[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What would you say is SHAPING UP TO BE Marquette's best in-conference Rivalry?

Cincinatti
0 (0%)
Connecticut
0 (0%)
DePaul
4 (16%)
Georgetown
1 (4%)
Louisville
6 (24%)
Notre Dame
1 (4%)
Pittsburgh
13 (52%)
Providence
0 (0%)
Rutgers
0 (0%)
St. John's
0 (0%)
Seton Hall
0 (0%)
South Florida
0 (0%)
Syracuse
0 (0%)
Villanova
0 (0%)
West Virginia
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: MU's best In-Conference Rivalry  (Read 7187 times)

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
MU's best In-Conference Rivalry
« on: November 04, 2006, 11:57:54 AM »
Now that the best overall rivalry poll has pretty must established that the majority believe that Wisconsin is MU's best rivalry overall, let's focus (as suggested by many responders) on what has the makings to be MU's best in-conference rivalry.

Key in on the "what has the makings to be" phrase.  Meaning - we've only played many of our big east opponents a handful of times but please consider the atmosphere, etc. in those games in your vote (e.g. do not necessarily penalize Connecticut because we've only played them once). 
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: MU's best In-Conference Rivalry
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 12:20:25 PM »
That's a tough one .. UConn will be out to avenge their loss last year, but I'm not sure I see the real hatred a rivalry should have.  Now with Pittsburgh, there's some bad blood.  That may be the winner here.

Of course, there's still UL, too, which is always a heated game.

Tough choice.  I'm guessing no real consensus on this one.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 12:29:25 PM »
I gotta go with Louisville - just because I know both sides would consider it a rivalry at this point.  Pitt is still heating up, so with the way the question was asked, I guess that's valid - but I think we've got a couple more seasons to go before we see if it really transpires.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 12:40:49 PM »
Louisville would certainly be my #2 choice.. (and probably georgetown or notre dame #3/4 and cinci #5).

I gave pittsburgh the edge over lousiville because I stood in the al with a few of the players last year and watched them watch the pittsburgh players come walking in.  There was a LOT of glaring going on in those eyes and the air seemed tense enough to slice.. (talk about awesome!).  PLUS I remember that marquette ended pitt's run in the 2003 tournamen in a pretty hard fought and rough game.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 01:22:31 PM »
Have to say Louisville at this point in time as we have played them more times than most of the other teams.  Too many good games against each other. 

Pitt is interesting in that the first game was tough and physical with some cheap shots.  The shot that Dom took in the second half had to be the main reason why there was quite a bit of glaring going back and forth. 

The Depaul rivalry could easily intensify if they play up to their potential in the up coming years.

bheitz

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 01:25:17 PM »
Cincinnati -- Is it just me or does anyone else feel an "emptiness" when it comes to Cincy?  We don't play them this year unless it will be in the BE tournament.  Huggins is gone.  Players and recruits have come and gone due to the turmoil (and graduation  ;D).  Expectations seem to be low for Cincy.  From a rivalry standpoint it's a pretty sad situation.

Louisville -- There have been notable games over the years.  If we could have picked up the 'D' at least at half court we could have had 2 more W's (see Garcia, Francisco and Gaines, Reece).  A definite rival with some great history.

Pittsburgh -- When the schedule came out the first thing I looked for was the Pitt game.  There's the stuff from last year.  This year, there's the added spice of having ESPN Gameday here.  As if these two teams and the game needed any tweaking, they go ahead and give the screws a quarter turn by scheduling the game at the end of the season (reg. season title on the line?), make it a Saturday night tip-off (build anticipation all day), and the ESPN boys drop in for a visit (the cherry on top of the sundae).  Pitt is my choice for the best in conference rivalry.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 01:34:01 PM »
Pittsburgh -- When the schedule came out the first thing I looked for was the Pitt game.

Now that I think back, I did the same thing.  And in my talks with Rocky about which weekend to meet in Milwaukee (we like to do one where two games will be played at home within a the stretch of a three day weekend) I realized that the pitt game wasn't a viable one (the louisville/villanova weekend was chosen) and i was slightly dissapointed in that aspect.  Good news is that we ended up buying the 5-game pack that includes that weekend's games which also happens to include the pitt game.. perhaps by the end of the season I may convince myself to fly back up again to see it!  Now THAT feeling tells me there's a rivalry there..

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 07:12:14 PM »
I think it's gotta be Pitt. ND is a good one, but most of our battles with them came as an independent. UL has always been good, but no conference game matched the intensity of that second Pitt game last year. That was probably the most electric crowd I've seen at the BC, right up there with the UL game in '03. The students especially were out for blood that game after the shot on DJ. This year with two nationally televised games, and College Gameday to close out the year, it is no contest.

thisists

• Starter
  • brew city bred
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 04:02:08 AM »

PLUS I remember that marquette ended pitt's run in the 2003 tournamen in a pretty hard fought and rough game.

Pittsburgh -- When the schedule came out the first thing I looked for was the Pitt game.  There's the stuff from last year.  This year, there's the added spice of having ESPN Gameday here.  As if these two teams and the game needed any tweaking, they go ahead and give the screws a quarter turn by scheduling the game at the end of the season (reg. season title on the line?), make it a Saturday night tip-off (build anticipation all day), and the ESPN boys drop in for a visit (the cherry on top of the sundae).  Pitt is my choice for the best in conference rivalry.

I would noramally say Cincy or UL, but I cant disagree with this for now. I'd be happy to see a real, extended rivalry develop.

ForstK

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 09:23:29 AM »
Think glory in this strong conference will be fleeting.  Regional recruiting competition and bragging rights dust-ups will be constant.  Ergo, da Demons of da blue variety.

HomeCourtAdvantage

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 06:46:46 PM »
Key in on the "what has the makings to be" phrase. 

Without this key, I would say it should be Cincy, Lou'ville, or Notre Dame.

However, with that key in there, I'd have to give the edge to Pitt.
Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 09:29:49 AM »
I may be geographically biased, but I see Georgetown growing into a huge rivalry.  We split last years games (including the BE tourney) but there are other factors.  We're both Basketball only schools with a strong tradition and we're both Jesuit schools.

I can't argue with any of the other choices, though.

feedback