Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Nice win by MU...back on track  (Read 3859 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Nice win by MU...back on track
« on: January 13, 2007, 01:09:06 PM »
I had us 2-4 to start the season and still think that is very possible, but this team appears back on track.

Nice job by the players and coaches.  Let's steal one on Monday at Louisville who is playing very well right now.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Nice win by MU...back on track
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 01:19:59 PM »
Hmm...thread like this: http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=1053.0

Less than a week ago...seem really silly now!  Glad the team has been able to pick it up, hits some shots, and play with the energy they need - in order to win.

Now, lets go get our winning streak at freedom hall started again!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 01:26:27 PM »
Hmm...thread like this: http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=1053.0

Less than a week ago...seem really silly now!  Glad the team has been able to pick it up, hits some shots, and play with the energy they need - in order to win.

Now, lets go get our winning streak at freedom hall started again!

Yup, the absolutely do.  Of course the title of that thread last week also says it all...."this team is awful...right now"

Fortunately "right now" back then is different then "right now" today.  They're defensive hustle and pressure has turned the tide to mask over our weaknesses (shooting the ball). 

The next two will be very difficult.  I would be ecstatic for a split.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 01:28:17 PM »
Yup, not picking on anyone.  Just reminds me how ridiculous I can be too :)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 01:33:19 PM »
Yup, not picking on anyone.  Just reminds me how ridiculous I can be too :)

I know you're not picking on anyone.  We all get frustrated at losses.  There are a few people here, however, that take on grudges for years.  Anyone seen Harrison yet in the past 3 days...hmm, wonder why.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 02:01:37 PM »
I feel like an absolute clown for getting down on the team like I did. Sorry to all concerned.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 02:10:42 PM »
This game certainly served to reinforce my feelings and sentiment from the past week or so relative to palying against zone vs. mtm, etc. Its not completely irrelevant, but its not what you play against, its how you play. With this team (especially a certain PG who will remain nameless, but has the initials DJ, and wears a number that is less than 2), it is all upstairs. If they bring the energy, intensity and proper mentality onto the floor, they can beat anyone.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 02:13:32 PM by NaivinRJohnson »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 02:21:52 PM »
Decent defense by Fitz, aina?
Ludum habemus.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 02:31:46 PM »
[The next two will be very difficult.  I would be ecstatic for a split.

I too would be thrilled to come out 3-3. These will be two very tough games, but I actually do think they are pretty good match-ups for us. I expect competitive games, and I think we have a shot against both teams. Much the way we never gave into the Huggins/UC shtik even before Tom Crean got here, we just don't allow these two teams dictate anything to us with their pressure, or rough and tumble style as so many other teams do. It many ways it plays right into our hands, because it ends up frustrating them, not the other way around.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 08:57:16 AM »
I had us 4-2----but looks like 3-3 now.

The key to the Louisville game will be trey shooting-----Louisville is tough to beat when they are over 40% on trey shooting----MU on the otherhand when playing hard (ala Duke & WVU) is capable of beating most anyone if we're hitting our treys!

mviale

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 11:23:27 AM »
agreed, this team is more ready to play a louisville game than in recent years.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »
Yep, great game yesterday.

I think McSteal and Wes are back to 100% (or close to it), and when the teams makes jumpers, EVERYTHING gets easier.

- Defense gets easier because teams can't rebond and fast break against MU
- Driving the lane gets easier because teams have to honor the jumper
- The flow of the game gets better because MU can keep runs going and stop opposing teams runs by making a shot (ie "getting over the hump" or extending a lead)
- Good shooting can be contagious... not sure if there is a scientific support, but anybody who has played sports knows that when one player starts to gain confidence it can carry over to a whole team.

I still want to see them play well against a 2-3 and not just a 1-3-1, but I liked the recognition, confidence and shot selection yesterday. If they are able to knock down jumpers like that, I don't think a 2-3 will be as devistating as it has been previously.

I know it is not the most profound observation, but when this team shoots well, they are one of the better teams in the country (top ten). When they don't shoot well, obviously they struggle, but they aren't sunk. They play tough on the defensive end, and in each of their losses they had a realistic chance to "get over the hump" if they could have strung together a couple of offensive possesions. The problem is, they shot so poorly in the losses that they couldn't get anything going.

I don't know if everybody is going to continue the hot shooting, but if they shoot decent from here on out (35%+ from 3 as a team), they will very tough especially come tourny time.

Enjoy it everybody.

feedback