[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

Shaka interview by Zog from Margo
[Today at 02:08:01 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Props to TC...Hazel can play a little  (Read 3112 times)

The Lens

• All American
Props to TC...Hazel can play a little
« on: November 18, 2008, 11:45:38 AM »
Too early to call him a game changer, but we've seen enough to realize he's not a complete stiff.  I like his game.  Loved how he went right back up with a put back yesterday.  Amazing to think that with SC & TM in that class that Hazel is who would contribute the most.  Hopefully he can keep up the solid contribution against better competition.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Props to TC...Hazel can play a little
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 11:50:15 AM »
I will give TC dap on recruiting him but he also could have put him in the game a tad bit more.  I mean Hazel was coming in with the walk-ons at one point.

On the flip side I do think Hazel has improved a great deal over the summer and wasn't ready to get major minutes last season.  I still think he could have been used a bit more.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 11:57:29 AM »
If Otule and Fulce come back before conference play this may work out in MU's favor.  The first 6 conference games are against lower tier Big East (outside of Nova) competition and both those guys could use that to get into game shape for the stretch run.  We could have 4 front court players that have seen considerable playing time.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 11:57:41 AM »
If by props to TC, you mean, for some reason, Tom Coughlin, I am very interested by why. Did Hazel practice with the Giants? If you mean, Tom Crean, I don't know why you would give him props.

Hazel showed glimpses of potential last year. When he played, he was active. However, Crean, as was his M.O. with anyone not named Wesley Matthews, Jerel McNeal, or Dominic James, never gave him a chance to have consistent minutes.

I have defended Crean often enough on several different topics, but one of my biggest pet peeves about him was the complete roller coaster of a ride that he put players (not the three amigos) through insofar as their minutes were concerned. There was never any consistency. Is it a coincidence that Barro regressed last year after inexplicably being benched to start the season? I think not.

Crean could have given Hazel more minutes last year. He chose not to. Maybe he had good reasons for choosing not to. But, what I and others saw in limited action was an active kid much like the one we saw yesterday. I said last year that Hazel could have helped us. Problem was, neither Hazel nor anyone else on that bench knew when Hazel might get minutes and how many he might get.

Oh well, I digress. And in doing so, I fall into the familiar pattern of beating the "dead Tom Crean horse" that has been beaten so many times. For that, I apologize in advance. I hope, as do you, that Hazel can keep up the contributions against stronger competition. That remains to be seen.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 01:26:49 PM »
If by props to TC, you mean, for some reason, Tom Coughlin, I am very interested by why. Did Hazel practice with the Giants? If you mean, Tom Crean, I don't know why you would give him props.

Hazel showed glimpses of potential last year. When he played, he was active. However, Crean, as was his M.O. with anyone not named Wesley Matthews, Jerel McNeal, or Dominic James, never gave him a chance to have consistent minutes.

I have defended Crean often enough on several different topics, but one of my biggest pet peeves about him was the complete roller coaster of a ride that he put players (not the three amigos) through insofar as their minutes were concerned. There was never any consistency. Is it a coincidence that Barro regressed last year after inexplicably being benched to start the season? I think not.

Crean could have given Hazel more minutes last year. He chose not to. Maybe he had good reasons for choosing not to. But, what I and others saw in limited action was an active kid much like the one we saw yesterday. I said last year that Hazel could have helped us. Problem was, neither Hazel nor anyone else on that bench knew when Hazel might get minutes and how many he might get.

Oh well, I digress. And in doing so, I fall into the familiar pattern of beating the "dead Tom Crean horse" that has been beaten so many times. For that, I apologize in advance. I hope, as do you, that Hazel can keep up the contributions against stronger competition. That remains to be seen.

Totally agree, when players aren't respected or backed by there head coach they start to play fearful and tentative....which is the exact way the Cubillan, Fitz, Barro, basically everybody except 3 gaurds and Hayward.  I'm all for rewarding hard work in practice, but when you play 15 minutes one game and 2 the next you don't know what to think.  Always hated that about Crean.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 02:43:38 PM »
Its a little too early to tell but he looked extremely active AND comfortable.  Burke looks like he has zero confidence in himself.  I think he would be perfectly happy never touching the ball.  The play that he thew down is there many times and hopefully that can make it work.

Also, Jimmy Bulter (not Walter like the announcers called him once, they were terrible out there) looked good too.  I am not going to be idiotic like the announcers and make historical comparisons of a 6'6 SG but I think he will contribute.  I am REALLY interested to see Fulce since Fulce was suppose to be the better of the two. 
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 04:07:04 PM »
well when you always have one eye on the next potential job openeing you do not exactly play or are concerned with the next year. 

QAlso, becareful how quickly you lavish praise on Hazel, he is playing becuase TM transferred and otule is hurt.  the fact that he is undersized and undertalented for a BE PF has not changed despite what he has done against Chi state and Sister Christian

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 04:46:23 PM »
so someone finds a (not a diamond...) shiny rock in the rough and people complain about him for doing so. Sorry his freshman project didn't get enough minutes on a ranked team during big east play.  as if burk and barro didn't need the minutes to get better since they were so polished.  I'm sure if hazel looked crappy you wouldn't be here ragging on crean for brining in another stiff.  Yeah you sound like a bunch of rational evaluators.
Thanks for leaving us with the cupboard full TC, too bad Trevor left or we'd be pretty loaded going into this year.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 05:20:10 PM »
so someone finds a (not a diamond...) shiny rock in the rough and people complain about him for doing so. Sorry his freshman project didn't get enough minutes on a ranked team during big east play.  as if burk and barro didn't need the minutes to get better since they were so polished.  I'm sure if hazel looked crappy you wouldn't be here ragging on crean for brining in another stiff.  Yeah you sound like a bunch of rational evaluators.
Thanks for leaving us with the cupboard full TC, too bad Trevor left or we'd be pretty loaded going into this year.

Isn't it obvious?
If Hazel becomes a solid contributor, it's because Buzz and the current staff did a great job developing him.
If he does little of note over the next three years, it's because Crean recruited yet another stiff.

Pardner

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 05:28:38 PM »
I just want to point out that our 5's are shooting 100% for the season from the field. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 05:32:41 PM »
Give props to TC for recruiting him as a teenager.

Give props to Buzz - and his pre-season workout sessions - for making him into a player.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 05:41:02 PM »
Give props to TC for recruiting him as a teenager.

Give props to Buzz - and his pre-season workout sessions - for making him into a player.

If it were only that simple.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 05:48:39 PM »
I have a hard time giving TC any credit for developing a big man, and I have to believe Buzz would have recruited a better player than Hazel to develop.  I would agree that I'm surprised and impressed with his level of play in the first two games.  He plays very agressive and strong for his size.

I'm watching IUPUI zone TC right now...I too defended TC often, but not when it came to his zone offense, and it's fun to see IU deal with that now. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 06:14:40 PM »
I have a hard time giving TC any credit for developing a big man, and I have to believe Buzz would have recruited a better player than Hazel to develop.  I would agree that I'm surprised and impressed with his level of play in the first two games.  He plays very agressive and strong for his size.

I'm watching IUPUI zone TC right now...I too defended TC often, but not when it came to his zone offense, and it's fun to see IU deal with that now. 
I just turned it on, IU on a 16-0 run right now. Nick Williams playing
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 06:21:03 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 11:12:25 PM »
I just turned it on, IU on a 16-0 run right now. Nick Williams playing

IU barely squeaked past. It could be even worse than expected in Bloomington this year.
Of course, Ed Hightower AND Tim Higgins refereed tonight's game, so how much worse can it really get?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 11:29:45 PM »
They'll win 8 to 10 games and go anywhere from 0-18 to 2-16 in the Big Ten.  Yes, it will be a brutal year for them but his leash is very long.