Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A Take On Our Conference Schedule  (Read 4064 times)

HoopsMalone

• All American
A Take On Our Conference Schedule
« on: January 19, 2009, 03:44:23 PM »
I love the way the Big East Scheduled Marquette's games this year.  There are ten really good teams, and Marquette could have legitimately finished anywhere from 1-10 if the season goes any which way. 

First, we start off with a games against good teams that we probably should be beat, but by no means sure things.  So by beating Villanova, WVU, and Providence, we have a good chance at not being 8, 9, or 10 in the conference.  (though we do play Nova again at their place)

Next, we have play G-town and ND to decide who should be in the 5,6, or 7 spot.  This is where most people would put Marquette as a 5, 6, or 7 in the Big East, so we will decide how we finish compared to them in this second part of the season.

Then, we play the big dogs at the end of the season, with hopefully our spot as at least fifth place decided.

Should be fun.

dsfire

• All American
Re: A Take On Our Conference Schedule
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 03:49:07 PM »
On the other hand, the record over the last 10 games is one of the qualifying/seeding criteria for the NCAA committee, so the brutal stretch at the end could hurt us more than if they were spread out.  Hopefully we'll get some W's and it won't be an issue.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 07:01:32 PM »
On the other hand, the record over the last 10 games is one of the qualifying/seeding criteria for the NCAA committee, so the brutal stretch at the end could hurt us more than if they were spread out.  Hopefully we'll get some W's and it won't be an issue.

My thoughts exactly. Though I would like to go into the tourney on a roll, losing a few and going in hungry and underestimated is a better way to go, I believe.
SS Marquette

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 07:12:43 PM »

I believe it is last 12 games now to give a larger sample.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MU737

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 11:49:57 AM »
The good thing though is everyone is talking about how hard our schedule is in the last 10, so hopefully the committee is hearing this and will keep that in mind, plus I think we will win some of these tough games we have at the end.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 12:09:32 PM »
Are Beast tourney games included in the 12 game sample?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 12:15:42 PM »
Are Beast tourney games included in the 12 game sample?

Yes.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 12:49:13 PM »
It reminds me of my old NES Mike Tyson's punch-out from 20 years ago.  You start out with minor circuit (pre-conference), guys like Glass Joe (UWM), Von Kaiser (Texas Southern) and Piston Honda (NC State).  Then you start the major circuit (Big East Bottom Tier) and get through guys like Don Flamenco (Rutgers), Great Tiger (Providence), King Hippo (West Virginia), and then on to the World Circuit and work your through the likes of Soda Popinski (Notre Dame), Bald Bull (Syracuse), Mr. Sandman (Connecticut) and Super Macho Man (Pittsburgh) until you get to Mike Tyson (The Big East Tournament), where you are inevitably knocked out before you knew what hit you.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 01:07:15 PM »
Looking at the glass half full there are some advantages to our schedule.  If there were a game mixed in with the last 5 against a lesser BE team say South Florida on the road it would be an upset waiting to happen.  The team would think they could relax for a game and POW! down they go.  Second this schedule gives us at least a chance of having Fulce and Otule able to contribute.  We are going to need somebody to at least stand in front of players like Tabeet to have any chance of making it a game.  Finally while I fear Syr (we've never beaten them as a member of the BE) having them at home on Senior day gives us the best chance we'd have.  We'd be unlikely to beat Pitt anywhere so might as well make it a road game.  If I could change anything I'd trade going on the raod to play ND for playing UCONN here.  Unlikely we beat UCONN anywhere due to all the mismatches but play ND here and I'd say its a likely win.

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 01:13:25 PM »
I believe it is last 12 games now to give a larger sample.
Took me a while to find, but you're correct - looks like they bumped it for last year's tournament to reflect longer seasons (sure seems like there should be an article on the NCAA website discussing RPI, the S-Curve and such, but I didn't see such a thing):
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2008-02-12-Notes_N.htm

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 02:14:11 PM »
It reminds me of my old NES Mike Tyson's punch-out from 20 years ago.  You start out with minor circuit (pre-conference), guys like Glass Joe (UWM), Von Kaiser (Texas Southern) and Piston Honda (NC State).  Then you start the major circuit (Big East Bottom Tier) and get through guys like Don Flamenco (Rutgers), Great Tiger (Providence), King Hippo (West Virginia), and then on to the World Circuit and work your through the likes of Soda Popinski (Notre Dame), Bald Bull (Syracuse), Mr. Sandman (Connecticut) and Super Macho Man (Pittsburgh) until you get to Mike Tyson (The Big East Tournament), where you are inevitably knocked out before you knew what hit you.

Mike Tyson's Punch out?  Brilliant  :)

deerchaser

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 02:23:27 PM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/columns/story?columnist=bilas_jay&id=3851411

For those of you liking our schedule Jay Bilas agrees and points out that of our mirror opponents, Georgetown is the only one that is a true conference big shot this year.  He likes our schedule and calls it one of the easier routes to winning the Big East.  Then again, Bilas has always seemed to like us.

HomeCourtAdvantage

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 02:31:40 PM »
There is no better comparison than that of Notre Dame being Soda Popinski and West Virginia being King Hippo.  Though, I would rename King Hippo to King Hiccup for the dirty-drivin' capt'n, Mr Bob Huggins.
Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 02:35:12 PM »
Here's what Bilas wrote

• Marquette has the schedule of a team that can win the Big East. The Golden Eagles have great guards who are scoring with greater ease and freedom this year, and a face-up 4-man in Lazar Hayward, who is a matchup nightmare. Marquette lacks a presence inside, but the only true Big East big shot that Marquette plays twice is Georgetown. No Big East team has an easy route, but Marquette has a better path than several others.

My opinion - When you play an 18 game schedule, a difference in only three of them is negligible.  Couple that with the fact that nobody is playing three heavyweights twice, if by some miracle we finish first in the Big East we will have well-earned it and it wouldn't be fair to say we won because of some scheduling quirk.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 01:52:08 PM »
Especially since the last three years our schedule has been unfavorable.

05 - 6
Did not play (USF (1-15), Syr (7-9))
Doubled (DePaul (5-11), ND (6-10), Pitt (10-6))

06 - 07
Did not play (Cinci (2-14), StJ (7-9))
Doubled (Pitt (12-4), Lville (12-4), Prov (8-8))

07 - 08
Doubled (ND (14-4), SH (7-11), Lville (14-4))

For three years, the opponents we didn't play were 17-47, while those we doubled were 88-62. (note: this includes results from our games against these teams) We deserve a break.

feedback