Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why we've been winning...  (Read 2766 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Why we've been winning...
« on: January 16, 2007, 07:51:18 AM »
"I knew it was my time to take over, that guys were depending on me to get them open shots and get the lead for the team."

-- Dominic James

When this guy brings this kind of attitude to the game with him, we win. It isn't just him by any means, but the entire team feeds off what he does - sounds like he has realized that, as it was noticeably absent a week or two ago. It translates to success especially on the defensive end. Good aggressive defense is where it all begins for MU.

To beat a dead horse, hopefully we don't have to hear anymore about how we can't play against a zone. Of course there will probably be nights when shots aren't falling when a zone will be effective, but that's true of any team. As far as MU goes, I frankly don't want to hear any more about zones, whether its a 2-3, a 1-3-1, or a bikini zone, MU's success or failure this season depends almost entirley on the attitude they bring on the floor and how hard or aggressively they play. Doesn't mean we'll win every game, but we can certainly play with anyone.

Unfortunately, one thing we probably will have to start talking about again however is the NBA as it relates to DJ.

Big Papi

• All American
Re: Why we've been winning...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 10:36:07 AM »
There is really nothing to talk about regarding Dom and the NBA.  Regardless of what the fans think, NBA scouts do see Dom as one of the better point guards in a very thin PG year.  Dom will be a first round pick if he declares and no one can fault him for saying yes to guaranteed money.  We might not want him to go because we have a legit chance of being a top 10 team next year but that has no bearing on Dom's decision.

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 10:52:09 AM »
Forgive the bias but I honestly think DJ's wallet would benefit with one more year under his belt. 

If this team stayed intact, he would substantially increase his market value with  an elite eight, final four or better in the '07-'08 season.  His performance in certain games this year has been outstanding for sure but there are several others (one and a half entire weeks ago) where he has not been NBA caliber, ie., stepping into a starting role as a rookie.  If I were his agent, I would make it very clear...DJ's stock will soar as his statistics became more consistent and he demonstrates an ability to deliver his team to the Elite 8, Final Four or Better! 

Does anyone have Noah's agent's phone number!!

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 11:25:08 AM »
One rather significant difference between Noah and Dominic...money! Noah's Father had a pretty professional sports career of his own. Me thinks they are probably doing just fine.

The answer is it all depends, if you are a sure top 10-15-ish pick, you would be a fool to come back and risk dropping the following year, leaving a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract on the table for a chance for a few extra bucks by moving into the top 5. One is guranteed, one is not.

I still suspect that he will end up on the upper end of that range. If so, it’s a no brainer. If he keeps dropping daggers from the 3-pt line as he has been, he's probably not going to have to wait to get into the top 5 - he'll already be there. 

BTW, you don't know that they won't find themselves in the Elite-8 this season. If the current level of play continues, why not? When you're hot your hot, and there are no guarantees once next season rolls around.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 11:27:09 AM »
One rather significant difference between Noah and Dominic...money! Noah's Father had a pretty good professional sports career of his own. Me thinks they are probably doing just fine.

The answer is it all depends, if you are a sure top 10-15-ish pick, you would be a fool to come back and risk dropping the following year, leaving a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract on the table for a chance for a few extra bucks by moving into the top 5. One is guranteed, one is not.

I still suspect that he will end up on the upper end of that range. If so, it’s a no brainer. If he keeps dropping daggers from the 3-pt line as he has been, he's probably not going to have to wait to get into the top 5 - he'll already be there. 

BTW, you don't know that they won't find themselves in the Elite-8 this season. If the current level of play continues, why not? When you're hot your hot, and there are no guarantees once next season rolls around.

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 11:49:46 AM »
I know it would be hard not to listen to an agent looking to make a quick score, scouts patting him on the back, opposing coaches flattering him to no end and telling him his is ready for the NBA (just to get him out of the way) and to some comments by Dickie V but I am certain he improves his stock with another year in the NCAA's...see also Jameer Nelson...

While the elite 8 ambitions, etc., for this season are legit for the Marquette TEAM... I am not certain DJ as an INDIVIDUAL is ready to step into a significant role on an NBA squad by 2007.  Sign a contract, yes but he should not be desperate to sign any 'ol NBA contract.  He's better than that and should expect to become a franchise player, not some two year and out kinda guy.  I would just hate to see the guy 'earning his minutes' in his first couple of years in the NBA.

Look, he waits a year, becomes one of the top three to four college players in the country and bamm - he starts for the Knicks in 2008!

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 11:54:08 AM »
Look, he waits a year, becomes one of the top three to four college players in the country and bamm - he starts for the Knicks in 2008!

That's not sweetening the deal. If ever there was a reason for him to come out after this year, that'd be it.

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 12:07:26 PM »
You are right...perhaps somebody should tell him he's bound for the Knicks if he comes out this year OR next year...he might think about getting his post graduate degree and then coming out!!! :D

feedback