Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Is it bad when you're 100% sure Dayton has a better coach then we do?

Yes
17 (40.5%)
No
8 (19%)
We conducted a nationwide search
17 (40.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Is it bad when you're 100% sure Dayton has a better coach than we do?  (Read 6986 times)

RedWebster

• Starter
Just curious

ecompt

• All American
Re: Is it bad when you're 100% sure Dayton has a better coach than we do?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 09:19:37 PM »
Luckily we won't have to worry about that in the Big East. :D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 09:20:53 PM »
Just curious
Abe, what will you do if Buzz beats Bo Ryan next week?

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 09:24:14 PM »
Buzz and defense?  Dayton just went over 50 points in the second half.  Hasn't this happened previously?

warriors_mu

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 09:25:47 PM »

What about our play would suggest that that is likely?

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 09:32:03 PM »
What has wisky done to suggest it won't?

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 09:37:10 PM »
Can we all come back off the cliff... you realize that Dayton also beat us in 2003, that turned out fine. 

Look at last year when dayton beat Louisville, AT LOUISVILLE this early in the season, they turned out fine.

So lets all take a deep deep breath!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 09:42:41 PM »
Anyone still wondering how Hurley could have steered Taylor to Kansas?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriors_mu

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 09:43:01 PM »
It's not so much that we lost or who we lost to, it's how we did it. They outplayed us in every facet of the game. The one advantage that we had was that they went into the bonus in each half, but we shot 64% from the line, and 47% for everybody other than Matthews.

Even though we're 5-1, we haven't had that one great game where we go out and roll over the other team. Buzz needs to make some adjustments or we will have problems when the competition improves in January.

MUFan71

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 09:45:13 PM »
Can we all come back off the cliff... you realize that Dayton also beat us in 2003, that turned out fine. 

Look at last year when dayton beat Louisville, AT LOUISVILLE this early in the season, they turned out fine.

Very good!!!!!! Lets not all drink the koolaid just yet. We have a short bench with some height coming back soon. The young players will get better and we will play in march.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 09:46:23 PM »
So, anyone else want to hop on the band wagon to March Madness that MUFan 71 and I are driving?

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 09:55:36 PM »
So, anyone else want to hop on the band wagon to March Madness that MUFan 71 and I are driving?

Haha, I'm down!

I didn't realize Dayton beat Louisville at Louisville last year...

This loss sucks, but I don't think we are doomed.  I'm just disappointed that our guys aren't playing as well as they could be.  They had a slow start to the season last year as well, so I'm not too worried yet.  I'm sure we'll stomp the badgers next week.

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 10:09:14 PM »

If Buzz beats Bo Ryan next week what I will do is cross the street and enjoy a postgame beverage at Turners, while you're flicking your bean in California.

By the way, aren't you the poster who pointed out our coach's ridiculous comment about not practicing free throws? And you turn around and bust my chops? For White Sox fans, our coach is the Terry Bevington of Marquette basketball!

By the way, very clever guess, but I am not "Abe Froman." But I like the cut of that guy's gib!

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 10:15:52 PM »
interesting post about TT at Kansas.

I got a very nice reply on my last TT post about playing time if he can to MU.  I think I'm owed an apology

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 10:29:01 PM »
What about our play would suggest that that is likely?

Nothing would, I just like to have fun with "superfan" AbeFroman.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 10:29:17 PM »
As good as TT might be, there is no way in hell Buzz was going to sit down one of the Three Amigos to get him into the starting lineup this year. Now would he take some if not all of Acker and Cubes' time? Certainly.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 10:31:50 PM »

By the way, aren't you the poster who pointed out our coach's ridiculous comment about not practicing free throws? And you turn around and bust my chops? For White Sox fans, our coach is the Terry Bevington of Marquette basketball!

Yes, I sure am.  I think everyone knows where I stand with this coaching hire....I hope for the best, I know he busts his ass, great recruiter, etc....hopefully it all works out.  I haven't given up, but tonight was a stinker to be sure.  But I'll stick to my 20 win prediction where I was smacked around a few weeks ago for my pessimism.  I pray I'm wrong, but nothing through the first 6 games suggests that's the case. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 10:42:56 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

BaltimoreMC

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 10:38:13 PM »
This loss sucks - no doubt about it.  But how we respond and learn from it is more important.  It could be the best (wake up call) or worst (confirms massive weaknesses that will be exposed all year long) thing for the team.  We should have our answer next week.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 10:47:53 PM »
For F's sake... I come on here and the world is freaking ending.

Get a grip. We had a blinder tonight. It happens. It was gonna happen at some point. Especially with a short bench. I'd rather have it this weekend than next.

It was pretty clear they were gonna need a wakeup call defensively. The alarm went off tonight.

They can't go from a talented, veteran team to a bunch of guys who can't compete in D1 overnight.

farmdaddy

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 11:32:46 PM »

Get a grip. We had a blinder tonight. It happens. It was gonna happen at some point. Especially with a short bench. I'd rather have it this weekend than next.

It was pretty clear they were gonna need a wakeup call defensively. The alarm went off tonight.

They can't go from a talented, veteran team to a bunch of guys who can't compete in D1 overnight.

+1

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2008, 11:40:28 PM »
hope you are right

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2008, 11:44:54 PM »

Sounds like I have another on the  wagon that is not jumping off the cliff after the first loss!!  Hats off to you MUFan12!!!  Now we need to convince the rest to else realize this isn't the worst thing in the world?

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2008, 11:46:10 PM »
I wonder if Cottingham's a little edgy tonight.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2008, 11:57:15 PM »

Only difference is that they are a really good team with a ton of position players.  We have 4 players on the team.  Not good when you have to start 5.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 11:58:56 PM by ErickJD08 »
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2008, 11:57:31 PM »
Sounds like I have another on the  wagon that is not jumping off the cliff after the first loss!!  Hats off to you MUFan12!!!  Now we need to convince the rest to else realize this isn't the worst thing in the world?
I'm in.  I was sitting courtside for the game and we just flat out didn't play well.  It happens.  We missed a bunch of 0-5 footers that most nights we'll make, we missed a ton of free throws outside of Wes which we won't make all of but we'll make more of, and we gave up a TON of offensive rebounds.  The last thing scares me a bit, but Fulce and Otule will definitely help the cause.  We were 1 shot away from the Sweet 16 last year and have basically the same team back, just a year older.  We'll be right there at the end of the season.  This will wake the team up, especially defensively/rebounding.

By the way, we just played 2 games in 2 days 2 men short and we play at an extremely high paced.  It's early in the season.  It's not out of the question that they just weren't well enough conditioned right now.  Again, by the end of the season, we'll be there.

Just a couple things I hope to see changed...I hope Buzz never goes with a 5 guard lineup again, they ate us alive and didn't even have any typical big men either.  Acker is just too small to play.  Cubillan should play more, love his defense and can stroke it, but never gets the chance.  Lazar also needs to have more offensive sets run for him.  I'd like to see Butler play more and be more aggressive, he seems like he'd be good but I can't tell because he's never in there.  Why does James wait until the game is out of reach to start penetrating?  He got to the hoop at will after we were down 16.  My rant's over, we'll be fine.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter