Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: As I wrote at RingOutAhoya.com on Nov. 20, 2006, ...  (Read 2555 times)

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
As I wrote at RingOutAhoya.com on Nov. 20, 2006, ...
« on: January 16, 2007, 09:29:13 AM »
... the problem with that forum’s being "dead," or close to it, is that basketball junkies from other schools will still come to it and be left with the grossly incorrect impression that Marquette has a weak fan base that has little interest in and few thoughts about the team.

We know none of that is true, but appearances can be horribly deceiving.

Since December, I have read on five other collegiate teams' fan sites -- most recently, Louisville's -- that other people are wondering and confused about what has happened to the Marquette site at Rivals.com. There is almost no activity there.

I urged back in November that if few people were going to visit and contribute to that site, it would be in the best interest of MU and its basketball team to close this site. This is now more true than ever.

I still do not understand why we have -- or feel the need to have -- multiple fan sites for Marquette basketball. I do not know what happened at Rivals.com that led to the current state of affairs.

I do know, however, that RingOutAhoya.com, in its current condition, hardly presents an accurate portrayal of Marquette basketball or the huge, loyal and enthusiastic fan base it enjoys.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: As I wrote at RingOutAhoya.com on Nov. 20, 2006, ...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 09:54:03 AM »
Juno and Dodds created a schism years ago, splitting the MU community in two.

MUScoop created a better mousetrap and filled a vacuum as Ahoya sank. 

Sometimes things just don't work out the way we want.  But this is what we got now.

However .. I would say having 3 sites (including Cracked Sidewalks) is a good thing.   Dodds' pay site has really improved this year, with tons of content they didn't use to have.  Some (most) of the credit for that is simple competition, and the community benefits from that.

If the price we pay is that Loserville fans have a harder time finding our community .. may not be a bad thing!

(That reminds me of last year and Pitt fans, who took the prize as as the WORST fans in the BE.)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 10:04:53 AM »
I do know, however, that RingOutAhoya.com, in its current condition, hardly presents an accurate portrayal of Marquette basketball or the huge, loyal and enthusiastic fan base it enjoys.

Not sure what the big deal is......check out Georgetown's Scout board, or the Cincy Rivals board, or worse - - the PC Rivals board. Communities for any program evolve and migrate. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 10:10:22 AM »
I still do not understand why we have -- or feel the need to have -- multiple fan sites for Marquette basketball.

Feel free to take it on as your personal agenda to get everyone consolidated at MUScoop.  ;D

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 12:22:45 PM »
I like it this way much better.

I find myself much less irritated around game days, because I don't have to sift through idiot punks who think they are such tough guys trash talking on a bulletin board.

Of course I get some of the same feelings reading some MU fan posts, but that is like being mad at your brother rather than the kid across the street.

Tampa Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 04:59:17 PM »
I like it this way much better.

I find myself much less irritated around game days, because I don't have to sift through idiot punks who think they are such tough guys trash talking on a bulletin board.

Of course I get some of the same feelings reading some MU fan posts, but that is like being mad at your brother rather than the kid across the street.

I tend to agree. There were exceptions to be sure, but the visits from other teams' fans more often was a negative than a positive for me.

If fans of other teams want to know about our support...well, just look at the attendance figures.