Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Maymon and Memorial win in Minnesota  (Read 2163 times)

Wareagle

• Team Captain
Maymon and Memorial win in Minnesota
« on: January 03, 2009, 06:24:52 PM »
Madison paper reports on Memorial beating the #2 ranked team in Minnesota at the Target Center

Other players of interest in the game included Junior Lomomba, Vander Blue, and Mike Brusewitz (committed to Madison).

Maymon had 26 (11-16 from the field) to lead all scorers and had 13 boards.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/badgerbeat/comingandgoingrecruiting/430656

MINNEAPOLIS — A few things seemed out of whack for the Madison Memorial prep boys basketball team Saturday afternoon.

They played Minnesota's Henry Sibley High School on the big NBA court at Target Center, and the game was played under Minnesota rules dictating 18-minute halves instead of 8-minute quarters.

The court was big, there were no quarter breaks and few Spartans fans were on hand. But Memorial came away with a 67-64 victory over the second-ranked team in Minnesota's largest division.
Links
• Boxscore

"That big court causes us some problems and the 18-minute half thing, I'm not totally used to that," Memorial coach Steve Collins said. "But I thought our kids really adjusted well. This was a great experience for us."

After a back-and-forth game, Memorial trailed 60-57 with 3 minutes, 33 seconds to play before a defensive adjustment turned things around. The Spartans employed a halfcourt trap that led to four consecutive Henry Sibley turnovers.

A 3-pointer by junior Vander Blue tied it at 60 with 2:28 left, and three free throws were followed by a driving layup by freshman Junior Lomomba that capped an 8-0 run and gave the Spartans (6-0) a 65-60 lead with 34 seconds remaining.

Like Memorial, Henry Sibley was a state runner-up last season. The Warriors, who came into the game unbeaten in seven games, have several NCAA Division I recruits, including University of Wisconsin signee Mike Bruesewitz, who had 20 points and 10 rebounds.

"I think he's going to be great, He's a Bo (Ryan) guy," Collins said of Bruesewitz. "He does everything well. You're going to look at his stats and it's going to be a great stat sheet. He's going to shoot well, he's not going to turn the ball over, he gets offensive and defensive rebounds, he does everything well."

Bruesewitz stands 6-foot-7, and Henry Sibley's rotation also includes 6-8 forwards Chris Halvorsen and Mike Rostampour and 7-foot junior center Jake Kreuser. Halvorsen has signed with Valparaiso, while Rostampour and Kreuser also are getting Division I looks.

"We don't see teams quite like this in Wisconsin, with this kind of size," Collins said. "They're big and they're athletic."

Memorial's Jeronne Maymon, who had a game-high 26 points on 11-for-16 shooting to go along with 13 rebounds, said he didn't expect such a challenge.

"They were tougher than I thought," said Maymon, a Marquette recruit who is averaging 18 points per game. "I didn't think it would be that close. I thought we would come up here and get maybe a 10-, 15-point win. We knew they were big but we didn't think they could match our speed up and down the court."

Blue, who will join Breusewitz at UW in 2010, added 16 points for the Spartans.

nyg

• All American
Re: Maymon and Memorial win in Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 06:44:07 PM »
26 and 13 against a group of future Division I players going 6'7, 6'8 and 7ft is a good thing.  Wow.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 06:48:30 PM »
Maymon is a beast.  Its been a long, long time since we had someone with his skill set around the paint.  I expect a lot of double-doubles early and often next year.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 08:00:51 PM »
"They were tougher than I thought," said Maymon, a Marquette recruit who is averaging 18 points per game. "I didn't think it would be that close. I thought we would come up here and get maybe a 10-, 15-point win. We knew they were big but we didn't think they could match our speed up and down the court."

Wonder what this kid thinks about playing in the Big East!
SS Marquette

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 11:17:42 PM »
Gotta love the confidence from Maymon! Great start by the big guy.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 11:31:40 AM »
I would have loved to see Memorial play Hopkins yesterday.  Would have been a great game to watch instead of watching Hopkins blow out Lake Geneva with a running clock to end the game.

"White is one of four Hopkins starters who have signed with Division I colleges. White is headed to Minnesota.  Mike Broghammer is headed for Notre Dame, Raymond Cowels for Santa Clara and Trent Lockett for Arizona State."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/37048459.html?page=1&c=y

http://www.twincities.com/prep/ci_11364059?nclick_check=1

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 06:37:30 PM »
I may have missed it, but I hadn't seen ESPN's Reggie Rankin take posted:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=3810459
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

feedback