Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why wouldn't we win tonight?  (Read 3579 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Why wouldn't we win tonight?
« on: January 15, 2007, 09:07:43 AM »
Other than home court (which perhaps is enough), I can find no compelling reason we shouldn't win this game. UL has had a nice win over Providence, but they have done little else thus far this season. They have lost at home to UMass, Kentucky and Arizona. Match-up-wise I don't see any issues. If it comes down to our guards against their guards, I'll take our guards. They can shoot 3's, but we can also defend them. If we truly have righted the ship, I think we're simply the better team. Of course the better team doesn't always win conference road games, and I suppose FT's are a bit of a concern, but I like our chances tonight.

Straighten me out if you must.

MU71

• Scholarship Player
Re: Why wouldn't we win tonight?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 09:25:16 AM »
Only the home court advantage.  Other than that we match up great against them and they play the brand of ball we best compete against.  I see no reason that we can't win but wouldn't predict it solely because of the homecourt - often enough in college basketball.  (BTW - look at our other discussion.  I stand corrected about whether we've turned the corner - almost!)

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 09:31:52 AM »
I worry a bit about the 2-3 zone Louisville deploys.  I hope we do better than against Syracuse's or Providence's. 

The betting line is Louisville by 3.  I would take MU and the points. 

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 09:33:37 AM »
I am not superstitious but one reason why we wouldn't win is that I haven't seen the hex put on Lousiville yet!   ;D

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 09:34:09 AM »
(BTW - look at our other discussion.  I stand corrected about whether we've turned the corner - almost!)

I know, I saw that. I just had to give you a hard time. Tonight should probably tell the story. I expect to see nothing but max effort and agressiveness from MU, and UL is playing primarily a 2-3 these days, so this could really be the test. Not that we even need to win the game necessarily - I suppose the other team does get a say in that, but if we play hard and attack  as opposed to sort of going into a shell as we did against Providence and Syracuse, then as far as MU is concerned it should serve to convince that it is about how they play, not what they play. It will all begin and end on the defensive end as is typical.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 10:48:54 AM »
If the evil, shoots-worse-than-Dick-Cheney-on-a-bird-hunting-trip team shows up, we will lose.   Conference road games are always a roll of the dice.   And finally, we are expecting them to do well, so they will tank.    All possible reasons they won't win tonight.   I have a good feeling, however.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 11:07:34 AM »
this team seems to play better when everyone on the message board posts negative stuff about them.  think back to when everyone was positive, we lost to providence and cuse, then we go negative and win against 2 ranked teams.  so i think for the teams sake, we must continue to be negative.  I'll go first, Tom Crean is a terrible coach and our guards are horrible shooters.  who is next?

fyi... sarcasm above.  GO MU
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 11:30:39 AM »
This is going to be a very tough game. A huge game for UL, they can get out to 3-1 in the conference with a win. Always tough to play Saturday/Monday, especially if you have to be the team travelling. Calhoun hates the Sat/Mon game setup.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 11:32:57 AM »
Nice comment about the "Dick Cheney" shooting...we don't need THAT team to show up.  As long as the turnover forcing, fast breaking, attacking Warriors show up tonight, we'll be fine.  That, and defending the 3-ball. 
And, please Pitino, TRY to press us, PLEASE, I would love to see 'Ville play uptempo with us, it might open up some easy buckets for Burke, Hayward, and the Ooze.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 01:05:56 PM »
I would say that if MU shoots well (jumpers and 3pters) they will win. If they shoot like garbage... it's up in the air. (I know that is not terribly profound).

In all of the losses MU has shot HORRIBLY.

The energy levels have varied a little bit and people have talked about "playing down to the competition", but I would say that shooting really stands out as the main reason for all of the MU losses. 

I don't think the MU offense is really effective against a 2-3 zone because MU depends so much on the drive and kick and drive and dish... but, if they could have made 2 or 3 more 3pters in any of the losses, they could have won those games.

Therefore, I think the offense is effective enough to win, they just need to knock down some more of the open looks (they have been able to get open, they just haven't been able to make the shots).

I would put a good shooting MU team up against most teams in the country, no matter what defense they employ.

Good shooting opens up everything for MU both offensively and defensively (pressing and trapping become more viable option when you make baskets)

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 01:54:56 PM »
I think its funny when the paper says that Marquette has been winning because they are not taking "too many 3s".  The truth is you have to try to take what the defense gives you.  UConn played us man to man and that is easier to drive on and get in the lane.  WVirginia played a zone trap which is a zone that gambles a lot leaving opennings to get inside.  Plus they turned the ball over a lot leading to fast breaks.  If a team is going to sit back in a 2-3 zone and you have a limited post game (as we do) you are pretty much going to have to shoot over it and you might as well get 3 points for your shot.  The problem is you've got to make um but I don't see not taking them as an option.  Now I don't think that Louisville is going to be content to just sit in a 2-3 zone and that lack of patience gives us our best chance.  But trust me we have not "turned the corner" until we are able to bury a team that chooses to sit in the 2-3 and dare us to shoot from outside.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 04:03:11 PM »
so if looville goes 4 guards, who starts?
looks like Jerry Smith is getting some notice.
always liked his game.

State

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 05:10:38 PM »
I haven't seen UL play either...but nothing on 'paper' really stands out.

It looks to be a very balanced offense with Williams getting the brunt of PT (hence points, rebounds, assist).

No reason we shouldn't win...I take that back--Freedom Hall.  Went down a couple of years ago for a game...intimidating place to watch a game let alone play!!

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 06:51:59 PM »
looking pretty good so far.
up by three at half

feedback