Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If he looks like a punk, plays like a punk and acts like a punk, he must be . .  (Read 9466 times)

robmufan

• All American
Syracuse Could have trouble
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 10:05:43 PM »
I always knew there was something wrong with this kid!  Sorry if this was posted already...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3760958

Edit: sorry, im a premature poster...it gets me every time!

Warrior Forever

• Starter
Devendorf in Big Trouble
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 06:40:20 AM »
SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- A Syracuse University judicial hearing board has ruled that starting guard Eric Devendorf violated the Student Code of Conduct after allegedly hitting a female student in the face.

The board recommended that Devendorf, a 6-foot-4 junior, be suspended for the remainder of the academic year. He is expected to appeal the decision.

"Any player can still play while the case is under appeal," Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim told ESPN.com on Wednesday, adding he will allow Devendorf to do just that (Syracuse's next game is Saturday against Long Beach State).

The appeals process could take anywhere from 15 to 20 days, Boeheim said.

"He's not going to be treated any differently" during that period, the coach said.

Richard Kesnig, a lawyer who represents the female student, said the university faxed him the decision late Wednesday afternoon.

Devendorf is the third-leading scorer for the Orange (No. 16 ESPN/USA Today, No. 13 AP), averaging 14.1 points and 3.1 assists. He missed most of last season with a torn knee ligament.

Boeheim said he wouldn't have any further comment on Devendorf's case until it is resolved.

🏀

• All American
That a boy, Jimmy. You're player was clearly in the wrong and will have some misconduct violates against him. So instead of being a man and releasing the player from the team, keep playing him.

Makes Huggy Bear look like a mid-level saint.

reinko

• All American
Obviously her face was at fault in getting in front of his face.

esotericmindguy

• All American
In his defense, no one saw the incident and there was no evidence that proved her story.  Not saying he didn't do it, but lets not forget the potential craziness of females. 

reinko

• All American
In his defense, no one saw the incident and there was no evidence that proved her story.  Not saying he didn't do it, but lets not forget the potential craziness of females. 

Wow.  Sweet female blast.  That post is not sexist at all.

esotericmindguy

• All American
Wow.  Sweet female blast.  That post is not sexist at all.

Call them how I see them my boy.

muwarrior87

• All American
Call them how I see them my boy.

sweeping generalizations like that are not needed

nola03

There's a point where sweeping generalization turns into opinion based on experience. I think he's firmly speaking to the latter occurrence. jmo.

esotericmindguy

• All American

And saying Devendorf hit this girl and calling him a punk isn't a sweeping generalization???  Again, not saying he didn't do it or that he isn't a complete punk, but it is possible that this girl is crazy.  You know, your dating this girl, you sleep with her best friend, she gets mad, you tell her she was nothing more than playtime, and she tells everyone you hit her....I've seen it a thousand times.

I mean really, how many times does a girl get smacked at a frat party and no one sees it? 

muwarrior87

• All American
a THOUSAND? losing some credibility there...not that you have much to begin with.  There are past instances where Devendorf has proven he is a "punk".  This is the first time you have ever heard anything about this girl and you are immediately saying it's a bs story made up to get back at him for something he did.  Let's wait until the facts come out completely on it before you start throwing around thoughts that this couldn't have happened.  I'm not going to blast Devendorf for his possible wrongdoings in this alleged incident but lets not write off what this girl is saying just because you've "seen this a thousand times"

EDIT: and if it does come out that this is a made up story by this girl, I would not bring it up in chants a previously stated. That only happens if there is some clout to this, whether he's on the bench or not.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 09:40:12 PM by muwarrior87 »

Pardner

ahem...there was a university judicial hearing and a verdict was determined, after all....I am assuming there was "some evidence to prove her story" and not a lot of evidence to prove that "he didn't do it".   Of course, he has a right to appeal.  

So, what evidence was presented at the hearing to show that he is worthy to play for and attend Syracuse after punching her in the face?

🏀

• All American

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
a THOUSAND? losing some credibility there...not that you have much to begin with.  There are past instances where Devendorf has proven he is a "punk".  This is the first time you have ever heard anything about this girl and you are immediately saying it's a bs story made up to get back at him for something he did.  Let's wait until the facts come out completely on it before you start throwing around thoughts that this couldn't have happened.  I'm not going to blast Devendorf for his possible wrongdoings in this alleged incident but lets not write off what this girl is saying just because you've "seen this a thousand times"

EDIT: and if it does come out that this is a made up story by this girl, I would not bring it up in chants a previously stated. That only happens if there is some clout to this, whether he's on the bench or not.

Chill out.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
There wasn't even enough evidence to press charges, and yet a panel of 5 students, none of whom are even law students FYI, somehow found enough evidence to suspend him for an academic year?  sorry, i don't like the guy, but I'd have to say that the panel is guilty of the same thing as most of you; presumed guilt because of who he is and what he looks like.

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
First of all, who is to say that there weren't criminal charges pressed because 1. the girl didn't want that to happen and refused to testify or, 2. the university intervened and asked the DA to allow them to take care of it in house. 

Second, I don't exactly follow your argument that because the 5 students on the review board aren't law students their determination that this happened and he deserves to be suspended isn't valid.  The jury pool in every criminal case in the country is made up of average everyday citizens.  In fact, a lot of times lawyers in the jury pool get removed by one of the parties because it's easier to profile them (i.e. DA will use peremptory strike on defense attorney).  I would think that 5 peers on a college campus would be less inclined to suspend a basketball player for a year; they (or at least their friends pressuring them) want to see the best basketball team take the floor. 

esotericmindguy

• All American

Gosh, what can I do to gain credibility in the world of MUwarrior87?  Please tell! 

If you would read my posts, all I said was there is a chance she's full of it.....if you can't pick up on the sarcasm because its not in blue then you need a weekend away.

dsfire

• All American
Apparently the local DA handed the case off to the university, per Syracuse's official statement:
In this case, the Onondaga District Attorney’s Office indicated that it believed the proper forum in which this matter should be addressed was the University Judicial System.

Subsequently, the matter proceeded through the University Judicial System and was heard by a panel of five students who considered the presentations of the complainant and the respondent, and then rendered a decision based on the evidence they reviewed and testimony they heard.

Also, Devendorf hasn't denied punching her - his argument was self defense.  Can read all you can stomach at http://www.9wsyr.com/mostpopular/story/Boeheim-Suspending-Devendorf-too-harsh/FI9QtlupykKuWeGzmj4oLg.cspx

edit: Seems there are a lot of different versions of the story going around.  There's a quote from Smith's lawyer (interspersed among Boheim chatter) saying that she never accused Devendorf of punching here at http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2008/12/syracuse_university_coach_jim.html.  Devendorf's lawyer also appears to be pulling out all of the stops in attempting to smear her side of the story.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 01:40:08 PM by dsfire »

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
And saying Devendorf hit this girl and calling him a punk isn't a sweeping generalization???  Again, not saying he didn't do it or that he isn't a complete punk, but it is possible that this girl is crazy.  You know, your dating this girl, you sleep with her best friend, she gets mad, you tell her she was nothing more than playtime, and she tells everyone you hit her....I've seen it a thousand times.

I mean really, how many times does a girl get smacked at a frat party and no one sees it? 

So what you're saying is... people in power are entitled to treat other USE people like dirt?  I'm pretty sure any reasonable person would be upset to hear that he or she has been cheated on with his or her best friend.  Or maybe you're into that?

As for crazy females? yes, crazy enough to let people like you get away with this blatantly offensive crap.  Let me know when you figure out that people are not just means to an end.

Steak

• Walk-On

Steak

• Walk-On
Question.
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2008, 11:11:59 AM »

Steak

• Walk-On
Answer.
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2008, 11:12:35 AM »
SMACK!

esotericmindguy

• All American

So what you're saying is... people in power are entitled to treat other USE people like dirt?  I'm pretty sure any reasonable person would be upset to hear that he or she has been cheated on with his or her best friend.  Or maybe you're into that?

As for crazy females? yes, crazy enough to let people like you get away with this blatantly offensive crap.  Let me know when you figure out that people are not just means to an end.

Oh, I like the way you cross out lines and insert others, great way to give extra meaning to your post....so creative.  Forget it, it was a joke, good grief.  Reread all my posts, just saying its a possibility.

feedback