Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: WBBY Shootout  (Read 8905 times)

muwarrior87

• All American
WBBY Shootout
« on: December 24, 2008, 07:44:55 AM »
This week on the 26th and 27th at the Al.  Junior Cadougan's team will be playing. Just wondering who plans on taking a trip to the Al to check it out.  Flavien Davis is also playing.

MUfan12

• All American
Re: WBBY Shootout
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 08:25:11 AM »
I'll be there for Cadougan's games... If I remember right he plays Tosa East on Friday... all the more reason to go cheer on Junior!

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 08:51:54 AM »
MU is also recruitng L. Williams on Juniors team.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 09:15:19 AM »
I'll be there for Cadougan's games... If I remember right he plays Tosa East on Friday... all the more reason to go cheer on Junior!

Amen!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 10:44:03 PM »
MU is also recruitng L. Williams on Juniors team.

Too many Williams to keep straight.  Good thing Nick left.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 04:26:44 PM »
+1000000
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 04:35:27 PM »
FYI everyone, Larry Bradley just got declared eligible to play for Tosa East, and will be playing against Junior tonight!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 05:30:44 PM »
FYI everyone, Larry Bradley just got declared eligible to play for Tosa East, and will be playing against Junior tonight!
Yup, can't wait.  Dude's a stud.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 09:49:18 PM »
how were the games? how'd junior look?

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 10:10:21 PM »
how were the games? how'd junior look?
Just got back, Junior looks pretty good (19 pts), Latavious Williams is a freak of nature (20 pts), he had 5 dunks, 2 of which were one-handed alley-oops.  Christian Life beat Tosa East by about 13.  I'll write more tomorrow, I am going out right now.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 10:13:35 PM »
Junior looked impressive.   The kid is very thick and pretty quick.    He got a nice ovation and was probably a little nervous and missed a few easy shots after penetrating but he was pretty accurate from 3 land tonight, hitting about 3 treys one on a smooth cross over and pop.  Had a couple really impressive drives, used the cross overs/spins well with his bigger frame.  Ended the night with 18 or 20 points and numerous assists as he showed a calm hand at the wheel and his passes were almost always on point.   Get out and see him if you can.

Latavious Williams....my oh my this kid can jump out of the building and he's got a nice touch around the hoop and from what I could tell at the line too.    If we could get him on board look out cause he's also the real McCoy.

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 10:50:34 PM »
Cadougan was 4 of 9 from the free throw line, he'll fit right in.  I have pics and as soon as I get motivated, I'll post them.
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 11:05:25 PM »
a lot of his missed free throws were in and out.   His stroke was fine not clanking bricks up there.   Not worried about it. 

bma725

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 11:59:04 PM »
Latavious Williams....my oh my this kid can jump out of the building and he's got a nice touch around the hoop and from what I could tell at the line too.    If we could get him on board look out cause he's also the real McCoy.

Love to have him, and MU is after him, but his academics need a lot of work.  Christian Life is his third prep school in the last 7 months, which is never a good sign. 

He enrolled at Progressive Christian in May with the goal being to do school work over the summer and first semester to qualify for college ball by the second semester.  But he didn't well in the first part of summer school, so in July he switched and went to the Patterson School for the rest of the summer semester.  Right before the semester started, he changed his mind and decided to go to Christian Life.  Even with the prep year the odds are he won't qualify. 

He's already talked about pulling a Brandon Jennings and going to Europe rather than going to a JUCO.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 01:43:02 AM »
Todd just posted his Cadougan article:
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/36772539.html

Cadougan leads team to victory in Milwaukee
By Todd Rosiak of the Journal Sentinel
Dec. 27, 2008 

Got my first look at Junior Cadougan, MU's point guard of the future, tonight as his Christian Life team took on Wauwatosa East in the marquee game at the Wisconsin Basketball Yearbook Shootout.

The 6-foot-1 senior played 31 of a possible 32 minutes and finished with 19 points, eight assists, two rebounds and a steal to go along with three turnovers. He was 6 for 11 from the floor, 3 for 5 from three-point range and 4 for 9 from the free-throw line in a 63-51 victory over the Red Raiders.

MU fans will have one more chance to see Cadougan in person, as he and Christian Life take on Whitefish Bay Dominican at 8 p.m. Saturday.

Coach Buzz Williams and his staff were at the Al, but unable to watch or even speak to Cadougan because Friday was the final day of a recruiting dead period. Even still, most of MU's team was in attendance for the first half.

I'll have a story on him in Sunday's paper in advance of the Golden Eagles' game with Presbyterian, but here are a few impressions and comments:

-- Cadougan looked a little nervous early on, and admitted all the attention affected his play in the first quarter.

"When I first walked out and people started calling my name and stuff I was like, 'Oh, what's going on?'" he said with a laugh. "Then after that, in the second quarter, I got comfortable. At first I was nervous."

-- Physically he looked a bit too heavy, but that shouldn't be an issue once he gets to MU and is put on a Division I strength and conditioning regimen, and has his diet more closely monitored.

-- The body-type comparisons to Khalid El-Amin and Levance Fields are right on, although Cadougan's lower body appears stronger and more developed than Fields'. He has thick legs and calves, and is built very much like a running back.

-- His jumper -- especially from beyond the arc -- is almost a carbon copy of Fields', in that he kicks his feet out in front of him and has a high, semi-sidewinder release. He looked comfortable and confident shooting from range.

-- The quickness didn't jump out, but again, he's a good deal heavier now than he will be next year at this time. He also didn't appear to be giving maximum effort much of the time, which will also clearly change when he arrives at MU.

-- Cadougan has a nice hesitation/crossover combination that kept defenders off-balance, although how much he'll be able to use it at the next level, where the quickness and athleticism is at a much higher level, will be something to watch.

-- He played a few minutes at shooting guard, but looked much more comfortable with the basketball in his hands, dictating the action.

-- Cadougan took a charge on a fast break in the second quarter -- the only one I remember a Christian Life player taking the whole game. That kind of hustle and toughness will suit him well at the next level.

-- He could have had 3-4 more assists, had his teammates not blown some easy shots early on. Christian Life began the game without its stud big man, Latavious Williams, whose flight into Milwaukee was delayed.

-- Williams made it into the game in the second quarter and didn't waste time making an impact. He hooked up with Cadougan on a couple sick alley-oop dunks, and wound up finishing with 20 points. MU is interested in the ultra-athletic big guy (who appeared to me to be around 6-8), but so are some other big-time schools.

"Latavious, that's my boy," said Cadougan. "I'm trying to get him to come here."

-- Two other members of the Class of 2009-'10, Jeronne Maymon and Dwight Buycks, were also in attendance.

SS Marquette

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 09:02:46 AM »
Love to have him, and MU is after him, but his academics need a lot of work.  Christian Life is his third prep school in the last 7 months, which is never a good sign. 

He enrolled at Progressive Christian in May with the goal being to do school work over the summer and first semester to qualify for college ball by the second semester.  But he didn't well in the first part of summer school, so in July he switched and went to the Patterson School for the rest of the summer semester.  Right before the semester started, he changed his mind and decided to go to Christian Life.  Even with the prep year the odds are he won't qualify. 

He's already talked about pulling a Brandon Jennings and going to Europe rather than going to a JUCO.

If Williams can't get his grades right at diploma mills what chance will he have at a real school?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 03:15:44 PM »
If Williams can't get his grades right at diploma mills what chance will he have at a real school?

I hope about the same chance Wade had.

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 04:05:20 PM »
I hope about the same chance Wade had.

I remember Wade attending one public high school. Did I miss something.

MUFan71

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 05:06:48 PM »

Wade was a non qualifier coming out of high school. He got a chance at MU under prop 48 (I think). I think that is what avid meant.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 06:33:57 PM »
Big East and other BCS schools do not allow non qualifiers, one of the reasons he came to Marqueete and was"overlooked" and commited to MU

bma725

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008, 06:37:36 PM »
Wade was a non qualifier coming out of high school. He got a chance at MU under prop 48 (I think). I think that is what avid meant.

The rules are different now.  First, the non-qualifier rules have changed from Wade's day, and now non-qualifiers cannot receive scholarships.  They end up having to pay their own way, which is why most go to a JUCO for two years instead. 

Another thing to remember is that if MU was in the Big East back when Wade was recruited, we could not have accepted him.  The Big East has rules against non-qualifiers and does not allow a person who has ever been ruled a non-qualifier to play for any Big East school.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008, 06:45:58 PM »

I wasn't getting into the non-qualifier rules at all.  It was an overly simple comment stating that just because the kid struggles in high school doesn't mean he can't come to MU and committ himself to books and basketball just as Wade did. MU surely has the support staff to help a student athlete like Williams, and in a way, it's very much what a school like MU should be about.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2008, 08:23:32 PM »
I don't think MU is recruiting Latavious anymore, are we?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2008, 09:16:27 PM »
I don't think MU is recruiting Latavious anymore, are we?

MU is back in.  MU was involved right after Buzz was named HC, and was in his final five at one point in May.  But then prep school issues started and things cooled down over the summer as people waited to see what LW was going to do.  Once he decided to go to Cadougan's high school they picked up again and have really picked up since the season started. 

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2008, 09:25:48 PM »
Junior looked solid.  I love his pass-first mentality.  He was unselfish, took it to the basket strong and really got his teammates involved.  I think he will really help out at MU and be able to contribute right away.  Also, Latavious looks look a beast.  Good athleticism, had some nice dunks, put-backs and boards.  I'd love to get this kid for next year and I bet him and Cadougan already have good chemistry going since they play together now.  I wonder what the chances are for Williams?

feedback