[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Bob "Big Daddy" Wild
[Today at 08:40:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: buzz and homer  (Read 51900 times)

muole

• Starter
Re: buzz and homer
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2009, 05:02:39 PM »
it's because '06 obviously doesn't know what he's talking about

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2009, 05:04:07 PM »
8 people?????  Way more than 8 people.  This is way larger than the game right now.  Thats all anyone wants to talk about on the radio.  Thats all my friends want to talk about.  This was a huge mistake by Buzz no ifs ands or buts about it.  ANd I know where you are coming from but Buzz needs to apologize as soon as possible and get this attention back on the team and not his blowup.  

No, I'm not listening to the radio, and I would expect people to call in and discuss this. That's where the interview was conducted and I would expect people to discuss it there. Until it gets past the radio I don't really think it's a huge issue. If so many people are concerned about it I'm sure some MU PR personnel guy has already approached Buzz about it and for all we know it could be settled?

I can see we'll have to agree to disagree. I am merely calling for people to wait for an explanation from Buzz before calling for his head. If you guys want to send him to the gallows before even hearing his reasoning then I guess there's no point in me continuing this conversation.

Go Warriors. Big Win. Disappointed it had to be overshadowed by this... it's too bad we're all talking about this and not the brilliant full court press in the second half and amazing defensive effort by this team yet again.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2009, 05:06:31 PM »
go Buzz go

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2009, 05:08:25 PM »
Buzz admitted he handled the interview poorly in his post game conference. 

He's aware he made a mistake be it a misunderstanding or just lost his cool a second.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 05:11:34 PM by TallTitan34 »

muole

• Starter
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2009, 05:10:34 PM »
for the record i'm not calling for buzz's head.  i'm sure there was some kind of misunderstanding, and i'm sure this will blow over in a few days.  great win.  pack the bags for some road trips.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2009, 05:11:55 PM »
for the record i'm not calling for buzz's head.  i'm sure there was some kind of misunderstanding, and i'm sure this will blow over in a few days.  great win.  pack the bags for some road trips.

Some others were. I think it was blowing out of proportion and I agree, in a few days it will be over and done with... even after today I would be willing to bet

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2009, 05:14:56 PM »
Knowing Buzz he probably has already apoligized to Jimmy Mac ten times.

muole

• Starter
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2009, 05:16:09 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/38753667.html

here is another one '06.  this isn't going to be over by tomorrow. 

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2009, 05:17:56 PM »
MU / Panther is not a reliable source  ;) The guy has nothing else to do with his life lol.

But I will conceed that it will continue for a couple days. I just hope it doesn't overshadow the win and what these boys need to get done the next 3 games

muole

• Starter
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2009, 05:23:20 PM »
on that we can agree :D

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2009, 05:41:14 PM »
Pressue mounts for Buzz no doubt. But, it was behavior was way out of line. In my opinion this is why there should no no after game radio spots for coaches. Really all they can do is jag it up.

I like Buzz but I think there is much more than meets the eye. He has been around a long time and never really had climbed the ladder. Maybe we caught a glimpse of his dark side.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2009, 05:49:31 PM »
Not sure I call getting a major head coaching job at 35 "being around a long time."

Even being a HC at a low D1 school for a year can't prepare someone for this. I didn't hear it, but I'm willing give Buzz some slack.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2009, 05:55:54 PM »
Pressue mounts for Buzz no doubt. But, it was behavior was way out of line. In my opinion this is why there should no no after game radio spots for coaches. Really all they can do is jag it up.

I like Buzz but I think there is much more than meets the eye. He has been around a long time and never really had climbed the ladder. Maybe we caught a glimpse of his dark side.

send him to gitmo!
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2009, 06:03:02 PM »
Crazy like a fox. Remember, Buzz Ball is about the players. All I'm sayin.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2009, 06:17:23 PM »
Agree, crazy like a fox.  Takes the pressure off the players and the media focus off for a short time, worked like a charm for Ozzie Guillen when the White Sox won the world series in '05.  Go Buzz!

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2009, 06:19:41 PM »
Crazy like a fox. Remember, Buzz Ball is about the players. All I'm sayin.

Buzz' version of a fight with Bernard Toone?  I like it.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2009, 06:26:53 PM »
OK, I've read this whole thread. MU06, I didn't see anyone call for Buzz's head, just that he apologize. One thing I didn't see anyone mention: Buzz has only been at Marquette 2 years - any chance he doesn't realize that Mac is an ex-player? He probably does, but you never know.

I have to applaud Buzz for getting the team to 19-2, but does he have a little chip on his shoulder?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2009, 06:28:52 PM »
I have to applaud Buzz for getting the team to 19-2, but does he have a little chip on his shoulder?

I assume he does, as his team clearly does, and it has translated into a lot of wins.

g0ldmember42

• Starter
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2009, 06:29:48 PM »
It was weird. Kept waiting for him to stop and be like "....nah I'm just messing with you Mac..." never happened. Chalk it up to misunderstanding. This is Buzz Williams we're talking about..... not you know who (and by you know who, I mean the guy that was wearing the t-shirt today while his team lost to Ohio State at home on ESPN2).....

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2009, 06:36:54 PM »
(and by you know who, I mean the guy that was wearing the t-shirt today while his team lost to Ohio State at home on ESPN2).....

At the risk of hijacking this tread...thank you for mentioning this, as I was complaining about this at the bar after the game. He did the same thing at MU on 'sneaker day'...is he really above wearing sneakers with a suit? Doesn't  that kind of fly in the face of the whole thing? I am a guy who takes some pride in clothes he wears, and I try to look my best, but really?!?!?!? Are you serious?!?!?! You can't wear sneakers with a suit for one game???

The breath of fresh air that is Buzz Williams, seems to get fresher every day.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
Buzz interview...
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2009, 06:44:05 PM »
I listened to the post game and heard the entire interview.  I was surpirsed Buzz reacted the way he did but it was clear that BUzz misinterpreted the question, it is clear the two weeks of media ripping on Mu for not being deserving of their ranking and being untested etc. has him po'd and then thought Jimmy Mac was piling on.  He may have also been upset about him looking ahead when Buzz is so focus on ThIS day.  Either way Buzz could have handled it better but I am more than happy to give the guy a break, I have always asked the parents of my players to give me at least half an hour after a game before confronting me, the emotions and adrenaline are still at a high level and I know it is not the best time and things can be misconstrued. 

But the really funny thing i get out of all this is the following...there has been many Crean versus Buzz threads.  And person afetr person have defended one of the biggest a-holes ever under employment at MU, beacuse he was good for the program.  Yet Buzz gets upset one time on the radio and people want to rip Him?  wow what a double standard.  Seems to me the Crean lover should not care about how Buzz handles people becuase he is improving the program.  hypocrites

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2009, 06:49:03 PM »
Someone just posted the interview verbatim on a Facebook MU page:

Jim McIlvaine:
Coach, you've got an 11-game winning streak, 8-0 in the Big East. Obviously the number, the ranking is going down. How do you keep the kids focused and not buying into the hype, and all the ancillary stuff on the outside? How do you get them focused for the next game?

Buzz Williams:
Well, I appreciate what you said Mac. And I know you played here and had a lot of success here. We pay absolutely no attention to anything said by the media, said within the media. And I'm not trying to be condescending, but I don't think you win 11 straight games, eight straight games in the Big East, if you're focusing on the wrong things. And so I'm somewhat offended that you would even ask that. Because what you should talk about is the character and the heart of our players. That's what should be talked about, talking about how we focus for the next game. Why don't you talk about, Mac, how we focused on this game. And why don't you talk about how we focused on every single Big East game. And for you as the home team radio announcer to be asking some sort of question like that, it sounds like you're employed by someone other than Marquette. That's disappointing that you would ask that, being that you're a former player. You should be as proud of the collection of 12 guys that put on the uniform and that absolutely play their heart out at 6-6 and under against great teams on a nightly basis.

Jim McIlvaine:
I'm extremely proud of the guys, coach. I'm just asking if there's anything that you do as a coach to just keep these guys focused. Obviously you're doing a great job of it. I was wondering if there was anything to it.

Buzz Williams:
We'll do the same thing, Mac, that we've done every single day in the 296 days that I've been employed. That's wake up early, that's go to work, and work as long as we can until our eyes fall asleep. That's what we do. That's what we do every day, whether that's in the season or out of the season, non-conference or conference.
SS Marquette

mviale

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2009, 06:53:53 PM »
what a bunch of sissies - that conversation is bothering you? Maybe its because I grew up in philadelphia, but this is nothing to get upset about.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2009, 06:56:26 PM »
Apparently Mviale is able to interpret tone through simple text. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2009, 07:00:28 PM »
"The most important thing to our program is our players," Williams said. "I'm grateful for the opportunity I've been given, but this program is not about Buzz Williams; this program is about our players."

-- Buzz Williams - 4/7/2008

Repeated using different words on 1/31/2009. Issue closed!

feedback