[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Aaron Bowen: Newest 2010 Warrior  (Read 20046 times)

esotericmindguy

• All American
Re: Aaron Bowen: Newest 2010 Warrior
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 08:19:47 AM »
That first blurb on this kid states that he hit 6 of 6 from behind the arc...sounds like more of a shooter (2G) than anything else.

I too like the idea of suiting up a point, a true big/center, and 3 long athletes at the wing/guard/forward spots.  I'd hate to run an offense against all that length and activity.

Yes you would, just ask anyone who plays louisville, memphis, UNC, etc.  Its obvious that he like tall athletes.

One thought, maybe he took a chance on this wing because he's been told by Wilson that he's coming here and knows the chance of landing a solid 2010 recruit after bringing in 6 studs ahead of them would be difficult.

nola03

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 09:34:56 AM »
Bowen's more of a 2, Harris is more of a 4.  Figuring he still wants another PG in 2010, there's still an open spot for Harris.

Bowen himself was quoted as saying he would likely be a 2/3 combo. That's the same with Williams. And would be the same with Wilson. Not to mention we have Maymon who's a 3/4 combo and Fulce who's a 3/4 combo, oh and don't forget Butler who's a 2/3, and the wing spots are pretty packed up.

I've seen Tobias Harris (and he's 6'6'') play 6-7 times. He is the ideal 3 man in college and less likely a "soft" 4 man, which is the exact issue we've had the last 4-5 years at MU. Everyone got excited after the Roseboro commit because we finally got real size at the 4 and we'd revert back to those troubles if we're looking at Harris exclusively at the 4 since we'd be sitting our size in that lineup.

2010 has four three spots at this point. Bowen's a good start. Buzz needs to sign a PG and C. leaving one scholarship open. I think everyone would prefer a deadeye shooter given our issues over the last 3 seasons but it'd be nice if he went for a lunchpail 6'9'' banger to do the dirty work.

Edited for stupidity.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 09:50:14 AM by nola03 »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 09:42:24 AM »

2010 has four spots at this point. Bowen's a good start. Buzz needs to sign a PG and C leaving one scholarship open. I think everyone would prefer a deadeye shooter given our issues over the last 3 seasons but it'd be nice if he went for a lunchpail 6'9'' banger to do the dirty work.
[/quote]  I think we have 3 spots for 2010 ( Hayward, Acker and Cubillan being seniors next year ).

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 10:53:21 AM »
we picked up a tall athletic 2 who can shoot.  he's not ranked that high and is under the radar because those are the kind of kids you get when you are MU and can't promise PT, and he's going to be coming off the bench for a minimum of 2 years and possiby all 4.  Which is ok, we do need some bench players and we are not UNC so they probably won't be all americans.  Sounds like a good get for MU.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 11:08:09 AM »
BMA is right.

Its hard not to be "under the radar" when you are a 2010 kid who didn't play AAU ball this year. The internet guru's didn't see him play so how are they supposed to rank or evaluate him?

People need to relax with the 1 star stuff. Buzz and Layer have seen this kid multiple times and took him early.

This is not some last second flyer.

Obviously none of us know if he will be good or great. Odds say that some players(even highly ranked ones) will not pan out.

We have to trust the coaches. They think the kid can play at this level......lets hope they are right.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2008, 11:27:58 AM »
That would be GREAT if this kid can shoot.  We've been so concentrated on speed and quickness that we've failed to get guys that can shoot with range.  I must admit that I get a little nervious when I hear "Athletic Wing" because it often means not the best shooter.

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2008, 11:34:04 AM »
Seems an intriguing prospect. Our last foray into Florida was for the vaunted talent of Carlton Christian.

Carlton Christian was extremely talented. Are you saying he wasn't? That guy had a high motor, was very athletic and you could see he had tremendous potential. He wasn't even as "raw" as was suggested before his arrival. Things just didn't work out for him...for whatever reason. I'm going to guess he had a hard time adjusting to a structured college environment, but he had ability there is no doubt about that.

I assume you realize that leaving Marquette's basketball program is not an indication that you have no talent. 

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 12:11:07 PM »
Carlton Christian was fundamentally unsound when it comes to the game of basketball. Yes he did have great athleticism and good motor but top that off with a bad attitude and you have a player that just isn't going to succeed at the D-1 level.

I think we should be happy of this get, florida is a new hotbed for recruiting and if this kid is anywhere near the top then Buzz did an excellent job AGAIN at recruiting.   

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 12:15:05 PM »
Carlton Christian was fundamentally unsound when it comes to the game of basketball. Yes he did have great athleticism and good motor but top that off with a bad attitude and you have a player that just isn't going to succeed at the D-1 level.

I totally agree with your point about attitude. But as far as being "fundamentally unsound...." you could also say that about our current point guard and he's going to end up as our all time leading scorer.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2008, 01:20:52 PM »
I totally agree with your point about attitude. But as far as being "fundamentally unsound...." you could also say that about our current point guard and he's going to end up as our all time leading scorer.

Barring injury McNeal will be the all-time leading scorer.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 05:16:05 AM »
Just because Niq isn't the worlds greatest shooter does not make him "fundamentally unsound".  Just FYI, unless you're over 7 feet tall, you are not a pro-prospect (which DJ was and still is) at any time if you're "fundamentally unsound". 

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Aaron Bowen: Newest 2010 Warrior: new article
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 08:29:37 AM »
here is a new article about Bowen

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/112108/hig_358299074.shtml

The Florida Times-Union

November 21, 2008

Wolfson's Bowen selects Marquette

By Jeff Elliott,
The Times-Union

Wolfson basketball player Aaron Bowen became the second junior from Jacksonville in the past two weeks to give a verbal commitment to a Division I school when he announced Thursday that he would attend Marquette University beginning in the fall of 2010.

A week ago, Paxon's Patrick Young issued a similar commitment for Florida.

Bowen, a 6-foot-5, 185-pound forward, averaged a team-high 17.1 points per game as a sophomore for the Wolfpack a year ago. He made 57 percent of his field-goal attempts and shot 70 percent from the free throw line.

"Marquette talked to me about how they would work with me on academics and would help me get a good education, and that's important to me and my family," Bowen said. "Plus the basketball there is good. They play in the tough Big East Conference."

Wolfson coach Bruce Rosebrock put Bowen's commitment to Marquette on the same level as former Wolfpack players Udonis Haslem and Kenny Walker who went on to play for Florida and Alabama, respectively. Rosebrock said it was Bowen's demeanor off the court that sold the Marquette coaches on his standout player.

"The [Marquette] coaches told me it was his behavior, the way he carries himself, his attitude, his family background that really attracted Aaron to them," Rosebrock said. "They run across players that have a lot of ability like Aaron has, but Aaron is the total package of the kind of players they recruit. Not only does he have the upside of talent on the court, but he's a real class act off the court."

Bowen also was pursued by Florida, Florida State, Jacksonville and Auburn. He'll become the first player from the Jacksonville area to attend Marquette on a basketball scholarship.

jeff.elliott@jacksonville.com, 904) 359-4292

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2008, 09:04:39 AM »
NYWarrior,
Thanks for steering this thread back on topic.

Good info,
Sounds like a solid kid...Keep working on your outside shot!

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2008, 09:06:22 AM »
He is only a sophomore and could easily be 6'7" + by College.  Could easily play 2 or 3 maybe 4 with growth

Good Get
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

mviale

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2008, 01:03:45 AM »
Looks like we should score this one for Al:quotes form Bowen's HS coach.

"In high school, we're working on teaching him the game. I learned the game by listening to Al McGuire. He taught me how to be a basketball coach, because I would listen to him every day he was doing those games on TV, listen to him explain things and how it was done, and that's what we're doing with Aaron"

"I'm from New Jersey, so I have no allegiance to the Florida people at all, even though I went to school at Jacksonville University. I love Marquette; I'm a closet Marquette fan. Once Marquette got involved, that was almost a done deal as far as I was concerned."
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2008, 07:31:03 AM »
Looks like we should score this one for Al:quotes form Bowen's HS coach.

"In high school, we're working on teaching him the game. I learned the game by listening to Al McGuire. He taught me how to be a basketball coach, because I would listen to him every day he was doing those games on TV, listen to him explain things and how it was done, and that's what we're doing with Aaron"

"I'm from New Jersey, so I have no allegiance to the Florida people at all, even though I went to school at Jacksonville University. I love Marquette; I'm a closet Marquette fan. Once Marquette got involved, that was almost a done deal as far as I was concerned."

Nice find and thanks to Al for the assist!!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Pardner

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2008, 07:38:13 AM »

Whadda know -- "It's Marquette, It's Marquette"

detroitwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2008, 11:54:05 AM »
Whadda know -- "It's Marquette, It's Marquette"

Nice  :)
Once a warrior always a warrior.

feedback