collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North  (Read 32192 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: NFC North
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2008, 11:05:13 PM »
Packers/Bears next week will still be a huge game (unless the Pack lays an egg in Jacksonville, then they're season will be officially over).
That game is only big for the Bears.  The Packers will not close out the season 3-0 and the Vikings will not close out 0-3.
As a Bears fan, the Texans game scares me far more than the Saints or Packers do.
Does a game get much worse than 37-3?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2008, 08:56:43 AM »
Anyone that comes out of this miserable steaming dogpile of a division is just gonna be lambs for the slaughter anyways.  Come on now, does anyone here honestly think any of the 3 teams in this division that have a win actually have a shot to win a playoff game?
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2008, 09:13:52 AM »
That game is only big for the Bears.  The Packers will not close out the season 3-0 and the Vikings will not close out 0-3.Does a game get much worse than 37-3?

What does the Packers 37-3 win over the Bears in Lambeau have anything to do with the Bears @ Texans? The Packers were great that day, the Bears sucked, big deal. It's one of 16 games that has no effect (outside injury) on the next game. A game against a potentially dead in the water Packers team, with 11 days between games, at home, is far less scary then going to Houston, playing against a team with nothing to lose.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2008, 09:24:57 AM »
What does the Packers 37-3 win over the Bears in Lambeau have anything to do with the Bears @ Texans? The Packers were great that day, the Bears sucked, big deal. It's one of 16 games that has no effect (outside injury) on the next game. A game against a potentially dead in the water Packers team, with 11 days between games, at home, is far less scary then going to Houston, playing against a team with nothing to lose.

+1
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2008, 10:47:40 AM »

#1, I'm a bears fan.   However, it's interesting how you refer to the Packers as "dead in the water" and Houston as having "nothing to lose."  Aren't both teams "dead in the water" with "nothing to lose".  and to make matters worse, the Packers are our biggest rival.  They will be pumped up for that game, if only to knock us out of the playoff picture.  Both teams are equally scary in my book.  hell, even NO scares me because we cannot stop a good passing offense.  unless it is windy tomorrow, NO will destroy us through the air.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2008, 11:07:46 AM »
Anyone that comes out of this miserable steaming dogpile of a division is just gonna be lambs for the slaughter anyways.  Come on now, does anyone here honestly think any of the 3 teams in this division that have a win actually have a shot to win a playoff game?

I'm inclined to agree at first... but division winners get a 1st round game at home.

Other than maybe Dallas, none of the wildcard teams really impress me enough to think that they could beat and NFC north team at home in December.

Chi, GB and MN are tough places to play (especially in Dec).

MN is tough in the metrodome (especially now that they can rush the passer).

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2008, 11:09:21 AM »
I didn't say the Packers were "dead in the water", I said they had the potential to be. If they lose at Jacksonville on Sunday, stick a fork in them, they're done.

Texans have no hope of going to the playoffs, and they have realized that for weeks. Most seasons in the NFL, you'll see a team like last years Bills, with nothing to play for, come out and go gangbusters the last four/six weeks of the season.

Given the choice and under the ideal circumstances in front of them, I'd much rather take my chances going up against the Packers (11 days in between games, at home, no travel, team your familiar with, awful defense), then going to Houston to take on the Texans. If the Bears still have a shot at the playoffs on December 28th, mark it down, the Texans will end the Bears season.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2008, 11:10:58 AM »
I would add Atlanta to the list of teams that scare me.  They have the Burner running the ball, which is a great neutralizer for both cold stadiums and a pass rush.  And Matt Ryan is also a decent QB.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2008, 11:18:34 AM »
I would add Atlanta to the list of teams that scare me.  They have the Burner running the ball, which is a great neutralizer for both cold stadiums and a pass rush.  And Matt Ryan is also a decent QB.

We'll find out when they play the Vikings in the dome.

I'm not saying the Vikings are a barometer to how good a team is... but at this point there is pretty much the Giants, maybe the Panthers, and then everybody else.

MN might get whipped by ATL in 2 weeks, or they might whip ATL... either way, it will probably tell us how good ATL is.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2008, 11:43:23 AM »
Green Bay will win the division.

write it down.

so i have this note and i'm not sure what to do with it...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2008, 12:14:09 PM »
crumple it up and throw it away.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2008, 12:30:49 PM »
Hards----Do you know anything about pro football?

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2008, 12:40:43 PM »
crumple it up and throw it away.

Don't feel bad, because about 10 weeks ago every analyst in the country agreed with you about the Pack.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2008, 12:51:30 PM »
awful defense
The Bears offense is so bad that it doesn't matter how bad another team's defense is.  I'd just worry about the other team's offense because we know the Bears won't be doing much of scoring no matter what.  I'd be more worried about a team with a good offense and bad defense then the other way around.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2008, 02:00:45 PM »
The Bears offense is so bad that it doesn't matter how bad another team's defense is.  I'd just worry about the other team's offense because we know the Bears won't be doing much of scoring no matter what.  I'd be more worried about a team with a good offense and bad defense then the other way around.

Hey, I appreciate your support of the Packers, it's honorable. Your logic is pretty poor, but we can go through that below.

Bears Offensive Rankings

23.4 PPG  (16th)
308 YPG (24th)
+6 TO Ratio (9th)

For the most part, these are the stats that matter. Their yards per game isn't outstanding, but they're within 1.8 yards from being bumped up to 22nd. Hardly impressive, but by no stretch "so bad".

For a team not doing "much scoring", being 16th in the league in that category I suppose is confusing to you then. I'm not sure what that says about the other half of the league below them.

As for rushing stats, the Bears are 15th in the NFL. Packers are 18th.

I realize the Packers offense is better than the Bears, and that's great, hang your hat on that one. What that gets you is squat come December 29th. If the Packers beat the Bears in two weeks, that's fine, it honestly won't bother me. I expect the Bears to be home on December 29th as well. Neither team deserves a playoff game, much less a home playoff game.

If you're going to make an argument about how "so bad" the Bears offense is, at least try to use even a little rational statistical thought to back it up.

If you want to see a "so bad, won't be doing much of scoring no matter what", please go check out Bengals, Cincinnati.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2008, 02:28:01 PM »
Hey, I appreciate your support of the Packers, it's honorable. Your logic is pretty poor, but we can go through that below.

Bears Offensive Rankings

23.4 PPG  (16th)
308 YPG (24th)
+6 TO Ratio (9th)

For the most part, these are the stats that matter. Their yards per game isn't outstanding, but they're within 1.8 yards from being bumped up to 22nd. Hardly impressive, but by no stretch "so bad".

For a team not doing "much scoring", being 16th in the league in that category I suppose is confusing to you then. I'm not sure what that says about the other half of the league below them.

As for rushing stats, the Bears are 15th in the NFL. Packers are 18th.

I realize the Packers offense is better than the Bears, and that's great, hang your hat on that one. What that gets you is squat come December 29th. If the Packers beat the Bears in two weeks, that's fine, it honestly won't bother me. I expect the Bears to be home on December 29th as well. Neither team deserves a playoff game, much less a home playoff game.

If you're going to make an argument about how "so bad" the Bears offense is, at least try to use even a little rational statistical thought to back it up.

If you want to see a "so bad, won't be doing much of scoring no matter what", please go check out Bengals, Cincinnati.
Haha where in my post do you get "support of the Packers?"  Not once did I mention the Packers.  I'm not saying the Packers are good.  I've said since about Week 7 or Week 8 that the Packers are way too inconsistent.  All I'm saying is the Bears are not a good offensive team, so for them I'd say they're better off matching up against teams with a good defense and bad offense, because at least they can match the defense while hopefully doing just enough on offense.  I guess you can throw out numbers at me if you'd like, especially ones suggesting that they're mediocre, at best, on offense, but I don't think you're going to convince me that the Bears have a good offense.  The best part about their offense, by FAR, is their rushing game, and that's 15th, out of 32 teams.  Says something.  Far from a great offense.

Did I support or defend the Packers in this post too much too?  I suppose I actually did mention them in this post.  Oops
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 02:32:57 PM by wadesworld »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2008, 02:32:33 PM »
I was probably reading too much into it, my apologies.

By no means are they even close to a great offense. On the contrary, I was suggesting they were average. Even their rushing game, with Forte, is only average.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2008, 02:33:56 PM »
I was probably reading too much into it, my apologies.

By no means are they even close to a great offense. On the contrary, I was suggesting they were average. Even their rushing game, with Forte, is only average.
Alright thank you, we can agree that their offense is not very good.  I really didn't mean to be defending the Packers.  We're 5-8.  Clearly we have no argument to be in the playoffs.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »
Hards----Do you know anything about pro football?

plenty, but even experts can be wrong sometimes, kiddo.

you don't have to get bent out of shape because you think (foolishly) Tennessee somehow makes or breaks Marquette's season.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2008, 11:29:26 AM »
So... another week down, two more to play.  How are these 'Packers' doing?  Is one TD and one INT against the 'Jags' good?  I think that's what Erin Rodgers had.

My poor Vikings had to start the lowly Tarvaris Jackson since our ancient & crippled journeyman Frerotte was unable to play.  Tarvaris didn't even get us one of those INT things.  And he did four of those Touchdown throw play things.  You guys are so lucky to have Erin.

Who do you think will be your first round matchup in the playoffs?  Good luck, Packars!!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2008, 11:36:41 AM »

My poor Vikings had to start the lowly Tarvaris Jackson since our ancient & crippled journeyman Frerotte was unable to play.  Tarvaris didn't even get us one of those INT things.  And he did four of those Touchdown throw play things.  You guys are so lucky to have Erin.

Who do you think will be your first round matchup in the playoffs?  Good luck, Packars!!!

Let me start this by saying I am a Bears fan, and hate all things Green & Gold.  There is no way you can tell me you would take T Jack over Rogers at QB.  4 TDs yes, impressive (on 163 yards), but the Vikings D and AP won this game.  It is pretty easy to throw scores when you have a constant home run threat in the backfield, and your D keeps giving you the ball on the opponents side of the field.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2008, 11:40:36 AM »
So... another week down, two more to play.  How are these 'Packers' doing?  Is one TD and one INT against the 'Jags' good?  I think that's what Erin Rodgers had.

You are one of the most clueless football fans I have ever heard (I guess read in this case).  My guess is you liked Culpepper over Favre too...

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2008, 11:44:50 AM »

Good Lord! Please tell me you're joking. Are you actually suggesting that the Vikings backup QB is better than Aaron Rodgers? Really? If not, what's your point? I'm not going to come on here and suggest that the Packers are better than the Vikings (or the Bears for that matter), but your post is just...well, its strange. If you could have ARod today, what are you gonna say? "No thanks. I'll stick with Ferotte/Jackson." Yeah, ok.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2008, 12:26:36 PM »
I'd take Rodgers over Jackson everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.  Not even close.  The Packers problems look to me to be 95% defensive.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2008, 05:10:48 PM »
Jay Bee's "contributions" to the thread suggest he/she is incapable of rational discussion, but is rather adept in making sarcastic and tragically unfunny remarks.

Don't feed the troll, fellas.