[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Glass half empty/Glass half full?  (Read 1184 times)

Wade for President

• All American
Glass half empty/Glass half full?
« on: January 25, 2009, 03:06:26 PM »
With every subsequent Wisconsin and Tennessee loss (not to mention NC State losing 5 of their last 6), I get a little more concerned about our upcoming schedule.

Wisconsin is proving to be an average team, and Tenn has lost 3 home games since we played them (not including a narrow 2 point home win against Belmont).

The polls are all fine and dandy, but come Selection Sunday, RPI rankings are the largest determinant.  With our "quality wins" becoming less and less impressive (not to mention a close loss to a Tenn team that is drastically underachieving), I just hope this team can win some big games down the stretch.

I love the way we're playing and don't want to be Debbie Downer...simply hope our shortcomings won't come to burn us the next month and a half.

Obviously a big road win Monday night will go a long way to making me feel more comfortable and realistic about our squad.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 03:08:19 PM by Wade for President »

bilsu

• All American
Re: Glass half empty/Glass half full?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 03:15:45 PM »
UW was a good win at the time. The problem with UW and Tenn are that they are not improving and other teams are passing them by. That is what happen to North Carolina also. They were so dominant in the beginning, but other teams are catching up and passing them up. However, in their case they should be able to right the ship as the two losses should refocus the NC players. MU has been improving and that is why we have won 9 straight.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 04:14:33 PM »
I hear what you are saying about UW and Tenn. but they will to a degree be inconsequential after we have played 34 games or so.  Ok we lost to Tenn it is not like that will be judged like losing to Lipscomb and beating at middle of the road B11 is not detrimental.  Unless we finish 0-13 over the next 6 weeks we will ahve beaten some more big time teams and will have as impressive a resume as we need.  Also, Conference standing also seems to be areally big factor. ie If for example we finish 3rd and Loiusville finishes first and is a 2 seed and Uconn finishes second and is a 2 seed and syracuse finishes 4th and is a 4 seed.  chances are we will be a 2-3-4 seed regardless of what our rpi is anyway.  seems the seeding really falls in line with conference finish. 

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 04:18:34 PM »
Get the 4th seed in this years BE and we are just fine come NCAA time.

MonsterWebWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 04:24:11 PM »
I don't think I'm as worried as much anymore about the strength of those 2 teams.  Yeah, it would look better if they won a lot, but I think in the end our conference record will speak plenty loud.  If we continue to win the games we're supposed to win, pull off an upset or two down the stretch, finish near the top of one of the best conferences in history, then the strength of Wisconsin and/or Tennessee will be almost meaningless to the tourney committee.  18 games in the Big East should plainly tell the tourney committee whether a team is worthy of inclusion and what seed they should get in the tourney.  It's not like we're playing in C-USA anymore and need quality wins elsewhere.  If you're good, you'll get them in conference.

Of course, if we start to lose a few games here, then we may need Wisconsin to help boost our "quality wins" total.  So here's to not losing any time soon!
"We need to get back to eating hamburgers."  - Buzz Williams