Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: wow, that was ugly  (Read 6246 times)

ecompt

• All American
wow, that was ugly
« on: December 13, 2008, 02:59:51 PM »
Other than Lazar, that was painful to watch. Crowd was dead, team was sloppy, bench did nothing at all. Part of it was IPFW being unable to make a shot, the rest was MU going through the motions. We played down to their level.

Blackhat

• All American
Re: wow, that was ugly
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 03:07:24 PM »
I don't think you could be more wrong.    We were getting all of our points out of the half court offense, which is good practice for Big East play.   I thought we looked ugly when we were scoring 100 but playing a lot more loose.   All in all we were efficient on offense and we held the other team in the 50's.   Only time we really got loose or inefficient was when we had the bench guys in there.   I guess, ecompt, it just shows how people have different perceptions about basketball.   I was pleased with today.   

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 03:13:15 PM »
Yes, we did play well in the halfcourt set. But we turned the ball over a ton and Cubes and Acker were absolutely awful. We need someone to come off the bench once in a while and give us a spark, and that didn't happen. I don't know, maybe I was spoiled by the UW game, but I saw no emotion today.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 03:27:15 PM »
Wisconsin game, Finals, IPFW, they probably didn't play the way they should have.  Look at the bright side, their next opponent lost by 15 at home to a then 2-6 Temple team! 

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 03:29:03 PM »
I don't think you can call that the bright side. Tennessee is going to be getting a lashing by Pearl and will most likely come out a lot better for the game against us than they did today.  When you lose by 16 to a team like Temple, you're bound to make it up in one of the next games.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 03:38:03 PM »
Yes, we did play well in the halfcourt set. But we turned the ball over a ton and Cubes and Acker were absolutely awful. We need someone to come off the bench once in a while and give us a spark, and that didn't happen. I don't know, maybe I was spoiled by the UW game, but I saw no emotion today.

Turned ball over a ton?  MU had 13 turnovers, which is right around what they've been averaging this season. 

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 03:53:09 PM »
But we were playing a snail's pace compared to what we played early in the year, so put the 13 turnovers in perspective. Maybe I'm being too picky.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 03:59:45 PM »
Wisconsin game, Finals, IPFW, they probably didn't play the way they should have.  Look at the bright side, their next opponent lost by 15 at home to a then 2-6 Temple team! 

Temple is 5-3 by the way with losses at Buffalo, Clemson, and Miami (OH).  They beat a pretty good Penn State team the other day at PSU.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 04:11:38 PM »
Coming off finals and undoubtedly looking ahead to Tuesday, take the win and be happy. Good scheduling to have a gimme game like this to get the rust off b/4 Tuesday. That's the one that counts. Too bad they lost today--maybe they were looking ahead to Tuesday too. Dayton looked horrible the night before they smoked us. I'm sure Tenn is going to come out all fired up now on Tuesday. We'll need to shoot well to stay in it.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 04:14:12 PM »
Hey, I'm happy with the win and maybe I expected too much on the day after finals ended and before a big game with Tennessee. I have a bad feeling, though, our free-throw shooting is going to bite us in the butt before this season is over.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 04:21:09 PM »
Temple is 5-3 by the way with losses at Buffalo, Clemson, and Miami (OH).  They beat a pretty good Penn State team the other day at PSU.

Just checking in, still like Tenn over MU?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 04:23:37 PM »
Hate to say it but yes.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 04:32:35 PM »

2-6?  I believe temple is 5-3

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 04:34:13 PM »

Yes

mviale

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 04:36:51 PM »
I am bullish on a MU win

Lacrosse218

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 04:43:48 PM »

The game was played at Temple, Tennessee was not at home.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 04:45:44 PM »
It was a solid win but we really do need to get more from our bench.  Cube needs to start knocking down those open 3s.  

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 04:50:43 PM »
MU victory over Tenn if McNeil has a Christmas-like day.  35 points including 7-14 from 3pt land helped a lot.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 04:52:40 PM »
unfortunately, we dont have a bench and we need more from our starting 5.  I only expect 5 minutes of breathing time from the bench players. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 05:02:33 PM »
Luckily the greedy networks allot 50 timeouts per game so a short bench is easier to handle.   

mviale

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2008, 05:04:39 PM »
Luckily the greedy networks allot 50 timeouts per game so a short bench is easier to handle.   
I also think, we have not seen the best game from the 3 amigos yet.  Could it be Tuesday?  Burke, saddle up!

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2008, 05:08:45 PM »

Yup, my fault.....was looking at the kansas score at the same time and mixed up records.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 05:11:54 PM »
unfortunately, we dont have a bench and we need more from our starting 5.  I only expect 5 minutes of breathing time from the bench players. 

Although this wasn't a game to write home about -- I was pleased that Buzz had the 2nd string in a lot more.  They need the experience of playing in the game situation vs. practicing with no pressure, so that during the conference season when are starters are tired and fouling out we can keep up the intensity with a more experienced bench.  Hopefully with a little more experience the bench can contribute more and be comfortable getting put into the game.  Mo and Cooby do have work cut out for them, I agree.

Overall... definitely a little painful to watch, there was shoddy play going on at times, but like most games, the team did have positives.  Making 50% shot percentage in 1st half, lots of rebounding (for the most part), getting many points from paint.   On the other hand, we have to start making free throws consistently.  It's killing me to watch them brick them time and again.  

Win or lose, I am stoked for the Vols game.  Finally an opponent we can sink our teeth into, or at least sharpen them with.  Here is another case of "experience vs. relatively newbie coach" and I am excited for how Buzz rises to the challenge.

Let's go MU!

mviale

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 05:18:13 PM »
Glad to hear another Homer - I think we have a good shot Tuesday.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 05:23:32 PM »

Yup. The IPFW bench outscored ours!
SS Marquette