'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why did Buzz pull Otule back to the Bench?  (Read 5605 times)

strobl2

• Starter
Why did Buzz pull Otule back to the Bench?
« on: January 26, 2009, 06:48:42 PM »
I don't know if anyone else saw this, but I was getting a little bit excited because Otule got up and was heading towards half court to go into the game. Then Buzz told him to come back, and he put in Jimmy Butler.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Re: Why did Buzz pull Otule back to the Bench?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 06:51:05 PM »
I would have liked to have seen him against Shrek - or "gody" as digger calls him!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 06:53:17 PM »
I think we'll see him for a good 7 minutes or so in the second half and then the rest of the game after Burke fouls out. I am NOT liking this foul trouble, but we need a big body to throw on Harangody

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 06:58:25 PM »
I think we'll see him for a good 7 minutes or so in the second half and then the rest of the game after Burke fouls out. I am NOT liking this foul trouble, but we need a big body to throw on Harangody

Agreed.  I think Buzz will be forced to play him.  ND will get all the calls down the stretch!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 07:01:10 PM »
Because the best likely outcome with OToule in there would have been 2 FTs for Gody.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 07:09:23 PM »
I'm very interested as to why those two aren't playing more.  There seems to be no reason, other than lack of perceived production, that O'tule doesn't play, and I'm wondering if it's the same for Fulce or if Fulce's lack of playing time is due to injury.  I keep thinking that the reporters have had to of asked Buzz, but I have seen a definitive answer anywhere.   Buzz seems tough on the freshmen, and it seems to really bother him that they missed so much of the start of the season.

strobl2

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 07:20:14 PM »
Because the best likely outcome with OToule in there would have been 2 FTs for Gody.

Would you rather have that be Hazel's 4th foul/ Burke's 3rd, or otule's 1st. The same thing is happening with the other two so why not throw otule in there to bang around as well.

Hey DeDe

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 07:24:09 PM »
Otule is too inconsistent of a player to be put in the game so early. He is very inexperienced and it shows when he gets on the court. We can't rely on him until he gets more confident. I think its better if he sits this one out.

strobl2

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 07:25:24 PM »
I don't know but I think he will have to be put in if we get in to a little more foul trouble.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 07:42:25 PM »
I'm very interested as to why those two aren't playing more.  

Its prolly because right now they aren't very good basketball players.  Both are horrible on the defensive end.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 07:58:49 PM »
Get Riley this weekend.  The Otule/Fulce project is not going to work.  Something is wrong here, don't know what, but no more excuses.  Great win with four guards tonight, but that won't continue with three amigos leaving.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 09:48:18 PM »
Get Riley this weekend.  The Otule/Fulce project is not going to work.  Something is wrong here, don't know what, but no more excuses.  Great win with four guards tonight, but that won't continue with three amigos leaving.

Agreed. I would not be suprised to see a shuffle in the off season.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 09:54:11 PM »
"Why did Buzz pull Otule back to the bench?"

Because he wanted to win the game.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 09:56:01 PM »
Actually Otule was on his way to get Buzz some sweet tea, but Williams decided he really wasn't thristy.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 09:59:34 PM »
I'm very interested as to why those two aren't playing more.  There seems to be no reason, other than lack of perceived production, that O'tule doesn't play, and I'm wondering if it's the same for Fulce or if Fulce's lack of playing time is due to injury.  I keep thinking that the reporters have had to of asked Buzz, but I have seen a definitive answer anywhere.   Buzz seems tough on the freshmen, and it seems to really bother him that they missed so much of the start of the season.

Buzz has spoken on this on numerous occasions in depth.  In a nutshell he said they are in October to Novemer form due to the injuries and are simply not ready yet.  If you watch Otule in the Depaul game it is obvious. 

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 10:04:57 PM »
Haragody was simply too quick for Burke, Hazel, or Otule... it would have been comical to have seen Otule trying to guard Shrek.

Buzz's call to have Zar and Wes switch off on Goaty was the in game decision that won us the game and its one that I doubt Crean would have ever done.

I also doubt Crean would have had the balls to have Acker face guard Kyle McAlarney for almost the entire game. That was another in game decision that paid off big time (at first he had James and McNeal switching on him) Putting in Acker to run around all night in his face saved energy for McNeal and James down the stretch. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:09:50 PM by SCdem@MU »

mviale

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 10:09:04 PM »

They will get PT next year, we are trying to win this year.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 10:12:45 PM »
We only got points from four players tonight. right?

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 10:24:30 PM »
I heard that Otule thought he saw Jonathan Xavier walking out of the stands but Buzz pulled him back!  Otule threw off his warmup so he would have full range of motion to protect his teammates!

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 10:34:58 PM »

Agreed. I would not be suprised to see a shuffle in the off season.

Are you two serious?

Do you realize how much time they've missed?  This isnt High School or Tyler Junior College...its the Big East. You cant have two newcomers miss the first half of the season with LEG/FOOT injuries, and expect them to be ready to go come time to play in the toughest conf. in America.

I trust Buzz...if either of them were ready to go, they would play...but to give up on them already? Cmon now...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 10:44:54 PM »
I would like to see Otule and Fulce play more, but as long as we are winning I cannot really complain about it. However, based on their playing time so far Buzz should have red shirted Fulce and applied for a medical redshirt for Otule.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 10:52:44 PM »
18-2 and ranked 8th in the country and we have people whining about the playing time of guys on our bench who have been hurt most of the year......... ::)

Absolutely amazing.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 10:56:24 PM »
I don't get the Fulce situation and I don't think it would be bad to scrap him.  I am saying this not REALLY knowing the situation.  From my understanding, he has some injury that will not get better or worse and he will have to play through the pain.  Isn't this a situation that the players lie and tell their coach that they feel fine?  It seems like if he can't play with the pain now, (from my understanding) he never will.  If this is the case, why keep him?
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

mviale

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 11:06:45 PM »
I would like to see Otule and Fulce play more, but as long as we are winning I cannot really complain about it. However, based on their playing time so far Buzz should have red shirted Fulce and applied for a medical redshirt for Otule.

With Buzz recruiting, you dont do that as you want to reload.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 07:26:29 AM »
I don't get the Fulce situation and I don't think it would be bad to scrap him.  I am saying this not REALLY knowing the situation.  From my understanding, he has some injury that will not get better or worse and he will have to play through the pain.  Isn't this a situation that the players lie and tell their coach that they feel fine?  It seems like if he can't play with the pain now, (from my understanding) he never will.  If this is the case, why keep him?

I think this pretty well covers it.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.