texas, and North Carolina.

When MU became involved with him is a bit of a guess, but it's an educated one.  Bryant and his Oak Hill teammates were in Milwaukee this past December for the Converse/Eastbay Classic at the Al McGuire Center, and members of the MU staff were seen in attendance at his game.  It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the recruiting really took off at that time, given that MU is in his final two schools not even two months later.

At this point, we don't know if MU is the leader for Bryant or how close he is to a decision.  What we do know is that Buzz and his staff are still tirelessly recruiting the Class of 2009, and we can say for sure that the rest of the year is going to be interesting both on and off the court.

P.S. Thanks to Cracked Sidewalks for the invite.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2009/02/new-2009-namemu-among-final-two-schools.html

shaquilvaine

• Starter
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] A New 2009 Name...MU among final two schools
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 09:51:49 PM »
Great to see bma75 and John Pudner added to the blog... didn't think it could get any better but I guess I was wrong. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 10:06:56 PM »
Yeah, we're really psyched that we could add both Pudner and bma, and they both came up with great first posts today.

As time goes on, our real lives interfere with this wonderful hobby, and we started looking around for new writers to beef up the blog.  Pudner had his foot in the door, but bma always impressed us with his knowledge, especially shoring up our recruiting coverage.

Welcome, guys!

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 10:21:38 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, and the part I enjoy the most is READING the recruiting news like this, about which I would know nothing on my own.  The future and the present look great.  GO MARQUETTE!
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 10:57:41 PM »
For sure... GREAT jump out the gate by both bma and JP.

It is fantastic to have both of those guys on the CS team.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 11:00:26 PM »
Was that MTV VJ Sway in that highlight clip?

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 11:15:29 PM »
THAT'S AWESOME!

Dude...He's "expected to choose between Marquette and Alabama-Birmingham"

Come on now....COME ON!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 12:14:48 AM »
THAT'S AWESOME!

Dude...He's "expected to choose between Marquette and Alabama-Birmingham"

Come on now....COME ON!

You're telling me!!! LOL!
SS Marquette

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 12:51:08 AM »
The interest in UAB likely stems from Mike Davis and rumor has it that Davis could land either the Alabama or Georgia job next year.  This could be a Nick Williams like situtation where Bryant could commit to UAB and then follow Davis to Georgia or Alabama if he gets either of those jobs.   

Hope Buzz can get him!

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 08:28:55 AM »
anyone else notice that on the Glenn Bryant Wikipedia page it has a heading for "Marquette Career"?  just curious as to why this would be up there if he hasn't decided yet.  unless one of our fans put that in to help sway him.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

bma725

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 08:41:02 AM »
anyone else notice that on the Glenn Bryant Wikipedia page it has a heading for "Marquette Career"?  just curious as to why this would be up there if he hasn't decided yet.  unless one of our fans put that in to help sway him.

That's the default for the Wiki.  Every recruits page is created with "Marquette Career"  "Commitment Date"  "Unofficial Visit"  even though most of them will never have anything like that happen.  I could have deleted it when I created his page, but I was in a rush to get the story up so I just left it there.

GregShimonFor2

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 09:45:48 AM »
Couple of things ...

1) Don't get too excited about Bryant ... and

2) His name has been connected with MU for a long time now.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 10:31:07 AM »
Maybe it's me, but I wasn't really too impressed with the kid.  All the clips showed that he can catch and dunk, which I hope any high D1 talent that's 6'10'' can do.  I'm going to hold off on getting my hopes up until we can see some clips that involve more than just dunking.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 10:55:42 AM »
If we had 2 players leave this spring, I'd have no problem taking Bryant w/one of the openings --- so then we could still land a guard w/the other scholarship. Another guard is a crying need.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 11:12:54 AM »
FWIW...I'm not saying MU should take him, my #1 if we are taking another player in 2009 is Darius Smith, and it's not even close IMO.  I'm just that his name is now officially out there and connected with MU.  Outside of a handful of posts on the boards where his name was mentioned is passing, no one has officially put Glenn Bryant with MU.  Not Scout, not Rivals, not ESPN.  This is the first mention that MU is one of his top choices by any sort of media, and it was so low profile that no one noticed it for a week before I posted it.  So he's not exactly on the radar. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 11:24:24 AM »
A year ago, when we were in the longest big man drought in history, this would have excited me.   Today, looking at the roster and the incoming class it doesn't.   Now, as I read this, all that keeps going through my head is PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, GET ANOTHER GUARD!!!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GregShimonFor2

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 12:03:04 PM »
FWIW...I'm not saying MU should take him, my #1 if we are taking another player in 2009 is Darius Smith, and it's not even close IMO.  I'm just that his name is now officially out there and connected with MU.  Outside of a handful of posts on the boards where his name was mentioned is passing, no one has officially put Glenn Bryant with MU.  Not Scout, not Rivals, not ESPN.  This is the first mention that MU is one of his top choices by any sort of media, and it was so low profile that no one noticed it for a week before I posted it.  So he's not exactly on the radar. 

He's been discussed for at least a month on the Scout pay board.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 12:20:34 PM »
actually no one really took much note of it, but last summer MU was mentioned with him in a Memphis Newspaper and I posted it on the scout premium board.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 12:30:22 PM »
He's been discussed for at least a month on the Scout pay board.

I'm not talking about the board, I'm talking about press.  You'll notice that Scout doesn't list him with MU and hasn't done an article on him in over a year.  ESPN doesn't list him with MU despite having watched him play last month.  Rivals doesn't list him with MU despite doing an article on him in December.

The only mention of him on the Premium in weeks occurred yesterday after I posted this article and someone copied the link out of the article into the board.

In fact, if I were just reading the premium board I never would have known we were recruiting him.  I came across this completely by accident when I was updating the Wiki.  I was trying to find information on MU having been involved with Tiny Gallon(Bryant's teammate) in the past, because I thought we were but couldn't find anything.  When I did a google search for "Tiny Gallon Marquette" the article with the Bryant mention popped up.

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 01:43:38 PM »
with what we having comming in next year / with the verbals for 2110 we need a guard not a guy who can't handle the ball, can't shoot, can't post.

GUARDS WIN

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 01:51:07 PM »
In fact, if I were just reading the premium board I never would have known we were recruiting him.

Actually, Bryant was discussed a few weeks back on Scout premium.  He's been to campus a couple times already.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 02:18:02 PM »
In fact, if I were just reading the premium board I never would have known we were recruiting him.
Actually, Bryant was discussed a few weeks back on Scout premium.  He's been to campus a couple times already.

I'm aware he was discussed, but I only found those posts after going back and looking through the archives of old posts.  There's been a grand total of two threads on the kid in the last month, and they received almost no discussion.  I'm on that board nearly every day, and never even saw them.   The implication here that this is somehow not news because people on the premium board already knew about him and were discussing him for the last several months is an absolute joke. 

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 02:29:16 PM »
What do you mean BMA?  For only 9.95 a month you can find out about MU basketball a day before everyone else!  Plus Dodds post more on that site, which is awesome.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 02:31:59 PM »
What do you mean BMA?  For only 9.95 a month you can find out about MU basketball a day before everyone else!  Plus Dodds post more on that site, which is awesome.

I'd pay $99.95 for Dodds not to post anywhere.

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 02:35:17 PM »
I'm aware he was discussed, but I only found those posts after going back and looking through the archives of old posts.  There's been a grand total of two threads on the kid in the last month, and they received almost no discussion.  I'm on that board nearly every day, and never even saw them.   The implication here that this is somehow not news because people on the premium board already knew about him and were discussing him for the last several months is an absolute joke. 

No, I agree that it is news on this board that we've been recruiting Bryant...

If I follow your logic, there were two threads on the kid, but you missed them even though you check that board nearly everyday, so that means he wasn't discussed.  Hmmm.

Who said he has been discussed for "several months"?  All I said was that premium Scout had already discussed his recruitment a few weeks back.  

feedback