[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What makes a good rivalry?  (Read 1499 times)

lurch91

• All American
What makes a good rivalry?
« on: January 28, 2009, 10:50:07 AM »
After reading the MU-ND Rivalry thread in the Hanging at the Al forum, I was thinking about what makes a good rivalry.  Here are some components of a good/great rivalry, tell me what you all think.

1)  It MUST be competitive.  The rivalry should have close games.  Streaks are possible, but if one team wins too often it becomes lopsided.  Lopsided rivalries only hold importance to the loosing team, the winning team will stop seeing it as a rivalry.

2)  The coaches/team must take it personally.  When I was in school, the KO story about Bucky T'ing him up after he was ejected from a game in Madison was priceless, and to the students that incident took the game to another level.  Same can be said for Deane dancing on the floor in Louisville.  Jarrad Odle, who was the starting power forward on the IU Final Four team a few years back, had ALWAYS wanted to go to Purdue.  During his recruitment before he committed to Purdue, Bobby Knight asked him to just come to Bloomington for a visit and if he didn't like IU he could always go to Purdue.  Keady found out about the visit and told Odle he didn't want anyone on his team that would even consider playing for Bobby Knight at IU.  NOW THAT'S A RIVALRY!  If the coaches don't show the game's important the fans wont.

3)  The fans take it to the next level.  If the fans don't match the teams intensity, then the rivalry will go unnoticed and will flame out.  The fans will stoke the flames of the rivalry for years to come.  I hate to use another Indiana reference, but Wabash and DePauw are two small Indiana colleges that just plain HATE each other.  It's an intense rivalry in every sport they play against each other.  In playing for the Monon Bell during football season, the schools have tried to steal the bell back after loosing it.  Sports Illustrated even named one of the pranks to steal the bell one of the five greatest all-time rivalry pranks (December 12, 2005, p. 36). You can read more about the rivalry here.  There was also a prank played by Maryland on the Duke Cameron Crazies.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 07:36:57 AM by lurch91 »

Keelsmeals

• Walk-On
Re: What makes a good rivalry?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 07:58:48 PM »
+1 for even knowing about Wabash College, let alone Monon Bell. That is one insane rivalry!

I would add that in order for a rivalry to exist, there first needs to be strong school pride and identification with the team/college. Fans need to be "emotionally invested" in their institution's success (whether in sports or otherwise) in order for fans to take it personally and then take it to the next level.

feedback