collapse

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What would MU smell like?  (Read 4212 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
What would MU smell like?
« on: December 11, 2008, 05:30:32 PM »
hmm.. Real Chili .. beer .. teen spirit .. hops .. tannery .. gyro meat ..

New fragrance line strives to evoke your alma mater

By Don Walker of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Dec. 11, 2008
If you have fond memories of your days in college, then surely you can summon the smells as well.

Katie Masik hopes you can. A year and a half ago, Masik launched Masik Collegiate Fragrances and began formulating different signature scents for interested colleges and universities.

Masik, based in Harrisburg, Pa., has launched a scent for the University of North Carolina and Penn State. Next year, there will be fragrances for the universities of Georgia, Florida, Louisiana State and others.

Masik said she is meticulous about getting the right scent. She visits campuses, talks to students and alumni and waits for inspiration to strike.

At LSU, Masik discovered Tiger fans liked to drink bourbon. Lots of it. So Masik, a chemical engineer by training, had her perfumers put a little bourbon aroma in the LSU perfume.

Masik said she had been inundated with requests from schools all over the country. She said she thinks the University of Wisconsin-Madison is interested but didn't think Marquette University was.

"I get a lot of requests for beer smell and sweaty football players," Masik said.

A UW spokesman did not return a call seeking comment, and a Marquette spokesman said he was not aware of any interest from Marquette.

But who wouldn't want a UW fragrance that combines the smells of the Big Ten Pub, the popcorn from the Memorial Union and Lake Mendota algae? Or at Marquette, the combined aroma of hops and the Menomonee Valley?

Wareagle

• Team Captain
Re: What would MU smell like?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 05:50:19 PM »

Masik said she had been inundated with requests from schools all over the country. She said she thinks the University of Wisconsin-Madison is interested ...
"I get a lot of requests for beer smell and sweaty football players," Masik said.
A scent based off the UW football team won't be able to meet expectations.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 06:04:43 PM »
I always enjoyed the scent of 'sleeping bum' at Marquette,

Or white girl getting punched in the face at the bus stop.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 06:54:58 PM »
Seashells and balloons...or yeast

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 07:54:41 PM »
That smell that clings to you after a night (or 20minutes) at Angelo's.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 08:02:14 PM »
It would have to change every day.   Some days the tannery, some days the lake, some days Ambrosia, some days Miller, some days bum.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 08:56:52 PM »
Or white girl getting punched in the face at the bus stop.

Talk about an awkward situation....

It would have to change every day.   some days the lake

My least favorite of the smells of Milwaukee.  Lake Michigan doesn't smell in other places I've been so sometimes I doubt if that smell is the lake.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 08:58:40 PM by TallTitan34 »

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 09:09:24 PM »
I think it's more the rivers. Menomonee specifically.  With the tanneries that dumped carcasses into it, it bubbles sometimes in the morning too and is almost always at least 10 degrees warmer than the air.

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 10:58:27 AM »
i loved being on the top floor of mccormick and being able to tell which way the wind was blowing by the smell that came in.  yeast to the west, tannery and river to the south, lake to the east, and whatever to the north... 
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 11:05:47 AM »
and whatever to the north... 

I believe that was crime you smelled from the north...

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 01:04:50 PM »
Gotta be Real Chili. When I make that recipe the smell really takes me back to absurd discussions at 3AM. I just wish I could remember them.

"Smell of not cleaning your apartment for 8 months, and then moving the furniture," and "Bum peeing in the dumpster behind your Newbridge apartment" would also create a unique aroma.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 02:52:15 PM »
I believe that was crime you smelled from the north...

I know I shouldn't have chuckled. But I did. ;)
SS Marquette

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 08:50:28 PM »
The lanche on Saturday morning?
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 04:12:12 PM »
Gotta be Real Chili. When I make that recipe the smell really takes me back to absurd discussions at 3AM. I just wish I could remember them.

"Smell of not cleaning your apartment for 8 months, and then moving the furniture," and "Bum peeing in the dumpster behind your Newbridge apartment" would also create a unique aroma.

What about the smell coming from the Super Bowl rage-induced hole in the wall of said Newbridge apartment?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 08:40:51 PM »
The smell of "naked beer slide"; a mixture of sweat, stale beer, wet hardwood, cigarette butts, a cruddy old bar rag, and cheap perfume with a hint of schnapps.

BTW, that smell from the east is the dead alewives that would occasionally wash up on shore.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.