[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cords/Strong @ Indiana Game  (Read 6402 times)

THEGYMBAR

Re: Cords/Strong @ Indiana Game
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 03:24:28 PM »
Jmayer---You prepare for bad things before they happen. Never assume that anything is going to happen. They were caught flat footed and shame on them. You prepare for the worst and hope for the best. We are hoping for the best with Buzz without having done any preparation.

Big East Warriors

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 03:30:04 PM »
MU-OOA----No doubt MU does very well in the endowment area and most areas. MU ball is not going to fall apart and neither will MU. But, if you think the ball team does not hold up the lion share of the athletic department you are mistaken. In addition, private schools are going to struggle with the cost of tuition. MU has had record # of applications post Dwade and because of DWade. Similar happened in the 70's under Al.

Do not kid yourself that MU or any other instituition is going to avoid the economic downturn. Plenty of parents paying full boat or more than 75% of the downstroke have seen their wealth cut a great deal in 80 days. As a parent you make different decisions when wealth is suddenly diminished.

Private high schools are already seeing students leave mid semester to local public schools. This is a major turn of events for private education. The sky is not falling but money and students will be tougher to get next September than this past one.

The record number of applications to MU every year isnt just because of dwade as you claim it to be. Im sure some people bring that into their decision making but its not solely because of him, thats a fact. Second, I wasnt just talking about endowment- I was talking about how MU pays its "bills" as a whole. Yes, of course, mens bball brings in a great portion of the revenue for the AD, as I never said it didnt.

Your connection to MU basketball and the economic downturn still doesnt make sense as far as parents and students making decisions based on wealth. You are arguing two different points. Both are valid, but have holes in them.

Ultimately you were upset because you think Strong has too much say in how you think "decisions are made" within university (and his relations to Crean) and have now reverted to your previous arguments (1. MUbball Revenue & 2. The Economy) to try and rectify your first post about Cords and Strong.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 03:36:30 PM »
MU-OOA---I could care less if Bill Cords moved in with TC. He is done and gone. DS is a major player at MU and I believe he should not be friendly with TC. Quite honestly outside of a checkbook I have always questioned his involvement. I appreciate he wants a hobby, but MU has more at stake. That was my reasoning on the economy. MU CANNOT afford to make financial mistakes at this time.

Record # of applications did not happen by accident. A ton of kids that never would have applied did so because of name recognition. Winning basketball means more than just athletic revenues.

Big East Warriors

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 03:54:14 PM »
How can you say this is just a hobby for him? Do you know? Your distaste for Strong is your own right but I'm pretty sure he is not doing it just for fun, and if he is, has he made MU better because of it? (Id look back at Chico's comments to see)

Of course MU cannot afford to make financial mistakes at this time...maybe they should not stop being friends with Strong then! But sarcasm aside, MU is being smart about the financial situations, which is why i raised my points.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 04:00:30 PM »
Cords, Strong, and Crean became friends over the years and collaborated on a successful program.   Cords and Strong have chosen to acknowledge that TC made a grab for the golden ring.   I have yet to hear any of them throw MU under the bus.   Cords and Strong have moved on, forgiven TC for his poor choices he made on the way out the door and chosen to continue their friendship.    Perhaps we should follow their example.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 04:06:52 PM »
MU-OOA--- Distaste for Strong? Hardly, I have a great amount of respect for success. However, I do think other than a checkbook he is not qualified to hire a head coach. DS makes decisions that affect the university and I do not believe that he is qualified.

I think Chico's is the smartest guy on this site. In addition, I love what I perceive to be his views on the program, past, current and future. I do not agree that DS was why TC was hired. He was the reason why he was here for an extra four years. DS has given a great deal to MU and that is awesome. But, he is not qualified to pick a coach.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2008, 10:38:11 PM »
Jmayer---You prepare for bad things before they happen. Never assume that anything is going to happen. They were caught flat footed and shame on them. You prepare for the worst and hope for the best. We are hoping for the best with Buzz without having done any preparation.

What are you talking about?  How was MU caught flat-footed?  TC left like a dick but that had absolutely nothing, I repeat ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the coaching search, which was your original point.  If MU wasn't prepared for the chance that TC might leave eventually, especially after his many overtures in the past, then that is the administration's fault, not TC's.

Should MU "have a qualified search committee in place, a short list and long list" going into each off-season because they think the basketball coach may leave.  Oh wait, they could do those things after they found out the coach is leaving.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 07:56:45 AM by mu_hilltopper »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 11:01:15 PM »

I think Chico's is the smartest guy on this site. In addition, I love what I perceive to be his views on the program, past, current and future. I do not agree that DS was why TC was hired. He was the reason why he was here for an extra four years. DS has given a great deal to MU and that is awesome. But, he is not qualified to pick a coach.

Oh God I hope you're joking!   ;D

I do agree that DS isn't qualified to pick a coach but as we all know, money plays such a big deal in these things that the guy bankrolling is going to have a significant say.  At least a comfort level.  One thing he certainly can do is identify leaders.  As much as Crean's personality grated people, he's still a leader.  We've all had bosses that we think are just complete jags but they get things done, motivate people and ultimately produce.  I believe Strong is good at identifying those traits in people.

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2008, 11:23:34 AM »
We've all had bosses that we think are just complete jags but they get things done, motivate people and ultimately produce.  I believe Strong is good at identifying those traits in people.

Does anything you've seen suggest Buzz contains leadership qualities? That's what's so befuddling!

feedback