[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: reminiscing the rock  (Read 6486 times)

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
reminiscing the rock
« on: November 04, 2006, 09:07:52 PM »
So... I am sitting here browsing MUScoop's postings with some college football on in the background and drinking some fine dairy wine (eggnog) for the first time this year.. and as excited as I am about the season (unofficially) starting tomorrow I can't help but think back over the most excellent adventure we've all had over the past five years as MU fans.

As difficult as it is to narrow them down, I'd have to say my two favorite memories in this time span are:

1.) Beating Pittsburgh and then Georgetown in back to back games last year.  I was there and the excitement in the air was probably the most I had ever felt in the bradley center.  Everyone was on their feet almost the entire game it seemed.  It was also, of course, the last college game I saw Novak play in person.

2.) Beating #1 Kentucky in the NCAA tournament en route to our first final four appearance in too many years.  Again, I was there.  I spent the entire game picking my jaw off the ground and blinking at the score trying to make sure I wasn't reading the teams backwards (you can ask Rocky, I still ask him if we really did beat them).  And of course, it was the last college game I would see Wade play in person.  The image of him and Diener standing side by side grinning from ear to ear after the game will always be burned into my mind.

What are your two most favorite MU b-ball memories over the past 5 years?
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

ilovefreeway

Re: reminiscing the rock
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 09:49:26 PM »
#1) The Kentucky game.  Two things I'll never forget about it was 1)  my dad is a Kentucky alum and about 30 secs before the tip, he said "God, I hope Marquette wins" (I had been taking him to games since the early Deane years) and 2) Travis passing the ball to Steve and turning around with both arms up with three fingers extended before Steve even let the ball go.

#2)  The UC game to end the regular season to win the CUSA title.  I was in the BC for an hour after the game on the court talking to the players.  I just didn't want to go home.   
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 09:52:22 PM by ilovefreeway »

thisists

• Starter
  • brew city bred
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 03:41:05 AM »
1.) Uconn last season - What a better way to play our inagural game in the BIG EAST than to upset, embarrass and stomp all over the top team?  This may have been even better than Kentucky since it was in the BC and the sudent crowd was INSANE.

2.) Kentucky Game- My guys and I were among a croud of stunned Kentucky fans.

Is it fair to call it a tie or is that a cop out? Tough call.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 03:44:12 AM by ons20 »

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 10:16:31 AM »
Definitely the Kentucky game to get us to the Final Four and the UConn game last year.  We were underdogs in both and smoked both teams in meaningful games.  Wade's highlight game of his career as he recorded a triple double.  I was jumping around like a lunatic during the entire game.  The UConn game because of its significance as our first Big East game and it was Steve Novak's coming out party to the Big East.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 11:57:27 AM »
The Kentucky game.  I had found a fellow MU alum (there aren't many here) and we had been watching them all year in various sports bars.   We watched that game at his house and I had tears rolling down my face at the end.   My wife said it is only the second time she had seen me cry.   Second is from the same tournament, watching the Holy Cross game in a sports bar and getting jeered by my fellow patrons until the very end.    MU v ND last year, the image of Novak's three will stay etched in my brain until I am mumbling into my oatmeal.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bheitz

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 12:31:43 PM »
The Pittsburgh game before the Kentucky game.  I was in Vegas making my annual March donations.  We were lucky enough to grab a few seats at the bar outside the sports book at the Bellagio.  When the game was over we all stood up on our bar stools and screamed, "How 'bout those Warriors!" 

In Vegas, free beer (relatively speaking  :)), and Marquette one win away from the FF -- that was rockin'.

The Kentucky game you ask?  I was on a flight home and didn't hear the outcome until I got in the car at the airport.  I watched it a friend's house the next day.

I was out there for the UConn game last year.  I asked a couple of different books if they would be showing the game.  No one would.  I think there was some "meaningless" college football game being played at about the same time.

warriors_mu

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 05:04:06 PM »
1. The UCONN game last year. That was by far the most electric I've ever seen a stadium, with the exception of Wrigley in the 2003 playoffs. So many students drove in for the game even though we were on break. None of us really expected to win even though we all wanted to so badly. By the second half, everyone there knew that ball was going in everytime it left Novak's hand. I couldn't have imagined our first Big East game going any better.

2. Like everyone else, I have to say Kentucky in 2003. I remember watching it in a bar with my dad (an MU alum). All night he kept talking about the '77 team, which was his first year at MU. It was easily the most fun I have ever had watching a game on TV, and it is definitely something I will remember forever.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 09:44:22 AM »
I've tried to think of some creative anwers, some overlooked games, but nothing tops Kentucky #1 and UConn #2.  Also the two best individual Marquette performances I've ever seen with Wade's triple-double and Novak posting 41 and 16.

Bling

• Starter
  • Bling
    • North Shore Dental
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 10:22:19 AM »
1.  My freshman year at MU.  2/2/02 vs Cincinnati at the Bradley Center.  I think Cincy was a top ten team (maybe number 4?  I am not sure) at the time.   MU dominates them 74-60 winning their 8th game in a row.  Wade drops 25.  I think this was the game that really got me hooked on MU hoops from then on.  After storming the court, the celebrations at the BC bars are unforgettable.  We knew MU was good this year after winning the GAS and everyone knew Wade was a superstar but this win kind of sealed it.  What a great memory....

However, I won't forget the next game vs Cincy February 22nd, 2002.  (Marquette #9 and Ciny #4)  We were up by 4 with 30 seconds to go when Steve Logan shoves Cordell Henry to the ground then buries a wide open three.  Then Wade misses the front end of a 1 and 1 and Little hits a jumper to seal it.  Cordell's half court attempt nearly went in, though.   Oh man, I was steaming when we lost that game.

2.  Marquette at Louisville 2/26/2003.  Coming back from 19pts down in the 2nd half.  Wade's line: 28, 7, and 7.  Merritt drops 18 and Diener 16.  Just an amazing team effort to come back and win, avenging the painful last second loss at the Bradley Center two weeks earlier.

And, how can I forget Novak's three-point clinic at Louisville January 31st, 2004?  Novak drops 8 threes and 30 points.  Unranked Marquette breaks #4 Louisville's 16 game win streak.  Also, I think it was the 3rd season in a row where we won at Freedom Hall.  What an amazing performance.  I won't forget that one shot where Novak was covered by 2 Cardinals a few steps behind NBA range at the top of the key, and swishes it with the shot clock winding down.  Money!!