[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jamie Dixon - Class Act  (Read 8911 times)

warthogdriver

• Scholarship Player
Jamie Dixon - Class Act
« on: January 09, 2009, 06:04:47 PM »
Just watched Dixon interview with Jim Rome while on the running machine at the Base Gym. He is a real solid guy. Rome asked about the annual rumors involving new jobs and Dixon was clear - Pitt and his players have made a commitment to him and he cannot imagine betraying that trust and loyalty. Rome came at it from a few different angles of attack and Dixon was consistent - loyalty, character, and integrity are his bedrock principles and he cannot imagine straying from that position. Refreshing.

nyg

• All American
Re: Jamie Dixon - Class Act
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 06:29:19 PM »
Caught that too.  Liked how he explained when he did not get head coaching jobs at like UC-Santa Barbara and UC-Irvine, as an assistant under Ben Howland at PITT.  Worked out real well for PITT.  University of Arizona is expected to make a major run at him after this year. Hope he stays in BE.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 11:00:38 PM »
He may interview well and he may even be a nice guy outside of the basketball court, but I have my suspicions.  I remember when Marquette played Pitt during our first year in the Big East and one his players pushed Chapman into Dixon, and Dixon made a comment to Chapman... something that looked like F* off.  Had it been a fiery player like Diener I would have written it off, but I can't imagine Chapman starting something.

Also, his players seem a little cheap-shot like.  The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.  Watching the Pitt-G Town game this year... watching Blair laugh in guys faces and what not.  It makes me wonder about Dixon.

Like I said below, he may be a stand-up person off the court.  On the court and around the game... I wonder.

New Era Warriors

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 02:48:41 AM »
right with you Marquettedano

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 08:50:06 AM »
well i as much as the other guy did not like when James got shoved etc.  But I think alot of that simply comes from how heated the rivalry has become.  When Mu makes a play and get fired up and whhofs it up we over look it, but when a player for a team we are big time rivals with IE loserville, Pitt, ND, wisky,  we then "hate" that player "even more"  Blair laughs all the time, but "he laughed in a guys face" comments appear.

Let me put it this way...has any Mu fan ever hated a player on UWM or Svvanah State, South Fla, or the like?  No we scruiitnze and hate players on teams we "hate"

ToddPacker

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 10:04:42 AM »
What else was he going to say?  Crean said similar things about MU and look what happened with that.  You are surprised that he did not say, "well, I'm looking for my first good opportunity to get the heck outta here?"  Dixon seems like a real ass from what I have seen when we have played Pitt.  Similar to how many think that Crean is an ass when they played MU.  He's a west coast guy, and I won't be the least bit surprised if he jumps ship when the right opportunity to get back there comes along.  I mean, it's Arizona, it's Arizona.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 10:11:08 AM »
Dixon may be a nice enough guy but remember: Crean said the same things about MU that Dixon is saying about PITT. That said, the fact he didn't order one of his players to clean Cubes' clock after he worm-danced them two years ago indicates he's not all bad. He is a great coach. 

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 10:15:18 AM »
What else was he going to say?  Crean said similar things about MU and look what happened with that.  You are surprised that he did not say, "well, I'm looking for my first good opportunity to get the heck

+1 Are we going to get updates every time some coach drops some coachspeak followed by the word 'refreshing' in order to bring up Creon comparisons?  We get it, you don't think he'd be suitable to be a battlefield commander because he was offered, what is widely considered, a better job and took it after 9 years of loyal service.  By your ridiculous standarts 99% of America is scum.

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 10:39:42 AM »
Dixon has done a tremendous job with the Pitt program since succeeding Ben Howland.  The only thing missing from his resume is a lengthy tournament run in March.  He's also had to cope with the tragic and untimely death of his sister, Maggie, who had become an excellent basketball coach herself at Army.  I think Jamie is great for the Big East and I can see him sticking with the Pitt program for years to come.  He has already turned down an offer to head back to the PAC 10 when he rejected a recent courtship from Cal.  He's signed through 2013 and I would not be surprised if he extends his deal again in the future.  He's in charge of a what has become a premier program.  It doesn't get much better than that. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 10:48:26 AM »
Dixon has done a tremendous job with the Pitt program since succeeding Ben Howland.  The only thing missing from his resume is a lengthy tournament run in March.  He's also had to cope with the tragic and untimely death of his sister, Maggie, who had become an excellent basketball coach herself at Army.  I think Jamie is great for the Big East and I can see him sticking with the Pitt program for years to come.  He has already turned down an offer to head back to the PAC 10 when he rejected a recent courtship from Cal.  He's signed through 2013 and I would not be surprised if he extends his deal again in the future.  He's in charge of a what has become a premier program.  It doesn't get much better than that. 

Arizona is a MUCH better job.

warthogdriver

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 09:49:38 AM »
I'm not sure why AZ is a better job. Was it on the map prior to Olson? MU was at the pinnacle under Al - look what happened after he went to NBC. Let's see where AZ is in a few years.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 09:57:31 AM »
Yes. AZ is an elite basketball school. Recruiting dream down there. Girls, weather, awesome living facilities, awesome basketball facilities.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 09:59:47 AM »
I'm not sure why AZ is a better job. Was it on the map prior to Olson? MU was at the pinnacle under Al - look what happened after he went to NBC. Let's see where AZ is in a few years.

Easier conference, better location, better weather, easier recruiting, and it's a basketball school. 

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 10:28:22 AM »
I understand Arizona was a great basketball school under Lute, but before Lute they were absolutely nothing and are in the fast process of going right back there.  No recruitng class coming in again this year.   How mnay times has anyone even heard Arizona mention in BBall talk in any type of media this year?  1980' and 1990's is one thing 2009 a whole nother ball game Arizona is yesterday's news and in case somebody missed it is #1 in the country.  Pitt recruiting has dwarfed Zona's the last few years.

Now I will agree you are only going to get coachspeak and  he very well go out west.  but if he does it is for persoanl reasons or something of that nature.  it is not becuse Arizona is a better gig.  Give me a break!.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 10:56:24 AM »
I have Hayward on ignore. What are the chances that his response is ridiculous and littered with misspellings?
Anyone?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 11:12:31 AM »
I have Hayward on ignore. What are the chances that his response is ridiculous and littered with misspellings?
Anyone?

Interesting problem.  To know - you'd have to take him off ignore.  But if you're ignoring him, why do you care anyway?  :)

JSwarriors08

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 11:14:36 AM »
Anyone?

Pretty good, but I couldn't tell you.  I can't see it either.   :)

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 11:21:05 AM »
what clowns have it on ignore yet feel compelled to respond...children. 

jce

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 11:21:49 AM »
Lute made hay mostly from Los Angeles when UCLA had a series of inept coaches that couldn't keep local talent in town.  Howland is doing a good job keeping it there.  Cal is a tougher job than AZ though because of their admission requirements though.  A lot of it comes down to how much he personally likes Pittsburgh and how much he wants to leave.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 11:48:26 AM »
To know - you'd have to take him off ignore.

Not entirely correct.  If you have someone on ignore there is a <show> button that is displayed on the far right of their minimized post.  That will let you view the post without taking the person off of ignore.

But to echo rocky's sentiment, do you really care what he said in the first place?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 12:02:42 PM »
I understand Arizona was a great basketball school under Lute, but before Lute they were absolutely nothing and are in the fast process of going right back there.     Actually, AZ had some powerhouse teams in the 19702 under Fred snowden.