[Today at 09:44:26 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[June 17, 2024, 08:36:32 PM]

Miletic Commits by Pakuni
[June 17, 2024, 04:37:03 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by The Equalizer
[June 17, 2024, 12:55:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Riley  (Read 6086 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Riley
« on: January 21, 2009, 04:19:06 PM »
DeShonte Riley will be @ MU this weekend.

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: Riley
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 09:10:20 PM »
hopefully a good game to see. although unless Buzz is absolutely sure someone is not coming back next year, I don't want to see a LOI signed by anyone else this year.

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 09:15:20 PM »
I would take Riley for sure, goodbye Cubillan? Hazel? We are still actively recruiting for next year, would not be shocked if a transfer is coming.
Tradition Never Graduates..

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 09:24:24 PM »
I would take Riley for sure, goodbye Cubillan? Hazel? We are still actively recruiting for next year, would not be shocked if a transfer is coming.

As long as it's known that one is possible or fairly certain I'm ok with it. I just don't want the speculation to start flying or team chemistry to possibly be upset by another signing without knowing someone else is either not going to qualify or a current player is on his way out.  He's a very good player by all accounts and would definitely bolster this already very good recruiting class but I don't want MU to get ahead of itself with this.

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 09:47:39 PM »
If Crean was still here, it would be absolutely foolish to try to oversign and force one of his current players off the roster.  Established coaches don't play with poison like that because of the future harm it would cause for the reputation of the program.  However, because this is Buzz's first year, I have no problem with him continuing to recruit and the possibility of oversigning.  This is essentially his only chance to do it; that is go after another player that has a chance to be a contributor as a freshman, even if that means that one of our role players and former coach's recruits has to be ushered out.

If you're a high major D1 coach, you absolutely shouldn't make a habit of looking to oversign, but Buzz's situation could be an exception.  I think we will see it happen this Spring, and sign me up for Riley in a heartbeat.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 10:03:24 PM »
I really hoped this practice would end with Crean's departure.  It just smacks of unethical to me.  Did anyone ever see that movie "One on One" with Robby Benson (see link below)?  That is what this reminds me of (good movie, by the way).  I sure hope Buzz knows something we don't.

Please don't make this into an "I Hate Buzz" routine.  I just get nervous when I see something that can be construed as unethical.

- Dano'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076500/

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 10:11:01 PM by MarquetteDano »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 10:46:48 PM »
A few weeks ago Buzz said on Homer's show that he will recruit 365.  He rattled off a tons reason: grades, injuries, transfers etc etc etc.  He was very, very upfront about it.  It doesn't make it all better in my eyes but he was very upfront, which I sort of appreciate.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 10:46:55 PM »
I don't care for the practice, but unfortunately, that's the college world we live in today. Players come and go early, coaches come and go too. I mean, with Acker having enough credits to graduate, who's to say he hasn't told coach he's done? WHo's to say that someone else has give coach that heads-up? What if Lazar and MU just go nuts for the rest of the year and he comes out? Crazier things have happened.

Bottom line: if someone bolts and Buzz has a scholarship to give and he's not prepared, he'll get hammered by the fans (many on this board), but more importantly, it could set MU back a season and nobody wants that.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 10:54:01 PM »
Kids can only take 5 official visits, so there's no way someone as coveted as Riley would waste a visit on a school that may or may not have a scholarship available. Don't know who's leaving, but if he's visiting rest assured that someone is definitely transferring.

wheresthecake?

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 11:06:25 PM »
I think it's also good motivation to the current team.  Since Buzz is being so public about his continued recruiting, if I were Cubillan or Hazel or anybody else coming back next year not named Lazar, I would be worried about losing my spot and be busting my a$$ everyday in practice and every minute I get in games.  Hopefully they do it anyways, but you never know, maybe Buzz is squeezing every ounce of effort he can out of his players along with trying to improve his future teams.  Just a thought.

Buzz4Prez

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 11:10:08 PM »
I think it's also good motivation to the current team.  Since Buzz is being so public about his continued recruiting, if I were Cubillan or Hazel or anybody else coming back next year not named Lazar, I would be worried about losing my spot and be busting my a$$ everyday in practice and every minute I get in games.  Hopefully they do it anyways, but you never know, maybe Buzz is squeezing every ounce of effort he can out of his players along with trying to improve his future teams.  Just a thought.

While I can see how this would motivate people, I would be extremely pissed if Buzz was doing that, I also don't think it would bode well for Buzz to do that. You can't offer kids schollies and then hold it over there heads, I feel if you offer someone a scholarship you agree to have them on your team for four years, wether they flop or not. I think the only way they should be let out of it is if it is a mutual agreement or if the player violates rules. I dont think a coach should just be able to drop a player because they have a better one in the wings... its not right but I know it happens

MUONTOP

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 11:16:48 PM »
From all indications Buzz seems to be a very up front no nonsense type of guy.  I would assume that when he continues to recruit he isn't lying to recruits, they are well aware of the current commitments and scholarship situation and I'm sure Buzz makes it very clear how he sees it working out.  Potentially we could have kids commiting without necessarily taking a scholarship or waiting for one to open up, if the program continues to be successful and the right student-athletes want to be here and commit to the program the better we are.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 11:50:26 PM »
Nobody can sign a LOI until April so by that time it will be well known if somebody is leaving or not.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 11:52:53 PM »
Nobody can sign a LOI until April so by that time it will be well known if somebody is leaving or not.

good to know. If he would give a verbal, I knew it wasn't binding until he signed his LOI so I had no worry of that. I just don't want Buzz to potentially get the rep of over-recruiting or forcing guys out.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 12:11:16 AM »
Don't forget, this was what some rumored to be happening with Jamil Wilson months ago. That he didn't sign anywhere because he's keeping his options open for MU in the spring should an opening occur.

I don't think it's going to happen, but that was the thinking. Guys have until April now to sign so...by April 1 we'll all know who's coming next year (barring graduation of course).

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 05:51:42 AM »
I heard Frozena is looking at Miami-Dade community college next year...although he'll probably wait until the last possible minute to tell the team of his decision.  ;)

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 09:43:11 AM »
In Hoop Dreams, when O'Neill was recruiting William Gates, he told him that while scholarships are only good for 1 year, any respectable school that recruits a kid is really offering a 4-year offer as the scholarships will auto renew.  I think of this whenever a kid on scholarship is "pushed" to transfer.  As with others, I hope Buzz isn't employing the strategy that Crean used.  If a coach recruits a kid, he should recruit him for 4 years.  Not push him out if he doesn't live up to expectations.  Hopefully, that's not what's happening here. I want MU to win, but not at all costs.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 12:07:45 PM »
1st year coach gets wiggle room in losing kids. If the kid has the power to transfer the coach should have the same power. Not one for turning kids out in the cold but any 1st year coach should be allowed to weed out the stiffs. Need to lose two and then we have DREAM recruiting class.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 12:33:27 PM »
1st year coach gets wiggle room in losing kids. If the kid has the power to transfer the coach should have the same power. Not one for turning kids out in the cold but any 1st year coach should be allowed to weed out the stiffs. Need to lose two and then we have DREAM recruiting class.

That is excatly right!!!  we have poster on this board that claim they are holding out judgement until year 3 on Buzz,  yet will hold judgement on the coach even if he is forced to deal with the old coaches players.  Apart from LAzar Crean did not sign a Big East quality player since the 3 amigos.  You cant hold a coach to a standard and then force him to play with substandard ingredients.  There are a couple of players on this squad that can honestly be told..."hey love you as aperson love the effort you have given and we would love you to stay and graduate from this University if it is waht you want to do but it will not be as a scholarship player.  I cannot see you playing at all for us going forward and if you do want to get playing time I will do everything in my power and thruogh my contacts to get you set up at another program".... If the kid wants playing time he can work with Buzz to get set up with someone who needs that players type of talents or maybe the player wants to stay on the team and with the school and can afford to pay the tuition. 
Oneill is correctin what he said, however, the game changes alittle when it is a different coach, he needs to win to keep his job the coach knows that, the players know that and the adminisatration knows that.  Additonally as far as sitting in a recruits living room, if that question comes up the simple and truthful answer is " id di not recruit that kid, I did not sign that kid and I never would have offered the kid, it was in everyones best interests that he went somewhere else he was never going to play and he wanted to play"  Pretty simple...99.99% of transfers are due to playing time...that number was a little different at MU under the past regime but normally holds true and usually is intiated by the player not the coach.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 12:35:59 PM »
Just a question:  are academic scholarships given with some expectation of academic performance?  In other words, does someone who gets an academic scholarship lose it if he performs poorly academically (say a 1.5 GPA) in a given year or semester?

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 12:47:22 PM »
Just a question:  are academic scholarships given with some expectation of academic performance?  In other words, does someone who gets an academic scholarship lose it if he performs poorly academically (say a 1.5 GPA) in a given year or semester?

from what I know if you have an academic scholarship and are below the gpa required to keep it, you are put on probation for a semester then if the grades haven't gotten back to where they are supposed to be, yes you lose it.  I am not entirely sure about this as I haven't had any scholarships while at MU that require a certain gpa.

jce

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 12:50:45 PM »

Yes.  Most academic scholarships require you to maintain full time enrollment and a GPA requirement.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 12:55:23 PM »

Yes.  If you do poorly you get a letter stating that you are on probation and must achieve a specific GPA the next semester.  You have the option of appealing the probation with whatever college you are in.  If you perform poorly during a semester in which you are on probation, then you get a letter saying you are losing your scholarship because you are "not making significant progress" towards a degree.  Assuming your GPA was bad, but not bad enough for expulsion, they'll let you stay in school if you can pay.  Once again, you get to appeal to try to keep the scholarship.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 01:00:21 PM »
Then why should an athlete who doesn't perform as expected keep his scholarship?  Should be year-to-year in my book.   Basically if you are a borderline BE talent and you come to a program like MU, should not expect to be here 4 years unless you really improve.    There are some on the team who were borderline when they came and have deteriorated since they have been here.  what is wrong with weeding them out?

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 02:03:53 PM »
Then why should an athlete who doesn't perform as expected keep his scholarship?  Should be year-to-year in my book.   Basically if you are a borderline BE talent and you come to a program like MU, should not expect to be here 4 years unless you really improve.    There are some on the team who were borderline when they came and have deteriorated since they have been here.  what is wrong with weeding them out?

Its kind of tough to compare the two situations.  Each student's schoolwork is not dependent on anyone else.  Do the work and get the grades.  However, players aren't exactly in the same situation.  If there are better players than you playing ahead of you what are you supposed to do?  All 13 guys on the roster can't get huge minutes each season.  In an ideal world, all those guys would be underclassmen but it doesn't always work that way.  Coaches are taking a risk on recruiting players but they have had the chance to observe them for several years.  I don't think scholarships should be taken away, even if guys underperform or a new coach comes on board (the coaches know what they're getting into when they take the job).  Coaches can make it clear that they don't see the kid getting a lot of pt but I don't think they should try to push them out the door.