Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Old Tommy Crean Getting His Ass Handed To Him  (Read 18474 times)

MUSF

• All American
Re: Old Tommy Crean Getting His Ass Handed To Him
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2008, 08:18:26 PM »

From that description, no, that person seems like a hard worker using success to move up the ladder.  However, in this case, it was disgraceful how Crean stole off into that good night.  He completely disrespected his players and did them the disservice of neglecting to notify them in person of his imminent departure.  Why any of his recruits followed him is beyond me.  It's akin to dating someone who's cheating on his/her SO and then leaves that person for you.  What kind of credibility is that?

I am grateful for the time TC put into MU Bball and associated groups (CHOW is probably grateful, too, like you said).  But as it's been said over and again, a great deal of that good was undone and forgotten by the ungainly fashion in which he took his leave.

Good riddance.

The problem here is that most people here are looking at this with fan goggles on.  My descripiton is accurate.  Was the timing unfortunate? Sure, but that was hardly Crean's fault.  Did he go about informing all concerned parties in the best way? No, but he hardly "stole off in the night."  Coaches don't see their jobs the way fans do. They see them as jobs.  That doesn't mean that they don't care about the kids or the program. 

Your girlfriend comparison shows just how blindly irrational fans can be.  You are comparing a job to a romantic relationship. You may have undying loyalty to one school like you would to one girlfriend but most coaches don't.  That is just a fact and if you believe that most coaches wouldn't do what Crean did then you are incredibly naive.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2008, 08:22:38 PM »
It is in fact possible to have a deep relationship with the Jesuits and be pro-choice.

Not as a Catholic.  

Think of the punch in the gut his pro-abortion statement must have been to all those who taught him or worked with him or shared faith with him over the years.

When he signed on at SLU, he said: "I got a Jesuit education, and it has been terrific. Father Kelly, Father Schlimmer, Father Walsh, Father E. Corbert Walsh ... I mean I can go on and on because these guys have been part and parcel to my life." (emphasis added).

Part and parcel to his life?  Hah!  It wasn't even enough of his life to motivate him to keep his yap shut about violating one of the most fundamental teachings of the faith.  

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2008, 08:23:31 PM »
I don't want to hijack a thread here but I feel compelled to raise two points.

One, I'm not sure I would characterize Majerus' view as being "a big fan of abortion."

Two, I don't think the two examples you raise are mutually exclusive.  It is in fact possible to have a deep relationship with the Jesuits and be pro-choice.

Sorry, back to Crean bashing.
i was going to say the same thing

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2008, 08:26:12 PM »
Not as a Catholic.  

Think of the punch in the gut his pro-abortion statement must have been to all those who taught him or worked with him or shared faith with him over the years.

When he signed on at SLU, he said: "I got a Jesuit education, and it has been terrific. Father Kelly, Father Schlimmer, Father Walsh, Father E. Corbert Walsh ... I mean I can go on and on because these guys have been part and parcel to my life." (emphasis added).

Part and parcel to his life?  Hah!  It wasn't even enough of his life to motivate him to keep his yap shut about violating one of the most fundamental teachings of the faith.  

this is how threads get locked. i'm seeing right through the holes in this logic

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2008, 08:51:08 PM »
this is how threads get locked.

And I pray it does soon.

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2008, 08:55:14 PM »
Children's Hospital?!?! WHy? Because of Al's Run...an event that's been taking place for 20 years? Judas Priest...that's a perfect example. Marshalling that thing is practically a job requirement. Dukiet did it. O'Neill did it...I don't know about Deane. But Crean has zero to do with the success of that race.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2008, 09:09:27 PM »
Majerus is a phony.  One good example:  for years he talked about the deep relationship he had with the Jesuits, but then his true colors come through when we learn that he's that he's a big fan of abortion.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_/ai_n11500783

Yet the only concrete example you cite as to Crean being a phony is that he invited Sheets & McCarthy to speak to MU players.  But Majerus is genuine for inviting Orrin Hatch, Jon Hunstsman or George Karl.  Explain that that one.  

Say what you want about Crean--at least he didn't get his team put on NCAA probation .

I have close relationship with the Jesuits.  I am also pro-choice, support gay rights, believe women should not be stoned for adultery, that having a tattoo is not a sin, working on Sunday is ok, it's fine to lend money to my friends, not just my family,  and that eating bacon is not a sin.

Pardner

« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2008, 09:13:23 PM »
"What's the frequency, Kenneth?"

I think we need the pocket fishermen to reel this one in.

nola03

« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2008, 09:47:54 PM »
Children's Hospital?!?! WHy? Because of Al's Run...an event that's been taking place for 20 years? Judas Priest...that's a perfect example. Marshalling that thing is practically a job requirement. Dukiet did it. O'Neill did it...I don't know about Deane. But Crean has zero to do with the success of that race.

People have asked you direct questions yet you never provide an answer but still feel it is appropriate to post in the thread even though you display a pathetic evasiveness.

In this situation, you are acting with cowardice. jmo.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2008, 10:49:27 PM »
for once I agree w/ Nola. Crawl out of your hole and back up your babbling or shut it.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2008, 11:01:45 PM »
That was 2003.  The first round of the Final Four run.  I always love statements like "If ________ hadn't _______ we would've won/lost the game."   Well, ______ did _______.  It was for Diener's heroics, and then we went to the Final Four.  Not to mention that had we lost that game Wade would've stayed and we would've had the best backcourt in the country and a shot at winning the National Championship, so Crean may have been gone after the 2004 season to a higher profile job.  If it weren't for Novak's heroics in the next round we also may have lost.  And Wade's in the next two rounds.  There's always a hero in a Final Four run who if you take away what they did you probably lost somewhere in there.

I also love the people who say "OMG MOVE ON FROM CREAN HE'S GONE!"  And then make an argument.  That's just causing the conversation to continue as someone will surely react to your statements.

Hilarious.

+1

I love this line of thought. That is the beauty of sports. That is why we watch and the ridiculous Diener is just like a thousand similar examples in other championship runs.

If it weren't for David Tyree's ridiculous catch...

If it weren't for Chalmer's last second shot...

If it weren't for the tuck rule...

And so on. The Crean bashing is getting ridiculous and those engaging in it will use anything to rationalize their irrational and misplaced anger.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2008, 12:00:24 AM »

Uhm, no.  Specifically some things he's done for some families and kids outside of the run.  Nothing to do with the run at all.  I know you'll find this hard to believe, but not everything is publicized in the paper, not every donation, etc.  I'll leave it at that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2008, 12:02:04 AM »

From that description, no, that person seems like a hard worker using success to move up the ladder.  However, in this case, it was disgraceful how Crean stole off into that good night.  He completely disrespected his players and did them the disservice of neglecting to notify them in person of his imminent departure.  Why any of his recruits followed him is beyond me. 

His recruits, most of his coaching staff, his managers, etc.  Maybe, there is more to the story then everyone was told.   :-X
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 12:05:01 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2008, 08:09:58 AM »
You are DAMN RIGHT I make judgements on the character of men who use tanning parlors. ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY I do! Are you saying there are people who don't? I don't even believe that.

I'll go you one further, if you don't look at any male who uses a tanning bed with some level of suspicion, you judgement can only generously be called questionable.

I completely agree, Red. In fact, I'll add to this that I'm also suspicious of men with long hair and men who shave their heads, Men are supposed to have simple combover haircuts, and anything outside of that is simply too much vanity and shows that they have a big ego and a lack of judgment.

I also don't trust people who wear corduroys. They just seem unnatural.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2008, 08:16:30 AM »
Anyone know if he's ponied up the soccer donation yet?

Just axing.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2008, 02:58:12 PM »
Not as a Catholic.  

how sad that you have let that become the corner stone of your faith and all that you measure others by.

feedback