'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN 540 Interview with Rosiak  (Read 12815 times)

Daniel

• All American
Re: ESPN 540 Interview with Rosiak
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 08:53:35 PM »
I doubt that there are any D-1 coaches who don;t have some issues.  I am happy with what Crean did at MU.  Could he have been even more successful ehre with recruiting and developing bigs, etc.  Maybe.  But he put us back on the national map and that was good for MU and good for MU basketball.  The way he left is defenseless.

I hope Buzz can build on this and maintain continuity with our success so we have no more gaps.  I think he can, and maybe even do better. 

legacy

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 09:59:01 PM »
Here's my two cents on Crean.  The certainly left the program in much better shape than he found it. BUT, the program had started to regress.  I don't know whether Crean was a dick, but I never thought he was a particularly good coach.  He was more of a salesman.  (The same thing could be said about Al too.)  That was enough to improve recruiting and bring in the fans.

Crean improved the program, but the Final Four was really a fluke type of thing for Crean, and in hindsight the team may have actually underachieved.  We had BY FAR the best player in college in Wade. People didn't appreciate it at the time, but we all knew.  The only way we ever got Wade is that people have always underestimated him at every step of the way.  People may forget but we came very close to losing to Holy Cross in the opening round, and had very tight games against Missouri and Pitt.  Beating Kentucky was phenomenal, and Wade's performace was one of the greatest tournament games of the decade.  Against Kansas, we were outcoached by a Kansas team that was no more talented than us. Kansas was more experienced, but they ended up losing to a Syracuse team with less experience.  Since then, we have underachieved every single March.  He never recruited a single genuine NBA player after Diener.  Fewer players really improved from year-to-year under Crean's tutelage (Wade, Diener, Novak and Jerel), than transferred out (Blankston, Mason) or stagnated (Wes, Dominic, Merritt, Townsend).

So, I think Crean had brought the program to where it is, a steady tournament team, but no real threat to go further.  I also think people were beginning to realize this, and his star was fading a bit.  I think he realized this, and knew something like Indiana wasn't going to come around again.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 10:38:24 PM »
Didn't know Todd was a shoe collector!

Doesn't anyone know where I can listen to the archive of Buzz's Monday shows? I missed this past Monday's episode.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:43:52 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 10:52:18 PM »
Here's my two cents on Crean.  The certainly left the program in much better shape than he found it. BUT, the program had started to regress.  I don't know whether Crean was a dick, but I never thought he was a particularly good coach.  He was more of a salesman.  (The same thing could be said about Al too.)  That was enough to improve recruiting and bring in the fans.

Crean improved the program, but the Final Four was really a fluke type of thing for Crean, and in hindsight the team may have actually underachieved.  We had BY FAR the best player in college in Wade. People didn't appreciate it at the time, but we all knew.  The only way we ever got Wade is that people have always underestimated him at every step of the way.  People may forget but we came very close to losing to Holy Cross in the opening round, and had very tight games against Missouri and Pitt.  Beating Kentucky was phenomenal, and Wade's performace was one of the greatest tournament games of the decade.  Against Kansas, we were outcoached by a Kansas team that was no more talented than us. Kansas was more experienced, but they ended up losing to a Syracuse team with less experience.  Since then, we have underachieved every single March.  He never recruited a single genuine NBA player after Diener.  Fewer players really improved from year-to-year under Crean's tutelage (Wade, Diener, Novak and Jerel), than transferred out (Blankston, Mason) or stagnated (Wes, Dominic, Merritt, Townsend).

So, I think Crean had brought the program to where it is, a steady tournament team, but no real threat to go further.  I also think people were beginning to realize this, and his star was fading a bit.  I think he realized this, and knew something like Indiana wasn't going to come around again.

good way to look at things and certainly the view of some. in my opinion definitely a pessimistic way. how about this- instead of saying wade was always underestimated why dont you give credit to crean for bringing in the best player to ever step foot on campus? how about crean turning Diener, who i admit can shoot the lights out, but is slow as crap and undersized into an NBA player? or how about novak- he can shoot also but so weak for his sized and never really an NBA player. Please do not insult the Final Four run because he got the most out of all his players when he needed it that run- oh and ps that game against Kentucky will go down as one of the top 3 games ever played by MU

About Crean being a dick you know what? honestly, people knew he was out to promote the team and himself, but noone gives a crap if he is hated by some that personally know him. That may say something about his personality, but everyone outside those 'close' that he was a dick to can give a rats ass. He won and made MU successful again.

Many people close to Michael Jordan say he was a dick. A horrible father, husband and person- That may be true, but to millions in the chicago area he was a legend and a God. While crean is no MJ, you get my point

Dry White Toast

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 11:02:09 PM »
I have rarely thrown my hat into this ring, but I finally decided I'd speak up.  I grew up the child of an alum with season tickets.  Attended 90% of the home games from '71 or '72 until I became a student in '78 and of course attended all of the home games while enrolled.  graduated and moved out of state in '83.  So, I experienced the AL era - the greatest time to be a Warrior fan - ever.  Hank was there when I was - lots of talent (thanks to Al) but disappointing results.  When I moved away, the program was practically invisible on the national scene for years. Yes, O'Neill's teams got them a little exposure, but living in the Southeast, not much chance of me seeing too many games in the heart of ACC/SEC hoops territory.

Enter Tom Crean (and DWade of course) and suddenly, my Alma Mater is relevent again.  My friends and co-workers actually knew what I was talking about when I talked MU basketball.  Of course I was oblivious to Crean's off court persona with no local media dissection of his every move, and no blogs to follow (I just didn't do it back then).  So, did I care?  No.  we were a top 25 program again.  That's the bottom line - that and at least for MU, a clean program and graduating players.  He did those things as well.  So,  I have no problem with Crean and what he did at Marquette.  All I have to say, is "Thank you, Tom Crean, and good luck."  I'm not happy you left the way you did, but we'll be just fine,.

Well said!  I, too, live away from God's Country (that being the tiny 'nation' between 9th and 20th and Clybourn and State).  Crean - like him or hate him - made the program relevant again.

I always told my friends who asked about every rumor (Illinois, Missouri, etc.), that I would understand if TC left for some programs...but not those.  The short list of programs were the likes of UNC, Duke, KU, Kentucky, UCLA....and yes, IU.  He did not leave gracefully, but faced with the same decision, most men or women would have made the same decision.

I BELIEVE that MU will come out ahead in the deal.  TC got MU back into the national consciousness, but I had doubts about how high he could take us (final four notwithstanding).  I am impressed with Buzz based upon 15-2, recruiting, public persona, player reaction, recruiting, personal interaction, etc, etc, etc.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 08:19:15 AM »
I think all of us have known that, but as Todd and others on the radio program also said....he had wild success as well.

That part of the equation never seems to register with you guys.  It's only the part that he was an a-hole.

Give me an a-hole who will take us to the Final Four every decade every day of the week, unless you can find a nice guy that can do it...then I'm sold.

+1. Seriously. I think it is the younger students and alumns that do not remember where this program was in 1999 when Tom Crean took over that "pile on" Tom Crean now that he has left. To me the fact that only 4 years after TC was hired we were in the Final 4 (with a future NBA HOF player) is what matters most. Tom Crean ran a clean program, promoted Marquette brilliantly, and overall was successfull. At the end of the day, that will be his legacy.

If he was arrogant at times, so be it. Sometimes that's what you need to do. I'm not nice in my day job, but that doesn't mean I'm a bad person or not deserving of any success I have. And the same is true for TC.

No one likes how (or why) TC left for Indiana, but let's not let that blind our objectivity. The Jesuits would like us to think more critically than that. Tom Crean gave a lot to Marquette and Marquette greatly benefitted from his tenure as head coach of the team.
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 08:26:58 AM »
He never recruited a single genuine NBA player after Diener. 

Uh, Steve Novak?

What about DJ, McNeal, Mathews and Hayward? Each of them has at least a chance of playing in the NBA.

Also don't forget Tyshawn Taylor. Had Crean not left he would have been at MU. He is starting as a true freshman at Kansas and looks like an NBA prospect to me.
We Are Marquette

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2009, 08:31:08 AM »
Tower i agree with you.  My point all along and for whatever it is worth is you do not have to be a dick along the way.  MAny people say "well it's ok be cuase we were winning"  ahhh no it's not.  I guess some missed the cura personalis class.

And FWIW...I have no problem with Crean leaving..I disliked him and am glad he left...so I am not "bitter he left".  I flet Crean was over the last 5+  years holding the program back with questionable coaching and poor recruiting.  I am not upset with how he left, it came as no surprise...did i think he would do it with class..of course not that would be out of character.  Do i blame Crean for leaving?...of course not IU is a great gig.  His actions were abhorrent, his character despicable, if the guy had 30-4 records with elite 8 finishes evry year maybe, just maybe i could overlook it.  but 21-12 records and a first round flame out with recruit going nowhere  and 2 nits in the last 5 years is absolutely no justification for that sort of behavior.  Sorry if people feel it is justified.  becuase it does not.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 08:38:59 AM by MR.HAYWARD »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2009, 08:32:59 AM »

Good guys do win and him winning does not excuse him for being an absolute prick.  It seems alot of people were so enamored with Crean that they could never have imagined the rumors of his behavior.  This is a result of the fact that some people feel MU could never be successful with anyone other than Crean. 

I think this is the crux of the issue for you and not for some of us.

While I don't think Crean is an "absolute prick" like you do, I do understand how he comes off as arrogant (he is) and ego-driven (he is) I also know people that have personally worked for him, and they said he was very tough to deal with (he is).

However, the guy graduated the vast, vast majority of players, and he won a LOT of games, and you hear great comments from former players and other coaches (why would they lie?)

Could MU have been successful without Tom Crean? Yes. But, MU's track record wasn't very good before Crean, so you have to admit that Crean was good for the university.

That's it. That's where I leave it.

PS I could go on and on about how Crean embraced Al's legacy, and really help take over Al's run, and made a "donation" to the soccer stadium (TBD), etc. But, I know you will say that those were all fake ways for him to get himself on camera... so I don't want to debate those things. That's all just speculation and opinion.

Here's the FACT:
MU is a better place for hiring Tom Crean. You may/can hate him, but it's true.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009, 08:35:21 AM »

Crean improved the program, but the Final Four was really a fluke type of thing for Crean, and in hindsight the team may have actually underachieved.  We had BY FAR the best player in college in Wade.

I don't know if Wade was by far the best college player, Carmelo was a very very talented freshman in that same final four.  And even was good enough to win it all.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009, 08:52:56 AM »
Can someone put together a list of how many of these threads get hijacked into Crean discussions?  Because it seems like a whole lot.  Or maybe once a thread gets hijacked into "Crean's a dick" territory, we could put a header on there?  Just a thought. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 08:57:39 AM »
I know I was part of the problem in this thread but I say the mods get tough with Crean hi jacked threads.    Next time 4warriors, Mr.Hayward, Chicos, Stone Cold, etc. mentions Crean they get a 2 week ban. 

I'd like to see who fails first.

nola03

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2009, 09:24:27 AM »
Crean improved the program, but the Final Four was really a fluke type of thing for Crean, and in hindsight the team may have actually underachieved.  We had BY FAR the best player in college in Wade.

I think you are so off your rocker on this one.

That MU team had three NBA players on it (including the greatest player in our history; the player who should've ended his career as leading scorer; and the greatest long range shooter in our history). Had a legit post presence. Had a strong bench. Had shooting, passing, defense. All the intangibles of success. It wasn't nearly the fluke that people love to dismiss it as.

Also, Wade wasn't the best college player in that Final Four. Both Carmelo Anthony and TJ Ford were better college players. You are confusing Wade being the best professional of that group with Wade being the best collegian of that group.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2009, 09:40:55 AM »
MU2002alum  you sya  "However, the guy graduated the vast, vast majority of players, and he won a LOT of games"

My point all along is you dont have to be an a-hole to do that and it does not make it all right.   

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 09:50:57 AM »
MU2002alum  you sya  "However, the guy graduated the vast, vast majority of players, and he won a LOT of games"

My point all along is you dont have to be an a-hole to do that and it does not make it all right.   

Agreed, you don't have to be an a-hole.

I don't think the guy was a total douche (like some), but I can see how people were not in love with him.

MY POINT: Facts are facts, and MU basketball was a lot more enjoyable (better product) and beneficial to the school (more $$) after Crean came.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2009, 10:43:33 AM »
02 I think where some of us "haters" get upset is so many people think TC is the only guy who could have elevated the program.  IMHO the man who saved MU Hoops was Fr Wild.  In many respects when it comes to TC, I don't hate the player as much as I hate the game. 

Also, Dimitri points to Travis as example of TC's player development.  Anyone who followed Travis's AAU exploits knows he captained a Playground Warriors team that dominated the AAU circuit.  He was playing with and excelling against the big boys long before TC got a hold of him.  A NBA career out of Travis was not a reach his senior year of HS. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2009, 10:49:35 AM »
Just listened to the interview. That D list guy is terrible. I guess I've been spoiled by Sports Radio (The Score and ESPN) in Chicago (with the exception of Mike Murphy who is a nice guy, but terrible and has an awful radio voice).
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2009, 10:51:18 AM »

I don't know if Wade was by far the best college player, Carmelo was a very very talented freshman in that same final four.  And even was good enough to win it all.

Dwyane Wade was the best college player I have ever seen with my own two eyes. He was a better all-around player than Carmelo Anthony that year and way better than TJ Ford who won Player of the Year.
We Are Marquette

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2009, 10:54:04 AM »
02 I think where some of us "haters" get upset is so many people think TC is the only guy who could have elevated the program.  IMHO the man who saved MU Hoops was Fr Wild.  In many respects when it comes to TC, I don't hate the player as much as I hate the game. 

I can't help you there.

You can hate Crean because you think he gets too much credit, but there's nothing we can do to change that.

Head coaches are always going to get too much credit and too much blame.

Can you name any of the university presidents and/or AD's at the following schools?:

Villanova
North Carolina
UCLA
PITT

I bet most people can't, but I bet they know the coach that helped "bring the program back" (relative term, but you get the idea).

It's just life. Nothing Tom Crean did or does can change that.

As far as I'm concerned, Fr. Wild deserves credit for hiring/trusting the right people, Cords deserves credit for finding Crean and empowering him, Crean deserves credit for working his ass off and jump starting a relatively dormant program.

Crean is not Jesus, but he did a good job.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2009, 10:55:10 AM »
Also, Dimitri points to Travis as example of TC's player development.  Anyone who followed Travis's AAU exploits knows he captained a Playground Warriors team that dominated the AAU circuit.  He was playing with and excelling against the big boys long before TC got a hold of him.  A NBA career out of Travis was not a reach his senior year of HS. 

An NBA career was out of reach for Diener. Diener himself credits TC for making him an NBA player.
We Are Marquette

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2009, 11:24:35 AM »
Have to agree with Damonkey...Saw travis play a number of times probably half a dozen.  Playing for the playground warriors and that team was loaded with D! talent...he was by far the best player on the team....

The big "knock" on him was did he has the size strength to play major D1 ball and possibly alot of coaches looked in another direction .  But as far as game is concerned there was absolutley no doubts.  After the first time I saw him play I was basolutely giddy that Mu was recruiting him and heard the negatives and hoped they continued and that he had to "settle" for MU.  Big time baller saw his attitude and moxy and knew size was no issue.  Saw him stroke 3's at buzzers to tie games.  Saw him stroke FT's to salt games etc.  I saw the ice water and toughness we all came to know and knew he was a steal.  Oh by the way he was the highest rated play Crean ever signed.  To say he did not have a big time future before he ever stepped on the court at MU is to kid oneself. 
did he get better at MU...of course but he was a Parade 3rd team HS all-american.  Crean developing a scrawny kid who could barely dribble and shoot and his best sport was ice fishing and after being in Tommy NAismiths presence goes from the same MArketing spin machine as the Dwade had noone else interested in him and was a dimond in the rough and only Crean could see the hidden potential.  Sucker born every minute.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2009, 11:28:20 AM »
...Crean developing a scrawny kid who could barely dribble and shoot and his best sport was ice fishing and after being in Tommy NAismiths presence goes from the same MArketing spin machine as the Dwade had noone else interested in him and was a dimond in the rough and only Crean could see the hidden potential.  Sucker born every minute.

You were doing so well up to this point.

::)

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2009, 12:14:37 PM »
I don't hate the man 02, just think he's overrated.  The fact that for 9 years you couldn't have a reasonable discussion of his weaknesses, bothered me.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2009, 12:23:12 PM »
I don't hate the man 02, just think he's overrated.  The fact that for 9 years you couldn't have a reasonable discussion of his weaknesses, bothered me.   

Fair enough.

Same thing could be said about Mike Holmgren and (gasp) even Al McGuire.

Fans who like teams/coaches have a hard time being objective.

Fans who hate teams/coaches have a hard time being objective.

jce

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2009, 12:39:24 PM »
Buzz proves nice guys can win too

The only thing Buzz has proven is that he can't f*ck up a good thing, and he can recruit well.  He has yet to win a game that anyone would consider an "upset," and has yet to show he has the abilities to develop anyone.  Until he shows that he can do both, he hasn't proven much.