[Today at 07:19:53 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: "9 interceptions and 2 touchdowns...Favre should have been benched"  (Read 6927 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
So says Thomas Jones.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3804004

With the Packers out of the playoffs, where do Packers fans stand on the Favre's lackluster performance? Are they still missing him?
SS Marquette

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
Re: "9 interceptions and 2 touchdowns...Favre should have been benched"
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 12:54:19 AM »
Nope.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 07:52:11 AM »
never missed him

IAmMarquette

• All American

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 03:34:34 PM »
QB was the least of the Packers worries this year and they should be set at that position for some time barring injury.

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 03:40:08 PM »
QB was the least of the Packers worries this year and they should be set at that position for some time barring injury.

Agreed. Rodgers has held up his part of the deal. It would've been nice if the Jets had made a playoff run just for the sake of a higher draft pick for GB. I bet Favre is wishing he had quit at the top.

sigep80

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 04:29:37 PM »
Okay - here we go.

I'm a life long Bears fan and season ticket holder since 1986.  I cannot for the life of me understand those packer fans who don't care if Favre is gone or don't miss him.  He was your freakin team for over a decade, without him you were just another piss poor Lions team.

Bears fans would never forget or not miss one of the Bears greats - it's just not right.  It's not like he left the team for more money and greener pastures...

lame

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 04:47:34 PM »
He was your freakin team for over a decade, without him you were just another piss poor Lions team.
HAHA good joke.  I'm not downplaying what Brett Favre did for the Packers.  Not one bit.  He is a legend.  Arguably the best quarterback ever to play the game.  Absolutely a top 5 quarterback to ever play the game.  Absolutely a Hall of Famer.  But to say without him we're just a Lions team is a joke.  Without him we go 0-16 instead of Super Bowl Champions?  Maybe we don't win the Super Bowl, but you have to be kidding.  Pretend we replace Favre with a decent quarterback.  Edgar Bennett and Dorsey Levens are the running backs.  William Henderson is the fullback.  Antonio Freeman, Keith Jackson, Don Beebe, Robert Brookes wideouts.  Chmura tight end.  Desmond Howard special teams stud.  Chris Jacke hit everything as a kicker, Craig Hentrich was a great punter.  Leroy Butler, Eugene Robinson, George Koonce.  Santana Dotson, Sean Jones, Santana Dotson, Gilbert Brown.  Oh yeah, and Reggie White.  They're all on defense.  But I suppose Brett Favre took us from 0-16 to Super Bowl Champions with that group.  Good post.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 05:20:26 PM »
I think what sigep meant was you would be a Lions like team this year.  Which has some truth.  Taking out victories over the terrible Lions, you had 4 wins this year.  That's not within sniffing distance of mediocre. 

Of course he'd admit that those GB good teams/Super Bowl teams had a boatload of good players.  He didn't say the opposite. -- But you take away #4 from those teams, and you get something like the Bears with Grossman as QB.   Winners, but supremely flawed.

If you had Favre this year, I think GB would have won 3-4 more games.  Just because of his ability to lead in the 4th quarter, and win tight games. 

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 05:31:07 PM »
The Packers had quite a few injury problems AND Aaron Rodgers did BETTER than Favre this year and in comparison to many of his recent years.  To say losing Brett Favre now makes much of a difference is wrong, Brett is over the hump and washed up.  He should have been benched if he was sucking, then the Jets fans would be able to see their team in the playoffs. 

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 06:55:52 PM »
I think it's amazing how many Packer fans I've seen with Favre Jets jerseys in Wisconsin.  If anything the majority are behind Brett I think.

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
Imagine the Crean saga dragged out for 5 months. Then I think you can picture why some (me included) rooted against Brett this year. Why the hell would I want him to start kicking ass for the Jets? He's supposed to be kicking ass for the Packers! Same as how most of the MU community wouldn't want to see Crean win a national title (or any game at all) for Indiana. Sure, I wish #4 would've been with the team this year. But after all the crap he pulled, enough was enough. I appreciate everything Brett did for the Packers. He's the best Packer player ever, no question. He's my favorite Packer ever, no question. However, it was time. Hard feelings? Sure, but they go away after time. 

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 01:29:02 PM »
I think it's amazing how many Packer fans I've seen with Favre Jets jerseys in Wisconsin.  If anything the majority are behind Brett I think.

Disagree. I think there's a very vocal minority backing Favre.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 04:53:17 PM »
HAHA good joke.  I'm not downplaying what Brett Favre did for the Packers.  Not one bit.  He is a legend.  Arguably the best quarterback ever to play the game.  Absolutely a top 5 quarterback to ever play the game.  Absolutely a Hall of Famer.  But to say without him we're just a Lions team is a joke.  Without him we go 0-16 instead of Super Bowl Champions?  Maybe we don't win the Super Bowl, but you have to be kidding.  Pretend we replace Favre with a decent quarterback.  Edgar Bennett and Dorsey Levens are the running backs.  William Henderson is the fullback.  Antonio Freeman, Keith Jackson, Don Beebe, Robert Brookes wideouts.  Chmura tight end.  Desmond Howard special teams stud.  Chris Jacke hit everything as a kicker, Craig Hentrich was a great punter.  Leroy Butler, Eugene Robinson, George Koonce.  Santana Dotson, Sean Jones, Santana Dotson, Gilbert Brown.  Oh yeah, and Reggie White.  They're all on defense.  But I suppose Brett Favre took us from 0-16 to Super Bowl Champions with that group.  Good post.
don't forget it was favre who made some of these guys - receivers- good, he was what made the team, when he wasn't turning the ball over. good post

JSwarriors08

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 05:05:17 PM »

Not even close.  I would say 10% still care about what happen this summer, and it just seems like they have a stronger presence because idiots always speak at a higher volume.  Most are COMPLETELY apathetic toward the situation and the ones who aren't are quieting down pretty quickly with the recent turmoil in New York.

I think what sigep meant was you would be a Lions like team this year.  Which has some truth.  Taking out victories over the terrible Lions, you had 4 wins this year.  That's not within sniffing distance of mediocre. 

Of course he'd admit that those GB good teams/Super Bowl teams had a boatload of good players.  He didn't say the opposite. -- But you take away #4 from those teams, and you get something like the Bears with Grossman as QB.   Winners, but supremely flawed.

If you had Favre this year, I think GB would have won 3-4 more games.  Just because of his ability to lead in the 4th quarter, and win tight games. 

Umm... Sorry, but that's crap.  Especially the fourth quarter junk.  That's straight from every TV commentator and ESPN blogger.  It's COMPLETELY unfounded.  Aaron led us on scoring drives late in the game in almost every single one of the close games we lost.  The problem came when the opposing team would get the ball after the Pack went ahead.  Long kickoff returns and big plays late in the game killed us.  It was the failures of the special teams and defense that cost us in almost every case.

Carolina, Minnesota, Tennessee, Chicago, Tampa, Houston, and Jacksonville were ALL games in which the defense gave up points after a tying/go-ahead score or going into the final minutes with a lead.  The only one that wasn't that way was Atlanta, which we lost after a Rodgers pick while we were trailing.  So that's one game that Rodgers failed to put us into a position to come back and win.  

I would argue that had Favre been here this year we might have been WORSE.  Favre was largely ineffective in recent years during such late situations.  For the last 5+ seasons, he has sparked controversy because of his faulty decision making and high tendency to throw interceptions.  In fact, the only game in recent memory that I can recall where he manned up late in a game was the Denver OT game last year when he threw the bomb to Jennings.  But what he did in the Giants game was fairly typical of how he had begun to play.  At least Rodgers didn't collapse and lose games for us by trying to force things that weren't there.  I hated that about Favre, and it's nice to not have to worry about the ridiculous interceptions that he would throw on a regular basis.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Favre and what he did for the Pack. He truly is a legend, but he was fading and having him this year would not have made up for our defensive and special teams-related deficiencies.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 07:40:18 PM »
don't forget it was favre who made some of these guys - receivers- good, he was what made the team, when he wasn't turning the ball over. good post
So you really think that the Packers would've been 0-16 with all of those players minus Favre?  Why didn't the Jets win the Super Bowl this year then?  Shouldn't any team Favre is on win the Super Bowl, regardless of how bad the rest of the team is?  Who's to say Favre made those receivers?  Did he make Greg Jennings?  Why was he so successful with Aaron Rodgers this year then?  Did he make that defense so good in 1997 too?  And our offensive line and running backs?

We had Pro Bowlers all over the field, some Hall of Famers, yet 1 man saved us from being 0-16 and made us into Super Bowl Champions
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter