[Today at 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hilarious quote from last night...  (Read 3634 times)

Wade for President

• All American
Hilarious quote from last night...
« on: January 16, 2007, 08:15:02 AM »
First of all, I LOVE the broadcasting trifecta of McDonough, Bilas and Raftery.  McDonough can cover any sport with ease, Bilas is incredibly knowledgeable (and loves MU), and who doesn't love "the kiss" or "Marquette...going...man-to-man".

Anyways, I couldn't stop laughing when the cameras kept on showing those weak chomper kids. 

Bilas says, "Gez...looks like those kids could use a little more paint."

Without missing a beat, McDonough chimes in with, "Yeah...and hit the weightroom."

Haven't heard many broadcasters make fun of a 'student section' before.  Priceless.

RawdogDX

• All American
Re: Hilarious quote from last night...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 08:18:59 AM »
That is hilarious.  I wish i would have heard that.

State

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 08:34:51 AM »
In addition to the 1st half comments, the announcers went back to the 'choppers' late in the second half.  Absolutely ruthless...for 'student spirit' week on ESPN--IMHO the announcers crossed the line.

We've got a great student section (kids camping out, waiting outside hours in the cold, etc.) but did anyone see the what the Kansas students have to go through for front row seats...lets put it this way--the Kansas team had to install free Wifi for the students in line as grades started to slip.  They had a piece about the waiting process during their game...I've never heard anything like it.

Botton line...if the kids are willing to put themselves through 3 days of sitting on the floor, spending the night outside or camping out for weeks to secure tickets...shame on the announcers for ripping them on national TV for needing to use a 'little too much body paint'.

Would the announcers ever attack a coaches 'physique' or for that matter 'tan' on TV...not a chance.  Leave the jokes to the crew on PTI!!

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 08:46:37 AM »
Hilarious.  Gotta love the kids showing up like that.  It was pretty funny.  If you are a kid painted up and shirtless, you are not going to care what the opinions of the play by play guys are as long as you get camera time.  Classic look on the face of one of the kids as he is shaking his head in disbelief that the Cardinals were going to end up on the losing side...hope he had some cold cream and a shirt in his bag for the long walk back to his dorm!!!

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 09:00:42 AM »
I will take so called crossing the line vs. Dukie V drooling over everything. I think it makes things more interesting for the fan who has no allegiance to either team. I think that announcers should do more of it. I certainly didn't mind Majerus's dollhouse speech either. Remember, it's only a game.

State

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 09:17:26 AM »
It takes belittling fans to make games more interesting?!?

I wonder if 'it's only a movie' will work for Borat in court. 

(Yes...I'm making something out of nothing but it just rubbed me the wrong way!!)

augoman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 02:48:40 PM »
I don't believe that the intent was to make fun of students' physiques, rather, as a continuation of the pre-game story done on the choppers; it was 'tongue in cheek', preceeded by comment that they "needed more paint".  It was vastly preferable to vitale's inane blathering. IMHO

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 04:45:30 PM »
suprised no one said this... my favorite was when they said

"I think we need to specify student spirit week, like student spirit week with a shirt on, or maybe send them to Gold's Gym a week before we come".... classic.

The way I see it, is those students came in body paint, they looked dumb, the announcers can make fun of them.  I mean honestly, 7 guys painted to look like a Cardinal is pretty weak
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 07:46:07 AM »
Man Law

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 02:14:36 AM »
SS Marquette